Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y: Do I have a suspension issue?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, I've just switched from a 2019 Model 3 to a June 2021 Model Y, Dual Motor, Long Range, 20" Turbine wheels. After a few weeks I just dont like the ride especially at speeds pver 60mph. I've tried all 3 steering settings, Sport feels the most solid. When I am driving at speed I feel like the vehicle is on the edge of losing control. I dont know how to best to descrivbe it as a combo of a loose waggle. If thats how the ride I guess I will live with it. I dont want to go back to a M3 and really an S or X is not in my future. Ideas? Options? Thanks all!

How long have you had it? Can you drive another one to see if it feels the same as yours?

I would start with the basics. Some of my cars have been sensitive to tire pressure. Make sure it is the same all around. I once had a new car with loose lug nuts and didn't figure that one out until one fell off going down the road. Checked all the others and 2 wheels were pretty loose. Unlikely here but you never know. Alignment can be an issue, especially if you hit something and knocked it out.

Is it bad on all roads over 60? Any changes when braking or accelerating?

I have a MY LR on 19's and even up into triple digit speeds it never feels like it wants to waggle at all. It generally feels pretty composed for what it is.

The M3 and MY are nearly identical. MY handles like a heavier, taller M3.

Hi, I've just switched from a 2019 Model 3 to a June 2021 Model Y, Dual Motor, Long Range, 20" Turbine wheels. After a few weeks I just dont like the ride especially at speeds pver 60mph. I've tried all 3 steering settings, Sport feels the most solid. When I am driving at speed I feel like the vehicle is on the edge of losing control. I dont know how to best to descrivbe it as a combo of a loose waggle. If thats how the ride I guess I will live with it. I dont want to go back to a M3 and really an S or X is not in my future. Ideas? Options? Thanks all!

Agreed. MY handling is great, especially at high-speeds.

I have a MY LR on 19's and even up into triple digit speeds it never feels like it wants to waggle at all. It generally feels pretty composed for what it is.

Reactions: GeezerSquid
Just an idea, but I too was disappointed with how my Model Y was acting at Hwy speed. What ended up being the issue was "Lane Departure Avoidance." It was always fighting my input, and made it seem like I was having to constantly correct the cars heading...and the car was resisting.

So, if you have it on try turning it to "off" or "warning" and then go for a drive. For whatever reason I actually had to reboot the car after turning it off for it to take effect, not sure this is always the case.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: M3_MikeH
How long have you had it? Can you drive another one to see if it feels the same as yours?

I would start with the basics. Some of my cars have been sensitive to tire pressure. Make sure it is the same all around. I once had a new car with loose lug nuts and didn't figure that one out until one fell off going down the road. Checked all the others and 2 wheels were pretty loose. Unlikely here but you never know. Alignment can be an issue, especially if you hit something and knocked it out.

Is it bad on all roads over 60? Any changes when braking or accelerating?

Im hoping the service center will have one I can drive to compare too. I've had the car almost a month now, noticed a couple weeks back, thought it was in my head.... but its not. My first thought was loose lugs. I will let Tesla check it all out opn their dime and time. The speeds where it gets bad is from 65-75 so that means highways, once I go thru 80 its pretty smooth again

Just an idea, but I too was disappointed with how my Model Y was acting at Hwy speed. What ended up being the issue was "Lane Departure Avoidance." It was always fighting my input, and made it seem like I was having to constantly correct the cars heading...and the car was resisting.

So, if you have it on try turning it to "off" or "warning" and then go for a drive. For whatever reason I actually had to reboot the car after turning it off for it to take effect, not sure this is always the case.
Rebooting seemed to cure the issue. I've driven it for a couple days now. No issues.

Reactions: JohnSnowNW