Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y - does it need a tint for heat?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Coming from a Model S where without a heat rejecting tint, the a/c had to work overtime to keep up with trying (and failing) to keep the cabin cool. Once I had Spectra Photosync tinting done, it was a night a day difference in comfort. What I'm wondering is, given that most of the windows are already tinted on the Y, for those of you familiar with this situation have you found it necessary to get tinting done? I did do a test drive, but the car was pre-cooled so I can't tell if it was an issue.

I have not had any additional tinting done. At 42 degrees North, during one of the warmest summers on record, the Y does a fairly good job at handling the heat. Yes, I use Dog Mode a lot while shopping or out of the car for a while. I do use a sunshade for the windshield if I'm going to be parked in a sunny area for hours. I've been comfortable in the car during nice sunny days. I have felt the roof and it seems warm to the touch.

• Helpful
Reactions: TrevTremaine
I had my MY out and about most of the day here in NC. High was 91, clear skies. I will go with heat rejecting tint on the front pair of windows to match the rears. On the fence about the roof for now.

From my experience, you shouldn't need it on the roof as it's already heat rejecting - at least it is on the S. Thanks for your input. Out of curiosity, which tint did you go with?

Hadn’t collected quotes yet, so I don’t know what’s available in my area. I have a regular shop that’s taken care of my cars that I’ll start with. The local Tesla community doesn’t seem to have forums where I can shop recommendations. I’ll swing back by with pics once done.

From my experience, you shouldn't need it on the roof as it's already heat rejecting - at least it is on the S. Thanks for your input. Out of curiosity, which tint did you go with?

Hadn’t collected quotes yet, so I don’t know what’s available in my area. I have a regular shop that’s taken care of my cars that I’ll start with. The local Tesla community doesn’t seem to have forums where I can shop recommendations. I’ll swing back by with pics once done.

I'll be curious about the tint product itself. While I find the Spectra Photosync great, it's got a bit of a hazy effect too. I'm looking to compare it against those who use the 3M Crystalline.

Reactions: Rcmpnc
Coming from a Model S where without a heat rejecting tint, the a/c had to work overtime to keep up with trying (and failing) to keep the cabin cool. Once I had Spectra Photosync tinting done, it was a night a day difference in comfort. What I'm wondering is, given that most of the windows are already tinted on the Y, for those of you familiar with this situation have you found it necessary to get tinting done? I did do a test drive, but the car was pre-cooled so I can't tell if it was an issue.

Just one data point, but I drove it a few thousand miles in some sunny areas in July (in Denver, where I've found the sun to be pretty hot), and I didn't notice a need for any more tint. I had expected to think it would need some when I got the car, but both my wife and I ended up thinking we wouldn't be doing anything else. I feel the same way driving it around in the heat and sun in Nashville too, but I've always thought Denver was tougher due to the altitude.
Just my experience.

• Informative
Hello from sunny Phoenix, it reached 119 couple of days ago. I was concerned about the glass roof before I got the car - I had the car a car for a month and no issue for me. Even my wife was surprised how well it rejects the heat. My car is garaged and I park under roof at work. If I had to leave the car out in the SUn all day I def. would use sunshades.

• Informative
Just one data point, but I drove it a few thousand miles in some sunny areas in July (in Denver, where I've found the sun to be pretty hot), and I didn't notice a need for any more tint. I had expected to think it would need some when I got the car, but both my wife and I ended up thinking we wouldn't be doing anything else. I feel the same way driving it around in the heat and sun in Nashville too, but I've always thought Denver was tougher due to the altitude.
Just my experience.

In the S, you could actually feel "layers" without the tint. The a/c would keep thing cool from about shoulders down, but above that it became heady with heat on longer drives - the a/c just couldn't keep it cool even with the vents pointed upward. I originally thought it was the heat emanating from the roof, but once the tint was done on all the windows except the sunroof, I found the heat from above is negligible. Also, the a/c doesn't work nearly so hard so there's a range improvement (probably negligible) and it doesn't take nearly so long to cool down. I'll probably get the Y done later on as opposed to right away. I've still got to get some firm research on 3M Crystalline to see how it compares to Spectra Photosync.

My biggest issue with Photosync is the hazing that occurs at certain times of the day. Around dawn and dusk it looks like a dirty windshield. The night time clarity is fine (the darkest part of the tint is 45%) as I wanted to make sure I was able to see outside in the dark.

Reactions: mmanner
im in ATL and the glass roof gets HOT like over 100F on a hot day. I will get it tinted but not sure this will help too much, will see. Also getting windshield tinted. I think it was about $450 for both for the ceramic film. You can go as dark as you want but that has nothing to do with how much heat it will reject. I will prob go 20% on top and 50% windshield. %50 is dark for windshield so many go 80% there, but it does look really nice. Also be careful tinting laws on windshield. Although most cops dont have a way to measure windshield tint (but many can measure side window tint). You can get 20% on the side windows legally - there is a process of getting a note from an optometrist and submitting that to the state (at least here in GA). Just fyi.

Here in el paso texas it was 105+ most of june the ceiling glass factory tint did a good job i never felt much at all but the side definitely front windshield and back definitely had to be tinted so i got ceramic tinted as dark as legally possible