Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y does not see left lane

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Everyone! I have just got my Model Y delivered last month, and I love it a lot! However, after I drove it a while, I noticed my Model Y has a hard time seeing the left lane on some road. I wonder if it's normal or I may have some firmware issue?

Looking forward to your directions ;-)

Left Lane.JPG

It's seeing all three lanes pretty clearly in that image. The visualization shows the things that it's "interested" in, which involves the cars and objects you're interacting with. In this case the cars ahead and behind, and in the adjacent lanes. Traffic going in the opposite direction is probably visible to the system but not rendered since you should not be interacting with it unless it veers across the median.

Upvote 0
It's seeing all three lanes pretty clearly in that image. The visualization shows the things that it's "interested" in, which involves the cars and objects you're interacting with. In this case the cars ahead and behind, and in the adjacent lanes. Traffic going in the opposite direction is probably visible to the system but not rendered since you should not be interacting with it unless it veers across the median.
Thank you for your reply!

Actually, it seems my Model Y sees the broken line but does not recognize the solid yellow line (The visualization shows the left lane in an incomplete way). I tried the auto lane change function on that street, but it was unsuccessful. I also noticed my Model Y sometimes has the same issue on other streets where the roads only have a solid yellow line separating the opposite flow of traffic.😭

Upvote 0
My MY used to 'lose' the lanes to the right of the HOV lane when I'd use the single lane fly-over HOV lanes at some freeway transitions. I'd have to drop out of FSD and move right into the left lane about 1/2 way to make it re-see it. After the BETA FSD update this malady is a lot less. Only see this issue about 3-5% of the time now.

• Informative
Reactions: PecuniaNonOlet
Upvote 0
Thank you for your reply!

Actually, it seems my Model Y sees the broken line but does not recognize the solid yellow line (The visualization shows the left lane in an incomplete way). I tried the auto lane change function on that street, but it was unsuccessful. I also noticed my Model Y sometimes has the same issue on other streets where the roads only have a solid yellow line separating the opposite flow of traffic.😭
I don't think auto lane change works on city streets unless you have FSD Beta... I know on mine, I was trying to figure out why it wasn't working until I noticed the car selected the wife's profile, which doesn't have FSD Beta enabled. Switched profiles, and it worked again.

Upvote 0
My MY used to 'lose' the lanes to the right of the HOV lane when I'd use the single lane fly-over HOV lanes at some freeway transitions. I'd have to drop out of FSD and move right into the left lane about 1/2 way to make it re-see it. After the BETA FSD update this malady is a lot less. Only see this issue about 3-5% of the time now.
Where I am, we don't have the "do not cross solid white, double white/yellow" thing for our carpool lanes. (Kinda sucks actually, since people enter/exit willy nilly)... But anyways, the car seems to be programmed to think that you cannot cross a solid white, so it's a pain in the ass, because AP/FSD will refuse to change lanes across it. If you forget to drop out of AP/FSD and try to go across while signaling, it will try to force you back into the carpool lane.

By the way, on mine I noticed when I use some of the flyover carpool lanes and/or interchanges, it switches visualizations to the city streets mind of car view, even tho I'm still on the freeway. Sometimes I wonder if the switching stacks from freeway/city causes some of these issues with the lanes thing you mentioned.

Upvote 0
Where I am, we don't have the "do not cross solid white, double white/yellow" thing for our carpool lanes. (Kinda sucks actually, since people enter/exit willy nilly)... But anyways, the car seems to be programmed to think that you cannot cross a solid white, so it's a pain in the ass, because AP/FSD will refuse to change lanes across it. If you forget to drop out of AP/FSD and try to go across while signaling, it will try to force you back into the carpool lane.

By the way, on mine I noticed when I use some of the flyover carpool lanes and/or interchanges, it switches visualizations to the city streets mind of car view, even tho I'm still on the freeway. Sometimes I wonder if the switching stacks from freeway/city causes some of these issues with the lanes thing you mentioned.
Yes, I see that too. It will switch to street visualizations and then figure out it's still on fwy and switch back. LOL.

I've found that it does not seem to matter what the line is (dotted, solid or double solid) but the car must see it as a lane in order for FSD to auto lane change. When I'd see the lanes to the right disappear, the cars were still shown in the lanes and I cannot figure out why it did not work out that they were lanes just from the cars in them but hey, it's a computer right? Only does what it's told, right?

Upvote 0
I don't think auto lane change works on city streets unless you have FSD Beta... I know on mine, I was trying to figure out why it wasn't working until I noticed the car selected the wife's profile, which doesn't have FSD Beta enabled. Switched profiles, and it worked again
Actually, my car has the same issue even on some highways. The left lane sometimes will disappear from the visualizations quite frequently. When the left lane disappears from the screen, autopilot lane change will not work even if I manually initiate the turn signal.

Attachments

• Highway.jpg
    Highway.jpg
    293.6 KB · Views: 106
Upvote 0