Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y does privacy glass provide UV protection

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone have references from Tesla that can provide some fact to some of the differing opinions online.

There are posts that say it does and some that says it doesnt provide UV protection in the rear glass

Note, I called a tinting company today and they say the rear already provides UV protection and it's an industry myth to upsell other products

Does anyone have references from Tesla that can provide some fact to some of the differing opinions online.

There are posts that say it does and some that says it doesnt provide UV protection in the rear glass

Note, I called a tinting company today and they say the rear already provides UV protection and it's an industry myth to upsell other products
According to Tesla, 99% UV protection:

With regards to heat specifically:

• Helpful
Reactions: Hairyman

You have to seperate UVa and UVb. Most glass stops UVa but only treated glass stops the problem of UVb. Hence claims of “100% UV protection“ need to be considered with caution unless it is specifically UVb. UVb is the dangerous one.

• Informative
Reactions: Hairyman
You have to seperate UVa and UVb. Most glass stops UVa but only treated glass stops the problem of UVb. Hence claims of “100% UV protection“ need to be considered with caution unless it is specifically UVb. UVb is the dangerous one.
According to the Cancer Council, it is the other way around:
All types of commercial and automobile glass block the majority of UVB, but the degree of UVA transmission depends on the type of glass[4]. While the thickness of glass does affect UV radiation transmission, the effect is limited compared with other factors[5].
However, they also say that both types are dangerous:
Both UVA and UVB are associated with the development of skin cancer[1][2][3].