Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Dog Guard

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Very easy to remove 😀. It’s effectively held in place by the two uprights that hook into the rear of the back seats and are tightened by thumb tightening fixings.
Unlike our previous eTron which I think was the same make ( but could be wrong) which, although very solid, was a real pain to install and remove 😡and the worse design I have encountered so far. So far, very pleased with this for the Model Y

Very easy to remove 😀. It’s effectively held in place by the two uprights that hook into the rear of the back seats and are tightened by thumb tightening fixings.
Unlike our previous eTron which I think was the same make ( but could be wrong) which, although very solid, was a real pain to install and remove 😡and the worse design I have encountered so far. So far, very pleased with this for the Model Y

Thats great, thanks. Off to order one now!

No issues placing order, but an email this morning advising that due to a backlog, there will be a 5-10 day processing time

Indeed. I was able to place an order this morning using my laptop. Just wouldn't work via phone or iPad over the weekend.

And I also got the email advising of the backlog. Not a problem for me timewise as the dog guard will arrive weeks before the Model Y.

Dog guard just ordered. No delivery date yet but received the email indicating a 5-10 day delay - anyone know if this is accurate? Hopefully it will come before 24th when the car arrives. If the MY is shipped with the infamous parcel shelf (or if available as retro fit) I wonder whether you can have both fitted at once?

Dog guard just ordered. No delivery date yet but received the email indicating a 5-10 day delay - anyone know if this is accurate? Hopefully it will come before 24th when the car arrives. If the MY is shipped with the infamous parcel shelf (or if available as retro fit) I wonder whether you can have both fitted at once?

It was accurate in my case. Arrived approx 9 days after ordering and over 2 months before my Model Y, which is arriving at the end of June. It's one of my growing stock of MY accessories taking up space in our dining room :)

Reactions: S3XY T3SLA
Called today and guard made and at the powder coaters. Will likely be a couple of days past the 5-10 days quoted but so be it. Bear this in mind if you do order. Interested to see if it can be left fitted with the ‘new’ parcel shelf - if anyone knows then post otherwise I’ll let you know next week.

Called today and guard made and at the powder coaters. Will likely be a couple of days past the 5-10 days quoted but so be it. Bear this in mind if you do order. Interested to see if it can be left fitted with the ‘new’ parcel shelf - if anyone knows then post otherwise I’ll let you know next week.

Good point on parcel shelf. I hope it fits. Will find out soon enough I suppose.

Daft question, but do the current regs require you to have the dog restrained in the boot (can't call it a trunk - it's not an elephant!).
There are no regulations about restraining canines anywhere in your car. They can ride where you like, but in fairness to your hounds, you might like to think about what would happen to them in the unfortunate event that you or another driver have to stop very quickly. Vets say it is not very pleasant. My dog always travels in a kennel secured in the car by the very effective child restraint system as I do not want her to be a flying missile.

Reactions: Spacerat
There are no regulations about restraining canines anywhere in your car. They can ride where you like, but in fairness to your hounds, you might like to think about what would happen to them in the unfortunate event that you or another driver have to stop very quickly. Vets say it is not very pleasant. My dog always travels in a kennel secured in the car by the very effective child restraint system as I do not want her to be a flying missile.

Although you are doing the correct thing yourself that is actually not correct about the legal aspect. The Highway Code says that they must be restrained and not be a distraction or, in case of an accident, become a danger to you or themselves. Where and how they are restrained isn't specified but the Police/CPS can and do prosecute for having an unrestrained dog although I would guess it would have to be very obvious for them to notice it.

The dog guard fits nicely with the parcel shelf, with lip possible either above or below the restraining knobs.
3591CB14-E12B-4311-AABE-F2D952690FC6.jpeg

Attachments

• 1414C8D1-5D71-4CCD-96F1-F4F0D20A5375.jpeg
    1414C8D1-5D71-4CCD-96F1-F4F0D20A5375.jpeg
    412 KB · Views: 108
Fitted the Guardsman dog guard yesterday. 5 minute job, easy enough to remove if needed. Quality piece of kit, solid fit and no rattles when driving. Put our mutt in the hatch for the first time, all good, although I need to be careful that the hatchback doesn’t crush him when it’s closing :oops:. He needs to learn to stay away from it as he’s always been in the back seat of the previous Model 3. Got me wondering if it has an auto safety cut off if it detects an obstacle when closing?

Anyway, another recommendation for this dog guard, it’s very good indeed.

itish girl names

Anyone got the Guardsman with divider? Interested if the divider pivots to allow lower boot access (did send them a message on Friday, but still waiting for a response).
No responses on this but I have the exact same question.. how easy is it to get access to the deep underfloor storage if you have the mid divider?

As a secondary question - is there any point with the mid divider if the dog is a labrador or am I going to find that she needs the full boot space anyway? (We're only just acquiring said dog, so I can't just check for myself).

Thanks..

No responses on this but I have the exact same question.. how easy is it to get access to the deep underfloor storage if you have the mid divider?

As a secondary question - is there any point with the mid divider if the dog is a labrador or am I going to find that she needs the full boot space anyway? (We're only just acquiring said dog, so I can't just check for myself).

Thanks..

I got in touch with the vendor and they advised the divider doesn't pivot and needs removing every time (they reckoned a few minutes to disassemble and the same to re-assemble), so we didn't go for one. We've also got a fairly sizeable lab, and I would say he needs more than half the boot space anyway.

I got in touch with the vendor and they advised the divider doesn't pivot and needs removing every time (they reckoned a few minutes to disassemble and the same to re-assemble), so we didn't go for one. We've also got a fairly sizeable lab, and I would say he needs more than half the boot space anyway.
Thankyou, that’s really useful info that I couldn’t find anywhere on the internet. That divider’s not cheap either, not too sad to lose it

Reactions: Spacerat
I’ve had the dog guard for a wee while now and happy with it. Couple of things to watch: Firstly I install the parcel shelf when dog not in the boot and when you push back the shelf it catches on the top of the two struts that attach to the rear of the seats. Mine didn’t come with caps and the exposed threads have caused some slight damage to the fabric of the top of the parcel shelf. I’ve since capped them off with dust valve caps. Secondly I’ve stuck some felt on the top tabs that butt against the top of the boot opening so they don’t rub the roof headlining.

It’s not too much of a faff to take the guard off to then drop the seats for big loads. The guard fits easily in the back seats footwell.

Happy with purchase with these tweaks.

Reactions: Mullermn