Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y door opening after going to sleep

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Folks,

I have had my Model Y about 3 weeks now - and about 1,100 miles. Absolutely love it! But - starting this weekend, something weird started occuring opening my door when the car is asleep.

The window doesn't go down all the way, and takes a few seconds to go down the full way - it certainly wasn't doing this before, and when it's not asleep - works as expected. Attached is a video of the behaviour.

I tried rebooting the computer (held down both scroll wheels until system went black and rebooted), but that didn't seem to help anything.

I know I can set up a service call - but just thought i would check here first in case it's something easy... :)

Thanks!

Matt

Something similar happened to my Model Y this AM. When I tried to open the door (car was asleep for several hours) - there was a delay (split second) in it lowering the glass, where the usual behavior was quick drop of the glass as you pull to open the door. Did not happen again though.

I'll try tomorrow AM and see if it persists. May just be a bug on the software update (2020.5.10.8).

Hi Folks,

I have had my Model Y about 3 weeks now - and about 1,100 miles. Absolutely love it! But - starting this weekend, something weird started occuring opening my door when the car is asleep.

The window doesn't go down all the way, and takes a few seconds to go down the full way - it certainly wasn't doing this before, and when it's not asleep - works as expected. Attached is a video of the behaviour.

I tried rebooting the computer (held down both scroll wheels until system went black and rebooted), but that didn't seem to help anything.

I know I can set up a service call - but just thought i would check here first in case it's something easy... :)

Thanks!

Matt
You could also try a hard reboot. It's the same as what you did but first put your foot on the brake and hold it, then the scroll wheels and hold all of them until the Tesla logo appears (about 30 seconds). You should have also held until the Tesla logo came up on the soft reboot as well. BTW, are you running software version 2020.5.10.8?

You could also try a hard reboot. It's the same as what you did but first put your foot on the brake and hold it, then the scroll wheels and hold all of them until the Tesla logo appears (about 30 seconds). You should have also held until the Tesla logo came up on the soft reboot as well. BTW, are you running software version 2020.5.10.8?

I just got 2020.5.10.8 a couple of days ago, and haven't had the problem since.

Thanks for the tip on the hard reboot!

Matt

I heard sometimes the car will go to sleep with the door(s) open, like when you're cleaning your car, and roll up the windows all the way. if you close your door when the windows are up, it will damage the door trim.

Currently my left front window sometimes go up and bounce back down a couple of inches. I had Tesla mobile service come by and he reset it by rolling window down, hold down switch for 5 seconds, then rolling it up, hold up switch for 5 seconds. It worked for a little while, then it started happening to me again a couple days ago. I hope this will be fixed with future firmware updates.

You could also try a hard reboot. It's the same as what you did but first put your foot on the brake and hold it, then the scroll wheels and hold all of them until the Tesla logo appears (about 30 seconds).
I don't believe that is correct. I have never found a difference between the brake and hold or no-brake reboot. I have even seen it mentioned as a Tesla Myth.

The real hard reset when you want to make sure that something is back to normal requires letting the power rail turn off. The fastest way to do this is turn off bluetooth on the car or your phone and then, in the service menu, choose to power off the car. Now get out and close the door, you have ~20 seconds to do this. The goal is to NOT wake the car while it's trying to sleep, so if you have apps that call the car stop them too.

After about 20 minutes it should have gone to sleep and this is the deep sleep that removes all power from all parts of the car except bluetooth/cell/wifi, and the door/temp monitoring. You can now approach the car and try to open the door, you'll need the key card if you have it set to autolock.

I had these steps read to me by a Tesla Tech when my car wouldn't recognize a Supercharger and I was in the middle of the desert so no second charger to go to. Glad I had cell service. Worked like a charm.

• Informative
Reactions: rxlawdude