Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Driver Door Alignment DIY Help

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looking for some help with my driver side door.

Door alignment isn’t bad following the body line it’s almost sucked in too far on the top hinge and too far out on the bottom. So you really have to give it a slam to get to to close properly. Tesla said within spec on delivery. I am going to bring it up but if it can fix it myself saves me a trip up there.

thanks for the help
4D439D4E-38AC-4673-BC4B-30E6C8D5507C.jpeg
C6BD7EC7-989C-48D8-A1CC-B29325793D33.jpeg
B35F76B5-219D-4AC5-A81B-E655E6F5D027.jpeg
image.jpg
4D439D4E-38AC-4673-BC4B-30E6C8D5507C.jpeg
C6BD7EC7-989C-48D8-A1CC-B29325793D33.jpeg
B35F76B5-219D-4AC5-A81B-E655E6F5D027.jpeg
image.jpg

I have the same issue with my passenger side door. It's about a 1/4" sunken in on the fender side where the fender has that outward crease. I have an appointment tomorrow at the Palo Alto service center. Going to see if they will fix it.

Attachments

• IMG_1470.jpg
    IMG_1470.jpg
    357.6 KB · Views: 407
I fixed my M3 driver door a few weeks after arrival. You can adjust the loop/latch bolted to the main body (probably isn't your problem) or adjust the two hinge points. You need to be super careful and only loosen the bolts a tiny bit - just enough to let the door move with a good tug, twist, or push. There are many degrees of freedom the door can move - up/down, forward/backward, tilted upward/downward, twisted inward/outward, etc. It is very easy to get yourself into a tricky situation like I did - everything lined up but if opened up the door, the front door edge would overlap with the front fender edge and chip the paint! Fortunately I noticed this and prevented any damage. There's some alignment tools professionals use and some youtube videos on how people do it, but it is not simple. You may get lucky and nail it on the first adjustment or you may end up making it worse. Just be confident and patient.

Its not hard to adjust yourself. 2 bolts on each door. There will be a lot of guess and check, but I spent roughly 45 min and fine tuned each door to what I think is the best possible alignment (and its not 100% perfect). I also adjusted the front quarter panel as well. You will need a long extension to reach that bolt.
It's pretty tedious work to get it right; I can't imagine they would be willing to spend that much time on it.