Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y dropping in price soon?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As we know, tesla unlike Traditional car companies, actually drop the price on its cars as Elon wants to pass the saving from cost cutting directly to consumers.
As competition heats up, Mach E and VW ID4 coming alive within the next few months, I believe tesla will at least have RWD out and possibly bring out Model Y SR+ to compete. Also not out of the question is dropping price on existing models. It's not fair that late arrival companies get to enjoy 7500 tax credit, but unfortunately 7500 is a lot of money. that 7500 if invested in TSLA at beginning of 2019 would be more than 50k now. It's the difference between ability to afford a decent car and pushing someone of of their budget.
I'm on the boat of debating whether to get Mach E or Model Y. If tesla comes out with a SR+ model y, it's a NO BRAINER for me to get Model Y. Otherwise, it's hard to justify the cost difference.
Crossing fingers...

Don't think they will drop price that much further than it is since the demand is still strong or the Model Y, maybe they will increase the price.

Don't think we will see Model Y SR+ any time soon, Elon has stated the range would be too low.

Reactions: cdswm3
I had a reservation for a Mach-E GT but decided to go with the Model Y mainly because this is my road trip EV and the Supercharger network is a huge bonus. Being the owner of numerous CCS capable EVs, I’ve experienced the issues with CCS chargers and I decided I didn’t want to deal with that on road trips unless I had to. With the rumor mill saying Tesla may release a CCS adapter in the US, it would make an even stronger case of the Model Y over the Mach-E if road trips are your primary use case.

If you’re mainly concerned with local driving, then the Mach-E, especially with tax incentives, is a more compelling proposition.

So you're making a case for Tesla to drop the price on the MY because it's not in your budget? There's no need for Tesla to lower the price on the MY and there is no plan to make a SR+ version. Methinks the Ford Mustang Mach E is calling your name.
I smell a FANBOI, is that you??
Dude, you need to get your fanboy mindset out. Not everyone thinks like you and if you actually READ my whole post you'll see that I argued Tesla dropping price to COMPETE not to satisfy one person. I would LOVE to have model X, but I'm not even entertaining that thought. Me wanting a cheaper Model Y is IRRELEVANT to what Tesla will do. COMPETITION will force Tesla's hand. Not saying they will if people are willing to pay for it and there are strong enough demand. Just like FSD, most people don't think it's worth it as it currently stands, but as long as there are people buying it, there's no need for Elon to drop the price. Me or anyone wanting FSD to drop in price won't matter.
Again, not everyone's a fanboy like you so please do share facts instead of trying to drive people away from Tesla. Hmmm. Are you a troll working for Ford?

There people still waiting for a MY for months. Such much demand it would make zero sense to lower price. I would wager the price increases with new battery.
That's when I'm not sure. If you look at the delivery timeline, it dropped from 4 -8 weeks just a month ago to 1-2 weeks just last week. Either production has ramped up significantly or demand is not keeping up.
Remember, there's only a SMALL segment of the market that's interested in a 50k SUV. It's only a matter of time Elon has to expand the market. Remember the short lived Mid range Model 3?

I don't imagine the Y dropping anytime soon. Already dropped price once and is selling like crazy now. They stopped X and S production for the rest of the year so they can fill demand/exceed forecasts for the Y by end of quarter.
Mach E isn't really going to save you much if you are comparing apples to apples-their low end model doesn't have AWD or the same range. I seriously considered it but at the end of the day it isn't as good of an EV as Tesla. Substantially less range and will be harder to charge on the road. It is a better looking car than the Y though. Just my 2 cents.

Reactions: hlin07 and MP3Mike
sure, Tesla will eventually come out with a Y at a lower price point, but that could be many months away; perhaps late 2021 or 2022 or later. ('soon' is in the eye of the beholdder)

MachE is not competitive yet as the initial production run rate is a drop in the bucket.

Last edited:
Reactions: MP3Mike
That's when I'm not sure. If you look at the delivery timeline, it dropped from 4 -8 weeks just a month ago to 1-2 weeks just last week. Either production has ramped up significantly or demand is not keeping up.
I think this has to do with how they prioritize deliveries; overseas in the beginning of the quarter with longer US wait times, to more local US deliveries at the end. I would imagine going to some of the international Tesla sites and seeing that same 4-8 week timeline there now.

Reactions: hlin07
I don't imagine the Y dropping anytime soon. Already dropped price once and is selling like crazy now. They stopped X and S production for the rest of the year so they can fill demand/exceed forecasts for the Y by end of quarter.
Mach E isn't really going to save you much if you are comparing apples to apples-their low end model doesn't have AWD or the same range. I seriously considered it but at the end of the day it isn't as good of an EV as Tesla. Substantially less range and will be harder to charge on the road. It is a better looking car than the Y though. Just my 2 cents.
I agree with most of what you're saying. Higher end models such as GT, I don't know why people would even both going with Mach E. It's slower, less range and costs more (not factoring fed tax credit). The three advantages I see from Mach E are.
1. Lower Cost (sub 40k SUV market)
2. Exterior looks (Sorry Model Y, Mach E looks better, personal opinion as well)
3. Interior design (It's just simpler to use for an average person, but hey YMMV. Tesla's infotainment system is FAR SUPERIOR.

Strictly speaking for people that have budget limits, Ford has advantage in 40K or below here. But, if tesla comes out with SR+ for Model Y, I see Mach E sales plummet.
One potential outlier or swan event, if Biden admin restores fed tax credit for all EV manufacturers, Tesla not only will sell far more, but TSLA, WATCH OUT.

Me wanting a cheaper Model Y is IRRELEVANT to what Tesla will do. COMPETITION will force Tesla's hand.

What competition? The Mach-E isn't really competition, it is a compliance vehicle. If I recall correctly, they are only planning on making ~50k/year of them. And of that ~60% are going to Europe to prevent/reduce emissions fines. That leaves ~20k/year for the US. (Or just over 1,500/month.) Tesla doesn't release the details, but aren't they currently selling ~10k Model Ys per month? (Or almost 7x as many as Ford is planning to make available in NA.)

Also, Ford will run out the $7,500 tax credit quickly if they actually started selling them. (They have sold ~130k qualifying vehicles so far.)

I agree with most of what you're saying. Higher end models such as GT, I don't know why people would even both going with Mach E. It's slower, less range and costs more (not factoring fed tax credit). The three advantages I see from Mach E are.
1. Lower Cost (sub 40k SUV market)
2. Exterior looks (Sorry Model Y, Mach E looks better, personal opinion as well)
3. Interior design (It's just simpler to use for an average person, but hey YMMV. Tesla's infotainment system is FAR SUPERIOR.

Strictly speaking for people that have budget limits, Ford has advantage in 40K or below here. But, if tesla comes out with SR+ for Model Y, I see Mach E sales plummet.
One potential outlier or swan event, if Biden admin restores fed tax credit for all EV manufacturers, Tesla not only will sell far more, but TSLA, WATCH OUT.

Crazy that there are people that prefer mach e look over tesla, i group y with all the tesla because i can almost never tell which one it is until i really examine it. I do understand everyone is different but man the look and the pony on the front bumper haha cracks me up

What competition? The Mach-E isn't really competition, it is a compliance vehicle. If I recall correctly, they are only planning on making ~50k/year of them. And of that ~60% are going to Europe to prevent/reduce emissions fines. That leaves ~20k/year for the US. (Or just over 1,500/month.) Tesla doesn't release the details, but aren't they currently selling ~10k Model Ys per month? (Or almost 7x as many as Ford is planning to make available in NA.)

Also, Ford will run out the $7,500 tax credit quickly if they actually started selling them. (They have sold ~130k qualifying vehicles so far.)
Hey man, I had the same thought about Mach E, I basically WROTE THEM OFF until this week when a flurry of reviews started on youtube. Either way, I hope Ford succeeds, not only to bring up more competition but also to put pressure on Tesla to address the long stand quality issues that most buyers currently appear to not care as much.