Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y dropping in price soon?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla is investing a TON of money in building expensive new factories to supply the demand for their current cars. They are buying hugely expensive massive casting machines to make their cars more efficient to manufacturer.

Believe they will want to keep their prices as high as possible to recapture those costs while the demand exceeds supply.

Tesla has already stated the currently it cost them less to build the Model Y than the Model 3, and yet they still demand a premium for the Model Y as people see more value in it.

As suppy ramps up, and they begin to match demand, then I believe they will be lowering prices to increase demand.

Crazy that there are people that prefer mach e look over tesla, i group y with all the tesla because i can almost never tell which one it is until i really examine it. I do understand everyone is different but man the look and the pony on the front bumper haha cracks me up

Hey, different stroke for every one. I happen to think Mach E is way better looking than model Y but that’s not why people buy a Tesla right? I’ve yet to hear anyone who said the main reason they are getting a Tesla is because it’s the best looking car on the road....

Reactions: John E.
Didn’t Tesla lower it’s price on MY within a year and MS over time?
But they are trying to make it up with FSD.

Either way, never expect lower prices for anything.... this is not Walmart. Unless there is a major breakthrough in manufacturing or material (maybe the 4680).

Yes, that's what I was going to say. Tesla ALREADY lowered the price of it's Model Y. It was more expensive when it first came out and they adjusted it down. A lot of of the first buyers were understandably pissed. I highly doubt we'll see the price go down any further.

Competition is always great. I honestly hope the Mach E does well. But as dumb as it sounds, it's way more satisfying to say "i drive a Tesla" than "I drive a Ford." And again, as dumb as it may be, that comes with a premium. I also think with Tesla, you're paying for the support. I hope they prove me wrong, but something tells me Ford will treat the Mach E like another one of their cars, where it's on a 4-5 year cycle and out dated after that. Tesla's constantly pushing out updates to all their cars.

TL;DR, the price tag overall on the Y is worth it IMHO

Tesla will not lower the price of the Y, they already lowered the price 1x. And why? They didn’t have demand issues. Your fantasy does not take into account that we were right at the early height of a global pandemic, so they probably wanted to entice buyers and have a full year of profitability. Read the boards quite a few people cxl’d or asked to be delayed.

Tesla has never ever had a full year of making profit. Profitability is the only thing they care about because they’ve almost died (a few times), yes they lowered the price of all their cars in the middle of a global pandemic.

Ford does not yet have the production capacity to be any match and neither does VW. Couple that with the fact that the existing “Tesla Killers” sit and sit on dealer lots. Look at Audi (VW+), Jaguar, Hyundai (Kona) or even the Chevy with the bolt.

I almost pulled the trigger in a brand new I Pace which was discounted $28k (not including state and federal rebates), why didn’t I pull the trigger? Well because Tesla has everyone beat when it comes to battery, software and charging network. So I waited over 6 months. There’s a lot of people like me who will wait for what they feel is the best.

If you don’t have a reservation for the Mach E, you’re going to need to wait until 2022. Remember what I said about production capacity? If you want a cheap 2wd SUV, you should get the Kona. 250+ range and under 40k seems to fit your bill. But don’t hold your breath, Tesla doesn’t need to drop the price with a wait up to 12 weeks. Especially when you consider we’re still in the middle of a raging pandemic.

The only way Tesla will drop the price is if the pandemic gets worse, but if it does, will we have jobs to pay for our toys?

As competition heats up, Mach E and VW ID4 coming alive within the next few months, I believe tesla will at least have RWD out and possibly bring out Model Y SR+ to compete. Also not out of the question is dropping price on existing models.

Mach-E and VW ID.4 are not competitors of Model Y. Their appeal is to a somewhat different audience. Mach-E is a limited production compliance vehicle from Ford supported by not much more than expensive PR. I think it will sell to Ford fans in volumes negligible to Model Y. Next year Mach-E volume is at 50,000 max worldwide. I believe Model Y will be at least 10 times that. VW ID.4 is an appeal to a lower-end segment of the market. So, neither Ford not VW directly compete with Tesla in the next two years at least.

It's not fair that late arrival companies get to enjoy 7500 tax credit, but unfortunately 7500 is a lot of money. that 7500 if invested in TSLA at beginning of 2019 would be more than 50k now. It's the difference between ability to afford a decent car and pushing someone of of their budget.
I'm on the boat of debating whether to get Mach E or Model Y. If tesla comes out with a SR+ model y, it's a NO BRAINER for me to get Model Y. Otherwise, it's hard to justify the cost difference.
Crossing fingers...

Sorry, but you unlikely to get Mach-E next year. And by the way, the federal tax credit for Ford will expire after about 70,000 vehicles, so it is unlikely that when you get your Mach-E in 2022 you still be able to claim $7500.

My strong advice to you, get the ID.4.

Reactions: MP3Mike
Sorry, but you unlikely to get Mach-E next year. And by the way, the federal tax credit for Ford will expire after about 70,000 vehicles, so it is unlikely that when you get your Mach-E in 2022 you still be able to claim $7500.

In fairness it will phase out over a year once they hit 200k sales. But if they are only selling ~20k/year in the US it will take ~3 years before they get there. (They are only selling ~400 other vehicles per month that qualify for the EV tax credit.)

This assumes of course that nothing changes in regards to the tax credit...

• Informative
Reactions: alexgr
In fairness it will phase out over a year once they hit 200k sales. But if they are only selling ~20k/year in the US it will take ~3 years before they get there. (They are only selling ~400 other vehicles per month that qualify for the EV tax credit.)

This assumes of course that nothing changes in regards to the tax credit...
Good point. Agree, at low US market sales volume, the full tax credit for Ford will stay much longer than 1 year.

Competition is always great. I honestly hope the Mach E does well. But as dumb as it sounds, it's way more satisfying to say "i drive a Tesla" than "I drive a Ford." And again, as dumb as it may be, that comes with a premium. I also think with Tesla, you're paying for the support. I hope they prove me wrong, but something tells me Ford will treat the Mach E like another one of their cars, where it's on a 4-5 year cycle and out dated after that. Tesla's constantly pushing out updates to all their cars.

TL;DR, the price tag overall on the Y is worth it IMHO

I dont disagree. Tesla went opposite strategy of Kia/Hyundai. Both made their debut (first impression is huge?) years ago by coming out with low, low end value cheap cars. Over they years, both have changed their products to higher end (Equus? Genesis? Gensis Equus?) products that get great reviews, but most people still think of both as...cheap, value cars.

Tesla came out the gate with OVER priced cars (roadster first, but most mainstream people think of the Model S as the first Tesla costing well over $100k). So the image of Tesla is of very high end cars...

As we know, tesla unlike Traditional car companies, actually drop the price on its cars as Elon wants to pass the saving from cost cutting directly to consumers.
As competition heats up, Mach E and VW ID4 coming alive within the next few months, I believe tesla will at least have RWD out and possibly bring out Model Y SR+ to compete. Also not out of the question is dropping price on existing models. It's not fair that late arrival companies get to enjoy 7500 tax credit, but unfortunately 7500 is a lot of money. that 7500 if invested in TSLA at beginning of 2019 would be more than 50k now. It's the difference between ability to afford a decent car and pushing someone of of their budget.
I'm on the boat of debating whether to get Mach E or Model Y. If tesla comes out with a SR+ model y, it's a NO BRAINER for me to get Model Y. Otherwise, it's hard to justify the cost difference.
Crossing fingers...
Traditional car companies lower their prices ALL the time. They may call it incentives, cashback, employee pricing, end-of-month savings, or a dozen other things, but to say they don't drop the prices on their cars is disingenuous.

Reactions: Ol'Blue
Elon was smart he knew that his advantage in both software AND hardware would evaporate as the years passed. That is why he sunk a ton of money into the supercharger network. Most of the people I talk to when discussing EV's always end up saying the same thing. Tesla is pretty much the only option because of the supercharger network.

I smell a FANBOI, is that you??
Dude, you need to get your fanboy mindset out. Not everyone thinks like you and if you actually READ my whole post you'll see that I argued Tesla dropping price to COMPETE not to satisfy one person. I would LOVE to have model X, but I'm not even entertaining that thought. Me wanting a cheaper Model Y is IRRELEVANT to what Tesla will do. COMPETITION will force Tesla's hand. Not saying they will if people are willing to pay for it and there are strong enough demand. Just like FSD, most people don't think it's worth it as it currently stands, but as long as there are people buying it, there's no need for Elon to drop the price. Me or anyone wanting FSD to drop in price won't matter.
Again, not everyone's a fanboy like you so please do share facts instead of trying to drive people away from Tesla. Hmmm. Are you a troll working for Ford?

Are you serious. His point is that there is no need for Tesla to lower the price so if you want a cheap option get the ford.