Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y dual seat back really hard to push back up?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just got my car back from the first service post-delivery to fix a bunch of QC issues. The one thing they didn't fix was the double back seatback. Once it's down it requires a lot of muscling to lift back up. The single-seat side is super easy to lift. They said that they checked another Y and it was equally had to lift, and therefore didn't do anything?! I assume I'll just have to take it back...

Its heavier than most second-row seat backs on many other cars. The main reason is probably so that when you push the button (in the trunk), the seat will fall forward automatically. That means it needs a heavy spring pushing it forward. I would avoid using that side if possible, and lower the other side AND the middle part. I realize this puts a post poking out horizontally in the middle of the seats.

I have an appointment to further adjust my back driverside door. It is pretty unaligned and doesn't shut reliably.

So I'm I've asked again to fix the seatback. My friend's model 3 doesn't have this problem. And the answer that the other ones are like this so it's ok isn't a solution. The current ones off the line probably have a bad manufacturing process. This seatback takes about 10x the force that the other side takes. My 11-year-old Nissan has a lever to lower the seat and it works the same but takes almost no force to put back up.

We got our Model Y 3 weeks ago. Initially the left rear seat would not fold when pulling the lever. It would unlatch but you had to push it slightly and then it would fold. The tech said the factory had been trying to reduce the force but maybe this one was set too light. The service team (super nice and responsive) said they could fix it and we picked up the car the next day. Now it is like what other people said - 10x the force that the single right seat takes. I suppose there is not a lot of fine adjustment they can do?