Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y eligible for NY Green E-ZPass?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got it. You have to fax or use their message system on your online account to send them a copy of your vehicle registration. Since they don't have the Model Y listed, I just put Model 3 instead. Pretty sure they don't care as long as it shows Tesla.

Took me about 2 weeks before it showed up in the mail. They sent me an external tag that's mounted on the license plate. I called to see if they will switch to an internal tag instead but they just kept saying only external tags work with Tesla's. I didn't bother after this.

• Helpful
Reactions: colea
I got it. You have to fax or use their message system on your online account to send them a copy of your vehicle registration. Since they don't have the Model Y listed, I just put Model 3 instead. Pretty sure they don't care as long as it shows Tesla.

Took me about 2 weeks before it showed up in the mail. They sent me an external tag that's mounted on the license plate. I called to see if they will switch to an internal tag instead but they just kept saying only external tags work with Tesla's. I didn't bother after this.
Very helpful. Thanks!

I didn't feel comfortable listing an innacurate model name.

Are you talking about EZ-Pass or the Clean pass? Clean Pass is just a sticker that allows you to drive on HOV lanes in LIE during rush hours.

I used the green EZ pass in my leased 2018 X5 PHEV, which I returned a few months early this summer. Knowing I was going to buy a MY before the end of this year I held onto the EZ pass. Before I took delivery of my MY I called the appropriate EZ pass department and the representative told me I don't need to send a copy of the MY regi, I just need to update the new license plate number and vehicle model in my account online and continue to use the same green EZ pass. They probably use the license plate to identify the car as a "green" vehicle. The state's list of eligible vehicles isn't updated often. They will still issue the green EZ pass and clean pass stickers even though MY isn't included in their list yet. I encountered this when I took delivery of my 2018 X5 in December 2017.

FWIW -- the EZ Pass system itself does not even have the Model Y in it, so the only way to get a new tag for a Model Y is to claim it is some other vehicle.
I had been referring to the stickers permitting one to ride in the HOV lane...I emailed the DMV again last week inquiring about the status of my request, and they assured me that stickers would be mailed out. Time will tell...

I had been referring to the stickers permitting one to ride in the HOV lane...I emailed the DMV again last week inquiring about the status of my request, and they assured me that stickers would be mailed out. Time will tell...
I;m not even talking about the Green pass or the special EV discounts -- I'm saying that if you go on to the EZ Pass website just to get an EZ Pass, they ask you to select the make and model of your car and Model Y is not an option.

I mailed my application for a NY Green E-Zpass on January 31. In the letter I said that it was for a Model Y, even though this model was not listed on the state website. Yesterday I received a new, license-plate mount tag (elapsed time 7 weeks), though the state still does not list the Model Y. My registration says the car is a Model Y and the E-ZPass site says it is a Model 3.

With our supposedly nation-leading Climate Leadership and Community Protection Act to fight the climate crisis and a big push on zero-emission vehicles, the delay and bureaucratic red tape are a bit frustrating. Also, the brochure's mounting instructions are for the window-style of tag. C'mon, E-ZPass Customer Service folks!