Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y EU Tow Hitch modification for permanent use

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla Model Y hitch (EU)

Non destructive modification for permanent availability DIY

Keeping original mechanics and electrics unmodified, except the cover plate.

Image 14-02-2023 at 15.22.jpg

I love my Teslas, started with a Model S in 2013 after 300.000 KM that car became my wife’s most populair car, and I purchased a new Model 3 that had a HITCH option. Great that it was finally possible to tow trailer or mount a bike rack but the mounting design was apparently an afterthought because the hitch left an large open hole under the rear bumper with an electric connector that was only accessible if you lie down in the mud and stretch your arm into that big hole to connect it. So I modified my Model 3 to have a more permanent and better accessible hitch using all the original components, made a hole in the bottom cover plate for the hitch and moved the electrical outlet to a clamp on the hitch so it was accessible a normal human way using all the original components. Everything was closed and debris free in the bottom.

That became my tow car for a couple of years, I don’t see a hitch as ugly it is a functional element of the car it’s a tool I use regularly and I like to have it as an always available element… But then came the Model Y ,the sweet spot of my typical car needs. European size, lots of space, big door to the space in the back and a flat loading floor and… indeed also a hitch option that could actually tow even more load, great so I bought a Model Y and sold my Model 3.

What a fantastic car is my Model Y this will be my car for long I’m sure, but the hitch option is again a bit of an afterthought. Also an open gap in the back the electrical connector is better than the Model 3 however the EU plug is locked by turning it 45 degrees but your hand cannot really make that turn in the narrow opening. With a bit of force it is possible to lock the connector but it is really hard to unlock it without hurting your fingers. And the big opening in the back is also collecting debris and a visible ugly hole in the bumper, so I started again to design a better solution without modifying the original electrical and mechanical hitch design.

This is what I came up with; On the electrical side I like to have a connector on a hitch clamp just behind the ball. This can be done with an extension cable from the original plug in the back. The mechanical ball assembly must be used as is, we just need to close the gap in the back by using the original cover and make only 2 openings in that plate, one for the big iron rod and one small hole for the extension cable of the 13 pole connector. Everything is nice and clean and easily reversible if needed.

For more details how to do this read the enclosed PDF

IMG_3586.jpeg

Attachments

• Tesla Model Y hitch modification (EU) Complete v1.2 CleanLowres.pdf
    1.5 MB · Views: 183
I don't think the hitch design is an afterthought. Alot of American SUV's have their hitches like this now, with the receiver behind a removable cover. It's the trend these days. I like it because after a few years of use with my bike rack and tow bar, the paint wears off and it begins to look very rusted. Slap the cover on and it looks good as new.

Last edited:
Tesla Model Y hitch (EU)

Non destructive modification for permanent availability DIY

Keeping original mechanics and electrics unmodified, except the cover plate.

View attachment 907043

I love my Teslas, started with a Model S in 2013 after 300.000 KM that car became my wife’s most populair car, and I purchased a new Model 3 that had a HITCH option. Great that it was finally possible to tow trailer or mount a bike rack but the mounting design was apparently an afterthought because the hitch left an large open hole under the rear bumper with an electric connector that was only accessible if you lie down in the mud and stretch your arm into that big hole to connect it. So I modified my Model 3 to have a more permanent and better accessible hitch using all the original components, made a hole in the bottom cover plate for the hitch and moved the electrical outlet to a clamp on the hitch so it was accessible a normal human way using all the original components. Everything was closed and debris free in the bottom.

That became my tow car for a couple of years, I don’t see a hitch as ugly it is a functional element of the car it’s a tool I use regularly and I like to have it as an always available element… But then came the Model Y ,the sweet spot of my typical car needs. European size, lots of space, big door to the space in the back and a flat loading floor and… indeed also a hitch option that could actually tow even more load, great so I bought a Model Y and sold my Model 3.

What a fantastic car is my Model Y this will be my car for long I’m sure, but the hitch option is again a bit of an afterthought. Also an open gap in the back the electrical connector is better than the Model 3 however the EU plug is locked by turning it 45 degrees but your hand cannot really make that turn in the narrow opening. With a bit of force it is possible to lock the connector but it is really hard to unlock it without hurting your fingers. And the big opening in the back is also collecting debris and a visible ugly hole in the bumper, so I started again to design a better solution without modifying the original electrical and mechanical hitch design.

This is what I came up with; On the electrical side I like to have a connector on a hitch clamp just behind the ball. This can be done with an extension cable from the original plug in the back. The mechanical ball assembly must be used as is, we just need to close the gap in the back by using the original cover and make only 2 openings in that plate, one for the big iron rod and one small hole for the extension cable of the 13 pole connector. Everything is nice and clean and easily reversible if needed.

For more details how to do this read the enclosed PDF

View attachment 907044

How do you attach the safety chains when towing?

Keith