Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y excessive battery drain

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have been tracking my odometer mileage vs. what the range on the battery gauge displays for the past 2 full charges.
I have set the battery to stop charging at 80% as recommended. This gives me 256mi based on the battery gauge..
I traveled 99mi based on the odometer reading, yet the battery gauge shows just 69mi left, meaning based on the battery gauge, I traveled 187mi. Under 2k total miles on the vehicle.
A/C is turned off and fan set to "1" after each use, sentry turned off and overheat set to off. My travel of 99 miles is from several short trips w/ none more than 20 miles round trip on roads mainly w/ 25-45mph speed limits- local driving only.

Tesla tech did a history check and claims my vehicle is, to use their words, "operating without fault" and says my Wh/mi is 379 and needs to be at 260 Wh/mi for max driving range. Tesla also suggested, I don't charge until 20% is left on the battery gauge.
I don't drive aggressively and usually keep to the speed limit -maybe 5mph over. I don't think I've gone more than 65mph on my limited travel on a highway. No hills as I live in flat FL. I drive with the a/c set to 72 and turn it on every time I get in. Car is garaged and out of the sun. The foul stinky socks smell each time I start the a/c is a whole different issue.

Has anyone else had this much battery drain? If so, how was is corrected? How did Tesla handle the issue?
Right now, Tesla is saying nothing is wrong with the vehicle, Based on the numbers, I say they're wrong, but don't know where to go to complain and/or get it corrected.
Sorry for the long post- just extremely frustrated with the vehicle's performance and Tesla's (lack of) response
Any help and suggestions is greatly appreciated

Your Wh/mi is pretty high compared to ours. We average closer to 300 Wh/mi on our performance Y. What wheels/tires do you have?

You might check under Autopilot and turn off Summon Standby Mode if it is enabled since that can cause some battery drain when you aren't driving.

MorrisonHiker,
I have 21’’ Überturbine Wheels, which, from my understanding, may account for some of the poor range, but not to the level I'm experiencing.
I will check to see if the Summon Standby Mode is enabled. My issue though is not losing range while parked, I'll get in with the range usually right around where I left off, (been tracking my miles obsessively the past 2 charges) maybe lose a mile or 2 overnight, which is fine to me.
Based on my mileage, the vehicle is driving like there's a brake partially engaged forcing the motors to work harder, draining the battery quicker as I don't drive aggressively. I had it checked and all was clear. This am, I drove 5.2 miles round trip and 10 miles came of the battery gauge.
Thanks,
--MJK8

MorrisonHiker,
I have 21’’ Überturbine Wheels, which, from my understanding, may account for some of the poor range, but not to the level I'm experiencing.
I will check to see if the Summon Standby Mode is enabled. My issue though is not losing range while parked, I'll get in with the range usually right around where I left off, (been tracking my miles obsessively the past 2 charges) maybe lose a mile or 2 overnight, which is fine to me.
Based on my mileage, the vehicle is driving like there's a brake partially engaged forcing the motors to work harder, draining the battery quicker as I don't drive aggressively. I had it checked and all was clear.
Thanks,
--MJK8
You might want to check your Regen setting as well.

Regen set to low. Going to try and use standard mode for this to see if it helps.
I do not have the Summon feature, or at least don't see that on the Control screen. I did not opt of the $8k Full Self Driving Capabilities, which I think includes the Summon feature.
Thanks,
--MJK8

If you're doing a lot of city driving and start/stop this will make a big difference. You should be driving so that you never touch the brake pedal. Takes a bit to get the hang of it but that will get you a lot of miles back, regen is huge apart of efficiency.

Reactions: MrTemple
I have been tracking my odometer mileage vs. what the range on the battery gauge displays for the past 2 full charges.
I have set the battery to stop charging at 80% as recommended. This gives me 256mi based on the battery gauge..
I traveled 99mi based on the odometer reading, yet the battery gauge shows just 69mi left, meaning based on the battery gauge, I traveled 187mi. Under 2k total miles on the vehicle.
A/C is turned off and fan set to "1" after each use, sentry turned off and overheat set to off. My travel of 99 miles is from several short trips w/ none more than 20 miles round trip on roads mainly w/ 25-45mph speed limits- local driving only.

Tesla tech did a history check and claims my vehicle is, to use their words, "operating without fault" and says my Wh/mi is 379 and needs to be at 260 Wh/mi for max driving range. Tesla also suggested, I don't charge until 20% is left on the battery gauge.
I don't drive aggressively and usually keep to the speed limit -maybe 5mph over. I don't think I've gone more than 65mph on my limited travel on a highway. No hills as I live in flat FL. I drive with the a/c set to 72 and turn it on every time I get in. Car is garaged and out of the sun. The foul stinky socks smell each time I start the a/c is a whole different issue.

Has anyone else had this much battery drain? If so, how was is corrected? How did Tesla handle the issue?
Right now, Tesla is saying nothing is wrong with the vehicle, Based on the numbers, I say they're wrong, but don't know where to go to complain and/or get it corrected.
Sorry for the long post- just extremely frustrated with the vehicle's performance and Tesla's (lack of) response
Any help and suggestions is greatly appreciated

Your 379 Wh/mi is the reason for your poor mileage estimate - whether its the driving habit, lack of regen braking, or something internally in your car that's eating up energy without your knowledge. Knock it down by ~100 Wh/mi and you'll be in the range of what you expected from the car.

Reading your driving habits...I wonder if Tesla is wrong and something is using more energy than it's supposed to behind the scenes...

If you're doing a lot of city driving and start/stop this will make a big difference. You should be driving so that you never touch the brake pedal. Takes a bit to get the hang of it but that will get you a lot of miles back, regen is huge apart of efficiency.

Very true. The other day I was actually thinking to myself - i got shitty gas MPG city driving with my prev 3 cars, but I've been getting bomb city driving efficiency with my daily commutes to work (always < 200 Wh/mi w/ regen braking and conservative speeds).

It's been a total inverse for me vs. ICE: my Wh/mi has been superb via city driving; less so via highway where there's minimal regen braking

Regen set to low. Going to try and use standard mode for this to see if it helps.
I do not have the Summon feature, or at least don't see that on the Control screen. I did not opt of the $8k Full Self Driving Capabilities, which I think includes the Summon feature.
Thanks,
--MJK8

Regen is probably the issue, but also check for tire pressure and alignments

Your 379 Wh/mi is the reason for your poor mileage estimate - whether its the driving habit, lack of regen braking, or something internally in your car that's eating up energy without your knowledge. Knock it down by ~100 Wh/mi and you'll be in the range of what you expected from the car.

Reading your driving habits...I wonder if Tesla is wrong and something is using more energy than it's supposed to behind the scenes...

drx10,
Heading out to runs errands in about an hour. Going to set the regen from low to standard to see how much it helps even though I dislike how the vehicle drives with it set to standard. Getting better mileage out of the battery is more important to me at this point.
I think there's something else going on. I'll step on the "gas" pedal slightly from a dead stop and the energy use/Wh/mi chart is extremely high, as if I floored it.
Tesla tech said the same thing about my high Wh/mi, I'm about 100 too high from optimal range, but I really don't feel I'm driving as aggressively as the charts indicate.
Like I said in a previous post, it's almost like the brakes are slightly engaged forcing the motors to work harder resulting in more battery usage.
I set up another service appt for next week as this was the only suggestion I got from the tech who reviewed the vehicle's data and performance.
Thanks for the input.
--MJK8

drx10,
Heading out to runs errands in about an hour. Going to set the regen from low to standard to see how much it helps even though I dislike how the vehicle drives with it set to standard. Getting better mileage out of the battery is more important to me at this point.
I think there's something else going on. I'll step on the "gas" pedal slightly from a dead stop and the energy use/Wh/mi chart is extremely high, as if I floored it.
Tesla tech said the same thing about my high Wh/mi, I'm about 100 too high from optimal range, but I really don't feel I'm driving as aggressively as the charts indicate.
Like I said in a previous post, it's almost like the brakes are slightly engaged forcing the motors to work harder resulting in more battery usage.
I set up another service appt for next week as this was the only suggestion I got from the tech who reviewed the vehicle's data and performance.
Thanks for the input.
--MJK8

Regen can increase the range dramatically, especially in the city stop and go driving. I have heard numbers of over 30% increase in range. Also, your brakes will last forever with regen. Getting used to regen braking is part of getting to driving EVs.

So I just had an overnight test drive in the MYP Stealth with 20" and I drove it like I stole it with low regen on I averaged 280 WH/mi. It would be interesting to know the stats on the energy screen as the battery shows estimated vs actual.

So I just had an overnight test drive in the MYP Stealth with 20" and I drove it like I stole it with low regen on I averaged 280 WH/mi. It would be interesting to know the stats on the energy screen as the battery shows estimated vs actual.

City traffic or highway/cruising. OP says mostly city.

Either way it better than my X. 375 on a good day, 425 if there are hills or over 70.

OP, which car did you come from? It's hard to imagine that you're averaging that high of wh/mile but you're saying you're not flooring it. It's pretty reasonable to guess that you're probably going a little harder than most when you're stepping on the pedal since everyone else is around 300 wh/mile or less.

This is a common concern by owners that check miles achieved vs. miles estimated.

Usually find the they have something turned on like security cameras, automated interior cooling, or are not realizing your car uses some juice just sitting in the garage. They don't realize it uses additional juice when cooling or heating a car multiple times with short trips between.

All sorts of thing effect battery efficiency.

If you really want to "test" your consumption, take one longish trip with reasonable speeds (55) and use cruise control as much as possible. This is the condition that EPA ratings are calculated.

Doing lots of short trips, and adding up all the miles used will most always result in more juice being used than the gauge indicates.

After a while, new owners quit obsessing about these thinga and learn to just enjoy the ride.

Here's a snapshot of my last 13 miles drive using the 15 mile range energy graph.
Trip was 6.5 miles one way (13 round trip) with abot 3.5 of it on a highway never exceeding 60 mph. A/C set to 72 with fan speed on 5
Regen on standard All other functions such as sentry and overheat turned off.
Started w/ 143 on the battery gauge and ended w/ 122 miles on the battery read out. Lost 21 miles on the battery for a 13 mile trip, which is a little better than what I was averaging. I did sit in traffic with about 2 miles left on the trip.
Battery Consumption 15 mi.jpg
Can anyone help me and determine what it going on here?
The entire trip I'm well above the ideal Wh/mi of 260.

Attachments

• Battery Consumption 15 mi.jpg
    Battery Consumption 15 mi.jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 191