Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y - Falcon Wing Doors?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Didn't address my question.

If the Model Y is a 2-row, 5-seat CUV, why would it need FWD? You're not getting anyone or anything into/out of the 3rd row in that case. And wouldn't it be easier to get a child into the 2nd row seat of a Model S with FWD? So why not just put them on the Model S?

First of all, I'd say back when they started the production of the Model S they were not able to implement something like the FWDs and get the production up to speed. Now there's a legacy with the Model S so they are very unlikely to put FWDs on newer Model S versions.The other factor is definitely price. If fancy doors were as cheap as normal doors then we'd probably have the option to install Lamborghini style doors on a VW Jetta.
As for ease of access, I'd say the FWDs are more of a convenience for the second row than the third row so they even make sense if there's only a second row in the vehicle.

Musk says Tesla Model Y compact SUV can see demand of 1M units per year

Nothing on whether it'll have FWD, but confirmation that it's a compact SUV based on 3.

Pure speculation based on nothing on my part time: Maybe they'll make FWD an option, people could choose them or not.

We're talking about the deleted tweet by Elon from back in October 2015 where he specifically mentions that one of the new models (3 or Y) will have FWDs. Since we know the Model 3 doesn't have them, we can be pretty sure they will be on the Model Y.
The Verge

Last edited:
Frankly, I would be happy with sliding (i.e. minivan-style) doors on an SUV. Much simpler than falcon-wing doors, and easier to automate. But the falcon-wing doors look sexy, and give the public something to identify with Tesla. I wouldn't be opposed to having them, but I do worry about the added cost and complexity compared to a sliding door.

For someone who has been around so long, its a wonder you got lost so easily. Here you go little fella...

Future Cars

I actually haven't been around as long as many folks here, I joined in early 2014, I just post a lot on issues that concern me.

I also can't possibly read every post and/or every forum on TMC, especially one like that which is 99% pure speculation. Don't have time for that.

Finally, my question was already answered in Post #2 in this very thread: Model Y - Falcon Wing Doors?

Oh, and a single, flippant, and subsequently deleted tweet from Elon isn't really strong evidence that the MY will have falcon wing doors. All it accomplished was to fuel more rampant speculation. And I'm sorry if I haven't seen every single tweet Elon has made (and then deleted... Seems like a habit of his).

Oh, and a single, flippant, and subsequently deleted tweet from Elon isn't really strong evidence that the MY will have falcon wing doors.
Calm down. You asked why electrek showed a Model Y with falcon-wing doors. I just provided the source for the speculation, that's all. I'm not proclaiming that it definitely would. It's basically one of the few pieces of information we've had from Tesla/Musk on the Model Y.
And I'm sorry if I haven't seen every single tweet Elon has made (and then deleted... Seems like a habit of his).
He does have a habit of tweeting & deleting, doesn't he? He must realize by now that there are too many people watching his every tweet for that to work.

Or maybe he just likes fueling the speculation & discussions. :)

Reactions: HankLloydRight
As I said in the Model Y photoshop thread, no 3rd row reduces FWD's on the Y to a silly gimmick...

Ok, how about pointless, unnecessary gimmick then? Aside from the gee-whiz factor of FWD's, the only legitimate reason to put them on the X was to get better third row access from the second door.

Eliminate the third row in the Y, and FWD's are reduced to a pointless gimmick on the Y.

Reactions: HankLloydRight
I actually haven't been around as long as many folks here, I joined in early 2014, I just post a lot on issues that concern me.

I also can't possibly read every post and/or every forum on TMC, especially one like that which is 99% pure speculation. Don't have time for that.

Finally, my question was already answered in Post #2 in this very thread: Model Y - Falcon Wing Doors?

Oh, and a single, flippant, and subsequently deleted tweet from Elon isn't really strong evidence that the MY will have falcon wing doors. All it accomplished was to fuel more rampant speculation. And I'm sorry if I haven't seen every single tweet Elon has made (and then deleted... Seems like a habit of his).
You missed my point entirely.... I was just pointing out that you are posting about this in the wrong section. And if your question was already answered, why post it again? Derp.

• Disagree
Reactions: WhiteCap
As I said upthread, a lot of X owners love the way the Falcon Wings make getting their kids in and out of child seats a pleasure and not a back-breaking exercise.
I'm also not a parent, but I can't see how doors that open up make the job any easier than does that open out.

But I don't really care enough to dig through the X threads to find out...

I'd prefer a CUV or wagon over a sedan for dog hauling, but FWD's would probably be a non starter for me.

I'm also not a parent, but I can't see how doors that open up make the job any easier than does that open out.

But I don't really care enough to dig through the X threads to find out...

I'd prefer a CUV or wagon over a sedan for dog hauling, but FWD's would probably be a non starter for me.
I don't have a Model X but I've test driven it a couple times. The one time that I really consistently wish I had a Model X instead of my X is when I'm getting the kids out of the car. When they're asleep in their car seats, bending down, leaning in, lifting a 40 pound person out and then standing up is really tough on the back. Even if you bend down at the legs you still have to pull them out of the car and onto your shoulder in one smooth motion. FWD and car seats are a natural match.

For parking spaces in the wild it's even more convenient. If you need to carry or help your kids with car seats, any space that doesn't allow your door to swing fully open is a back-breaker because you have to lean to the side, then bend at the waist, then carry a heavy load with your hands. The contortions I've gotten myself into to get my kids into and out of the car are ridiculous.

• Informative
Reactions: KeRaSh and linkster
I'm also not a parent.

Could have ended your post right there. For parents with kids in car seats, FWDs are a godsend. If you don't have kids in car seats, FWDs are still great for accessing the third row. If you are talking about Model Y with no third row and you don't have kids in car seats ... Perhaps FWDs will be optional in Model Y. Personally I think they won't be available at all in Model Y because Elon's deleted tweet was well before the "hubris" of Model X surfaced.

When they're asleep in their car seats, bending down, leaning in, lifting a 40 pound person out and then standing up is really tough on the back
Not trying to be difficult, but I still don't get it. How does an "open up" door vs "open out" change the bend/lean/lift maneuver?

I get it if there is a car in the next space that keeps you from opening a regular door all the way, but if not, I don't see the difference.

Not trying to be difficult, but I still don't get it. How does an "open up" door vs "open out" change the bend/lean/lift maneuver?

I get it if there is a car in the next space that keeps you from opening a regular door all the way, but if not, I don't see the difference.

Seems like you will just have to try it for yourself. I had a Model S loaner for a week and getting my son in and out of his car seat was hell. I would never buy a Model S because of that.

• Informative
Reactions: linkster

Watch this video
of putting a kid in a Model X vs this video
of putting a kid in a Model S. I'm sure there are others, those just come to mind. The opening on an X door for getting a toddler into a carseat is just a lot bigger.

It's really not that hard to understand. The FWDs open in a way that you can stand upright directly next to the second row and handle your child because they also upen up part of the roof area, not just the sides. If you stood in the same position next to a Model S you would simply look over the car or stare down at the roof since the door only opens up up to your chest. Therefore you'd have to lean in to do the same thing as with a Model X as others have already described.
It's really only a gimmick if you haven't experienced them before (in person or in videos like "Like Tesla"'s).

Basically it's the difference between being able to lift a load without having a restriction over your head vs. not. If I ask you to pick up a sack of potatoes while bent over 90 degrees at the waist, walk backwards two steps, and then stand up using your lumbar muscles it's harder than being able to keep your back straighter and lift that same sack straight up without having to move forward or backward.

I know you don't have kids, but it seems pretty obvious to me how having a low hanging obstruction over the object you want to lift is harder than having an unobstructed space to lift the same object. It's not the side door opening that's the problem, it's the fixed roof.