Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Flaw?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As I'm anxiously awaiting my MY delivery, I've pretty much watched all the Youtube videos on this car. Let me start off by saying my 3 bigger concerns are 1. rear visibility (or lack of) 2. rear cross bar (safely issue, not comfort or aesthetics) and 3. lack of traditional blind spot monitor on the side mirrors.

Yesterday, I came across this new video "Unpopular Opinion: The Model 3 is better than the Model Y." He doesn't bash the MY, but IMO provides a honest realistic review, especially with on #1 and #2. And what's somewhat concerning (to me at least) is that these aren't fixes that can be accomplished with OTA software updates.

Still awaiting to test drive the Y when it's available, but would love to get people's take? Thanks!

As I'm anxiously awaiting my MY delivery, I've pretty much watched all the Youtube videos on this car. Let me start off by saying my 3 bigger concerns are 1. rear visibility (or lack of) 2. rear cross bar (safely issue, not comfort or aesthetics) and 3. lack of traditional blind spot monitor on the side mirrors.

Yesterday, I came across this new video "Unpopular Opinion: The Model 3 is better than the Model Y." He doesn't bash the MY, but IMO provides a honest realistic review, especially with on #1 and #2. And what's somewhat concerning (to me at least) is that these aren't fixes that can be accomplished with OTA software updates.

Still awaiting to test drive the Y when it's available, but would love to get people's take? Thanks!
1. Drove it, visibility isn't great but you can see just fine for what you need it for. That said, you can also drive with the rear view camera on with a single tap on the main screen. 2. Not sure how that's a safety issue. 3. I have never driven in a car with drive spot monitoring and have never been in an accident in 20 years of driving. Also, there is blind spot monitoring via the center screen.

• Helpful
Reactions: Lord Voltemort
1. Drove it, visibility isn't great but you can see just fine for what you need it for. That said, you can also drive with the rear view camera on with a single tap on the main screen. 2. Not sure how that's a safety issue. 3. I have never driven in a car with drive spot monitoring and have never been in an accident in 20 years of driving. Also, there is blind spot monitoring via the center screen.

Thx for your feedback. As with #2 safely issue, I think what the reviewer was implying was if you get rear-ended and maybe the cross beam comes forward and smacks your head or neck?

Specifically on your concern #2, I would not be concerned. Having worked at big 3 in my previous career, these body structures are tested first on computer simulation with Finite Element Analysis hundreds of times and then with actual physical crash tests, well before government/NHTSA tests them. I am having hard time Tesla not doing similar analysis and designing a not so safe car.

#1 I am with you.

#3 I am guessing it will take some getting used to. At least that is what my hope is :)

Reactions: empiredown
Reactions: empiredown
  • Funny
Reactions: Watts_Up
I test drove MY a week ago, coming from a mercury Mariner with fantastic visibility and limited blind spots. I was uncomfortable and nervous on each lane change. I am still continuing with the reservation at this time, but if anything will make me cancel, it would be visibility issue. Unfortunately I wasn't able to test drive at night, I suspect visibility will get pretty bad.
I sat in the back seat and didn't feel like there was any issue with the cross beam, so i'm not sure about it (I'm 5"10').

It's likely that people's perceived comfort with visibility depends on types of cars they drove before, since scanning the road is a bit autonomous / muscle memory behavior. Those coming from sports cars or vans, may find no issue. So I'm hoping its a matter of time to retrain yourself.

The concern about safety wasn't the cross bar moving forward, it was the rear passenger's body moving backwards relative to the car. It would be interesting to see if someone flops back hard in the seat if they hit their head. Clearly a tall person with the sear reclined all of the way would, but what if the seat is a click or two forward? The question is will the head restraint (i.e. head rest) prevent hitting the crossbar?