Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y for Canada!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ordered on Sunday (Black LR AWD, Black Interior, 20" Induction) and was told the following from sales rep when I asked potential timeline:

"Do want to be mindful though that the custom cut-off production deadline did come and pass back on AUG/31 - Tesla puts a halt on production of any further Model Y vehicles for the remainder of quarter (Sept/30). Logistics will likely need to source a vehicle already built and matching your configuration features."

Wonder if I'll be getting a rejected model? Good to know for the next Tesla I buy lol

• Informative
Reactions: angus[Y]oung
Ordered on Sunday (Black LR AWD, Black Interior, 20" Induction) and was told the following from sales rep when I asked potential timeline:

"Do want to be mindful though that the custom cut-off production deadline did come and pass back on AUG/31 - Tesla puts a halt on production of any further Model Y vehicles for the remainder of quarter (Sept/30). Logistics will likely need to source a vehicle already built and matching your configuration features."

Wonder if I'll be getting a rejected model? Good to know for the next Tesla I buy lol

Does Tesla do custom orders anymore? I assumed they make batches and match to active orders. People are reportimg cars being made a month before delivery so not sure what those cars are doing for a whole month.

Does Tesla do custom orders anymore? I assumed they make batches and match to active orders. People are reportimg cars being made a month before delivery so not sure what those cars are doing for a whole month.

This is a good question that I hadn't thought of, although I'm unsure as to whether they would pre-produce inventory and potentially have it sitting around. I'll update when I do pick up (Toronto, Yorkdale) and I think I'll be able to tell pretty quickly if it's a rejected model.

• Disagree
Reactions: XY2B
Called Tesla to inquire about the hitch then asked about how accurate my 2 to 3 week text was. Told him when I ordered it and he said pretty accurate and said for sure will get it by the end of September.... almost guaranteed.We will see... will keep y’all posted

Here's hoping! I got my 2-4 week text 2 weeks ago, no communication since. I'm hoping that means I'm going to hear something soon!

I think accuracy of timing depends where you are but I got the 3-6 week text message about 4.5 weeks ago and picked up the car today so they were spot on. In terms of overall delivery time when I got a call from Montreal the day after ordering in early July, the promise was "by the end of September" and the website at the time (IIRC) said 4-9 weeks and it's been 8. So basically it's all been according to plan and flawless for me, no complaints.

Not sure exactly how it works, but I contacted the Tesla rep who helped me buy my Model S way back in 2013. He's always been 100% transparent with me (saved me thousands back in the day), and he's an awesome guy. Anyway, I asked him if the 3-5 week timelines being quoted on the website were accurate (at that time). He told me that if I put my order in by the end of August, I would get my car in MY in September for sure, regardless of config. If I waited until after August, it would most likely be October/November.

My order had a VIN assigned on September 4th, and I've been told it's on its way to Toronto. I pick it up on September 21st at Lawrence (for now).

So the above meshes with the theory that they assign production to orders before a certain timeframe (e.g. August 31st).

I ordered a Model Y on August 31st for delivery in Vancouver. I don't have a VIN assigned but moments ago I got a text that the car is on it's way and can be scheduled for delivery. I checked the available dates and it can be picked up this Friday or Saturday. Still no VIN in my account.

What's going on here? Has anyone else had something like this happen? Is this likely an older rejected car that has been re-assigned?

I ordered a Model Y on August 31st for delivery in Vancouver. I don't have a VIN assigned but moments ago I got a text that the car is on it's way and can be scheduled for delivery. I checked the available dates and it can be picked up this Friday or Saturday. Still no VIN in my account.

What's going on here? Has anyone else had something like this happen? Is this likely an older rejected car that has been re-assigned?

@DGates wow, that's fast! Will be interesting to see what VIN number you end up with.
It might be a "rejected" car, or it could be that someone decided to delay their delivery and passed on it without even seeing it.

I ordered my MY on September 1st, they promised a delivery in September though. Last thing I heard from my rep was that it is shipped and will be here on Sep 23rd. Now that I am thinking, it would be a good idea to wait for the November batch, as the delay could be to fix some of the production issues!

I had the same confusion until someone pointed out that the MVPA had appeared on my account page, and the VIN is in there. Forgive me if you already knew of this and don't have your MVPA in your documents list.

• Informative
Reactions: angus[Y]oung
I had the same confusion until someone pointed out that the MVPA had appeared on my account page, and the VIN is in there. Forgive me if you already knew of this and don't have your MVPA in your documents list.

Oh yes, you're right! I looked yesterday and it wasn't updated but now it is, thanks for pointing this out.

VIN is 049164

Seems like fast turnaround - ordered Aug 31, delivery Sept 11 in Vancouver.