Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y front windshield replacement

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone have any feedback on using Safelite versus a Tesla Service Center for windshield replacement? Seems Safelite is going to have a ton more experience with windshields since that is all they do but TSC will be better about camera calibration and the electronics side?
I had a crack from a stone impact. Called my insurance company who verified my no-deductible coverage on windshield glass. The agent transferred my call to Safelite who gave me the option of taking the car to their nearest shop or doing it in my driveway. I opted to take it to the shop. I think I waited about a week. One phone call on my part, no complaints. Also this was August ‘21.

Need to have my 2021 long range model Y windshield replaced. Safelite wouldn’t even schedule it saying they couldn’t do it because they did not do calibration. (I seem to remember them saying g same thing about my Mercedes… anyway , I digress ). Mercedes windshields come calibrated and Tesla said the Model Y windshield calibrates itself …. Helloooo🤣🤣🤣🤣so I called another company in Scottsdale, Phoenix at the suggestion of Tesla and they can do a home visit in a controlled environment. Said inside my garage was fine . But it could be a gazillion degrees out. So this company BLUECHIP GLASS , is 3 weeks out, so I scheduled it. I had an apt with Tesla but they kept changing the date out 2 weeks for this that or the other . So apparently it’s not like the days of old where you could get someone out in a few days 🤗🤗😎😎always so complicated! I love my Tesla and sometimes hate it all at the same time!! Phantom breaking from 75 down to 40 is always fun🤣🤣

Need to have my 2021 long range model Y windshield replaced. Safelite wouldn’t even schedule it saying they couldn’t do it because they did not do calibration. (I seem to remember them saying g same thing about my Mercedes… anyway , I digress ). Mercedes windshields come calibrated and Tesla said the Model Y windshield calibrates itself …. Helloooo🤣🤣🤣🤣so I called another company in Scottsdale, Phoenix at the suggestion of Tesla and they can do a home visit in a controlled environment. Said inside my garage was fine . But it could be a gazillion degrees out. So this company BLUECHIP GLASS , is 3 weeks out, so I scheduled it. I had an apt with Tesla but they kept changing the date out 2 weeks for this that or the other . So apparently it’s not like the days of old where you could get someone out in a few days 🤗🤗😎😎always so complicated! I love my Tesla and sometimes hate it all at the same time!! Phantom breaking from 75 down to 40 is always fun🤣🤣
Scottsdale Raintree technicians do not do windshield replacements even if you take your car to have it done at the Service Center. They outsource it to Blue Chip. I learned this when I had mine replaced there a couple months ago. It was ~$1,300 through Tesla. What was it direct with Blue Chip?

In the future I will just go with Blue Chip directly.

Was driving on the freeway and someone threw a rock at my windshield! Any recommendations on getting this replace? Los Angeles area.
IMG_2039.jpeg

60k miles in Montana with my 2019 M3P, mostly interstate and a fair amount of dirt/gravel roads, both where the rocks constantly sling by, and now my first windshield crack. Windshields all crack in Montana, it's just a thing. 60k crack-free miles is more than I have gotten with any other car. Lot of windshield hits and paint chips but the first expanded/expanding crack. So for me, the Tesla windshield has been tougher than most. But like running over a nail it's as much luck as anything.
I live in Bozeman. I assume you used Safelite since we don’t have any Tesla centers in the state?

Reactions: PACEMD
I assume you used Safelite since we don’t have any Tesla centers in the state?
I guess. Also, Tesla suggested Safelite, and they were cheaper, offered/used an OEM Tesla windshield.
That...is really odd. We had to replace the windshield in my wife's Model Y here in Boise last year. I got quotes from both Tesla service and from Safelite, and the Safelite quote was twice as much. Maybe the Tesla quote there was higher because of having to go do it by mobile service to your location.

I'm wondering if TESLA's windshield glass is inferior to other vehicles.
Can't really tell. I got windshield cracks on my previous cars a few times and learned to stay away from big trucks by a long distance.
However, on roads with gravel, an accelerating car in front could send gravel to my windshield, hard to avoid.
In this case, the dashcam could have recorded the event with the license plate of that car. I am wondering if this video helps to identify the driver or car owner and make they pay for the repair.

• Funny
Reactions: Rocky_H