Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y front windshield replacement

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had the same thing happen to my brand-new Model 3. I never found an impact point and thought it was a likely stress fracture.

I fought that battle with my local service center and ultimately lost. They insisted there was an impact right at the top, and that I would have to go through insurance.

View attachment 893314View attachment 893315
It is the impact point at the top.

I got my MYLR on Dec 17, and had a rock chip my front windshield. Very common in AZ when both sides of the freeways are embankments of gravel. I'm gonna let it ride until it cracks across the windshield because I know as soon as I replace it, I'll get another in 3 weeks.
You could buy one of those low cost injector kits at the local auto parts store to sustain the damage. I used one on a previous car for an impact chip and it stayed like that for Many years. Cost maybe $6 amd took 10 minutes.

Reactions: GeoffEV
I got my MYLR on Dec 17, and had a rock chip my front windshield. Very common in AZ when both sides of the freeways are embankments of gravel. I'm gonna let it ride until it cracks across the windshield because I know as soon as I replace it, I'll get another in 3 weeks.

Most insurance companies will repair a chip without charging your deductible. They figure that it's cheaper to do this than have people wait until a replacement is necessary.

I've had chips repaired several times over the years and I've always been pleased with how it turned out. I'd go this route to avoid having to have my factory windshield cut out. The likelihood of a leak isn't high with a replacement, but it's nonexistent with a free chip repair.

That’s what I did. I initially had an appointment with safelite for two weeks out but after one week they called me and said my appointment had to be changed since they don’t know when they will receive the windshield. It’s been 5 months. Today i scheduled a service on the the tesla app and now I have an appointment on February 1st. I would have done this from the beginning but Tesla lied to me when it initially happened. They told me they don’t do windshield replacement when I went in for an unrelated service. They said I would have to go through a third party such as safelite to get it replaced. Hopefully if all goes well I’ll have my windshield replaced February 1st. I’ll keep you posted.

Wow that's crazy... where are you located out of?

I had the same thing happen to my brand-new Model 3. I never found an impact point and thought it was a likely stress fracture.

I fought that battle with my local service center and ultimately lost. They insisted there was an impact right at the top, and that I would have to go through insurance.

View attachment 893314View attachment 893315
Tesla is willing to meet me halfway. I am still not happy with that. Does Lemon law apply? I am considering returning the car. Coincidentally I just found out that my bank's auto financing has not released the payment to Tesla yet for an unrelated reason, and I still have the DMV paperwork with me. So technically I don't own the car. What are my options legally? Tesla is urging me to complete and return the DMV documents. This was a fasttrack transaction at year end that Tesla just handed me a FedEx envelope to finish the paperwork instead of finishing them at the dealership like what they normally do.

Tesla is willing to meet me halfway. I am still not happy with that. Does Lemon law apply? I am considering returning the car. Coincidentally I just found out that my bank's auto financing has not released the payment to Tesla yet for an unrelated reason, and I still have the DMV paperwork with me. So technically I don't own the car. What are my options legally? Tesla is urging me to complete and return the DMV documents. This was a fasttrack transaction at year end that Tesla just handed me a FedEx envelope to finish the paperwork instead of finishing them at the dealership like what they normally do.
Fight it, I had a crack randomly appear a year in, they replaced, tried to charge me and i made them pay for it.

You’re trying to return the car because of a windshield crack? We all have our priorities, but this seems like a massive overreaction.

DMV paperwork isn’t the same thing as a purchase contract. You technically own the car when you sign the purchase contract and associated transfer documents. If you take the car and don’t pay for it, a case could be made that you stole it. Tesla eliminated their return policy at the end of 2020, so they don’t want the car back.

I think the logical choice is to take their offer, file an insurance claim, and enjoy your new car. If you manage to stop your bank from paying Tesla, they would probably take the car back, but could also come after you for depreciation and costs. That’s not a road that I would go down.

Yea I know, but the guys at safelite told me that they won't even touch the glass if the system didn't work for my "safety"

BS for TSLA, but true for other cars liability. I guess they don't have a separate policy.

My installer sub is still trying to schedule a recalibration appt even for TSLA. Sales safety pitch is they have some special static/dynamic jargon. I told them i'd reach out if needed.

Just picking up the car and it looks pretty good. The guy had a lot of experience doing them as he moved from Arizona where he'd do like 5 a day. Glass has the tesla logo on it. I can see a slight wave to the glass when looking at it from left to right though, but only when im looking for it when stopped and it's better than a cracked windshield haha. It's noticeable when looking at the passenger side of the glass from the driver's seat.

Last edited:
Reactions: TomB985
How common is a stress crack on Model Y windshields? I just got a new Model Y delivered a few days ago and discovered a long foot-long crack on the passenger side of the windshield. I am not aware of any stone or rock impact on the windshield. I am fighting Tesla to cover the repair and they want to charge me $1,286 to replace the windshield. That is so ridiculous for a new car that I just bought. They claim they don't cover windshield damage but I truly believe it is a stress crack as it is more than a foot long. A crack caused by a stone would usually start small and get longer as time goes by. I only have the car for a few days after delivery.
Well FYI. I have my M3 for about 4 years, yesterday in heavy rain a rock hit my windshield very close to the A pillar and the crack is 10-12" long horizontally. The crack happened at an instant. I have never had crack this long after a stone chip but it does happen.

Reactions: TomB985
Interesting. My Y has had one windshield replaced already, about a year ago (performed by Tesla). A few weeks ago, a car passed me on the shoulder of the highway, splattering my windshield with rocks, putting a chip in it. I had Safelite come out and "fix" the windshield, then I left town. When I got back home, I found the car parked in my garage, but the windshield now had a 12+ inch long crack starting from the area of the Safelite repair. Spoke to them, and they agreed the repair can sometimes cause this. Of course, they can replace the windshield for a fee ($1,800)! That includes a discount equal to the cost of my previous repair. I checked with my local SC, not only are they able to do it, but quoted me "only" $1,200 for the same replacement. So in this case, Tesla service is looking pretty good.

I drive a 2022 Model Y performance. Four months ago I had my front windshield crack when a semi-truck kicked back a rock from its tires on the highway. I immediately contacted Tesla to get a replacement and was told they don’t do windshield replacements. They told me I would have to go through a company such as safelite to get it replaced. Ok no problem. I called safelite and place an order for the windshield and they gave me an estimate repair date in two weeks since they need to order the windshield directly from Tesla. Then they call me saying we are still waiting to receive the windshield. It’s been four months and they still haven’t received the windshield. I keep calling them to get an update but they keep telling me that Tesla windshield’s for the model Y are on back order. How long am I supposed to keep waiting?

Has anyone else dealt with this issue? Is it tesla fault or safelite? Luckily my windshield crack isn’t that bad where I can’t drive the vehicle but what would happen if a vehicle’s windshield crack is so bad it can’t be driven? Are they supposed to wait over 4 months to get their vehicle fixed?

My windshield on my Y cracked two weeks ago... Had an appointment with Safelite and they told me two days before that they won't be able to get me an OEM and will get me a OEM equiv. I told them no.. I want OEM. The cost is extra $400 on top of my $250 deductible. I called GEICO and ask for approval for the OEM windshield. They said no, my policy says OEM equiv.

I've decided I'm going to go shop around for new insurance company now.. since GEICO wants to nickel and dime. I also see my windshield possibly cracking in the future so I'm going to go to a policy that will replace OEM.

Reactions: vickh
My windshield on my Y cracked two weeks ago... Had an appointment with Safelite and they told me two days before that they won't be able to get me an OEM and will get me a OEM equiv. I told them no.. I want OEM. The cost is extra $400 on top of my $250 deductible. I called GEICO and ask for approval for the OEM windshield. They said no, my policy says OEM equiv.

I've decided I'm going to go shop around for new insurance company now.. since GEICO wants to nickel and dime. I also see my windshield possibly cracking in the future so I'm going to go to a policy that will replace OEM.

$400 on a windshield claim is not "nickel and diming." Lots of cars can have the entire job done for less than that.

I've never heard of an insurance company that would pay extra for OEM components. If you find one, you can bet you'll pay for that with higher premiums. Aftermarket OEM-equivalent parts have been a standard for the insurance industry as long as the industry has existed.

Reactions: C-Bus Y
$400 on a windshield claim is not "nickel and diming." Lots of cars can have the entire job done for less than that.

I've never heard of an insurance company that would pay extra for OEM components. If you find one, you can bet you'll pay for that with higher premiums. Aftermarket OEM-equivalent parts have been a standard for the insurance industry as long as the industry has existed.

I guess they should look for another installer then. Mine insisted on OEM (Had to wait on TSLA). I also got $150 cash back+Tint (tint has bubbles though :()