Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Frunk Spring replacement

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Do you mean the spring up front that is part of the latching mechanism? I saw the mobile tech make an adjustment on mine. Pretty simple process, which included pulling out the frunk liner first.
yes that's the spring...it takes too much force to push the frunk in... there are tons of spring mods that help with the force to close the frunk... did your service tech change the spring?

I just traded my M3 for an MY and kept the frunk springs I had in the M3. After getting my MY, I opened up a similar looking panel in the frunk but the spring wasn’t visible so I’m guessing the frunk liner needs to be taken out. I haven’t tried this yet though. So not as easy as the 30 second replacement on the M3, but hopefully not much more difficult.

I just traded my M3 for an MY and kept the frunk springs I had in the M3. After getting my MY, I opened up a similar looking panel in the frunk but the spring wasn’t visible so I’m guessing the frunk liner needs to be taken out. I haven’t tried this yet though. So not as easy as the 30 second replacement on the M3, but hopefully not much more difficult.
From what I saw, the frunk liner came out very easily

I took my frunk tub out today to install the homelink module. It comes out after removing the cover and then 5 bolts. The latching mechanism is exposed but the spring doesn't seem as easily accessible as the ones in the model 3.

IMG_1979 (1).JPG

• Informative
Reactions: Sixth
I took my frunk tub out today to install the homelink module. It comes out after removing the cover and then 5 bolts. The latching mechanism is exposed but the spring doesn't seem as easily accessible as the ones in the model 3.

I just opened up my frunk tub and found the mechanism is different from the M3 also. It appears to be using a different type of spring altogether that’s in a different orientation. It’s unfortunate since the frunk is relatively difficult to close, which makes me want to use it less for the fear of scratching the paint when pressing down to close it.

Attachments

• 33BC360F-C467-41DC-8C52-6AD3E1993B33.jpeg
    33BC360F-C467-41DC-8C52-6AD3E1993B33.jpeg
    451.2 KB · Views: 178
I don't think that the spring is the issue. I adjusted the rubber stops on my frunk and could then close it with one hand (and often did). I ended up installing the TO power frunk kit because I use my frunk so often. The EVANNEX frunk cooler and power frunk kit is a great combo. Frozen food stays frozen on the way home. In the winter, carryout stays hot and doesn't stink up the car.

• Informative
Reactions: Sixth
If the bushes are lowered then it makes it easier to close the frunk, however, it then makes the hood not flush with the bumper. I have seen in some youtube videos where people close their frunk(Model 3 mostly) easily with one hand. It is still not easy in mine even with adjustment.