Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y full charge range

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
One thing that might help - Tesla will be releasing a CCS adapter "soon" and you can use that at non-Tesla chargers and get higher charging speeds than the J1772 adapter. I'm refreshing the Tesla charging page frequently as I want one and don't want to buy a non-Tesla adapter.
I would take my charger to the properties but they do not have 240 volt and high amp receptacles available outside of them. I have used Chargepoint and EA in these same routes but I have had nothing but constant unreliable charging experiences. Why cant these companies just steal SC designs and reliable integrations?

I live in Indiana, and the current weather is between 25 to 45 degrees Fahrenheit. My 2021 MY is 10 months old with 19,000 miles and I am concerned about having only 290 miles rated range on the Tesla App at 100%. I noticed this range drop in October 2021. The Tesla service team said my car checked out fine after the diagnostic test. Being my first time owning an EV in the winter, should I get the rated range back once the weather improves? It has come to the point where I can not make a 190-mile commute @70 MPH anymore without having to charge. I have tried reading numerous forums, calibrated the BMS twice (at least I think I did), and even go as far as to pre-heat the car for 20 minutes and set the temp to 70 degrees to lower my watt usage while driving. If the BMS does lower the rated range in the winter months then I am okay but if the car has this much degradation, I am in trouble.
Driving at 65 MPH instead of 70 MPH will decrease your Wh/mi by ~9%, similarly extend your range. Think of it as a built in battery reserve.

Reactions: DanDi58 and WhiteWi
I would love to have this instead of battery percentages and rated miles. I wonder if Tesla's API lets us access this info. Also gives me a peace of mind if my car is really losing range or not😅
I was actually thinking about that the other day. I know it’s not apples to apples (no pun intended), but if the iPhone can give a “battery health” status by simply going into the settings, there has to be some way for Tesla to do the same. I’m assuming they just don’t want to. But it could save them on having to answer people’s questions about their estimated 100% range being down 20 miles after a few weeks etc…

This won't fix their neurosis and will only feed it. They look at the random number output from the GoM (Guess-o-Meter) and it becomes the only thing they focus on.

- I've had my car for 1 day and my range is... Is this normal?
- I've had my car for 1 week and my range is... and it's changed! Is this normal? WHAT'S GOING ON??!?
- I've had my car for 2 weeks and my range is... and it's changed! Is this normal? SOMETHING IS WRONG!!!
...etc...
- I've had my car for xxx weeks and my range is... and it's changed! Is this normal? ANSWER ME!!!
:rolleyes:

Just look at the number of range threads on TMC.

I was actually thinking about that the other day. I know it’s not apples to apples (no pun intended), but if the iPhone can give a “battery health” status by simply going into the settings, there has to be some way for Tesla to do the same. I’m assuming they just don’t want to. But it could save them on having to answer people’s questions about their estimated 100% range being down 20 miles after a few weeks etc…

• Love
Reactions: Rocky_H and WhiteWi
But they don't really answer those questions..... I suspect if you set up a service appointment with that as the ONLY thing that needs to be 'serviced', they will cancel it. But I do agree they could easily do something like that.

Ugh, it is disappointing because I was hoping to use this car to commute on my 200 mile round trip properties all year round but some of these areas do not have a supercharger so I have to take my dinosaur juice sippers... I am going to wait until summer and see if the lower watt hours will help me commute to these area. I usually hit about 350-375 watt hours right now in winter. In summer I hit about 270ish watt hours. Long-range MS is looking good now😂
Can you sneak an hour or two of Level 2 charging at one of your destinations? That would give you enough of a buffer.

Reactions: Kee_Chain
Can you sneak an hour or two of Level 2 charging at one of your destinations? That would give you enough of a buffer.
I am thinking about going ahead and buying a Lectron level 2 charger and having an electrician run a 240 volt receptacle outside. I would buy a level 1 since I have those receptacle easily available but I would not get enough of a charge by the time I leave.

Reactions: boulder.dude
Lithium batteries temporarily lose a little capacity during the winter months due to the colder temps. All EV’s have this reaction to cold weather. After enough exposure to the cold temperatures, the BMS will begin to reflect less range. In my i3, this equates to about a 25% decrease in estimated range every winter. As temps begin to warm up, the max charge range estimate begins to improve until it reaches the advertised max range.
Gas cars also lose range in the winter, maybe even more than EVs do. It's just a fact of life. Cars and people expend energy to maintain optimum temperatures.

Reactions: EmbersDC
My 2021 MY is 10 months old with 19,000 miles and I am concerned about having only 290 miles rated range on the Tesla App at 100%. I noticed this range drop in October 2021.
I identify. Here is a graph I snipped from my Tesla Fi app. I have had my Model Y for 13 months and have 19k miles. The top line (green) is the composite of the other 33 MY owners with 19k miles. That average range is 298.75 miles. Below, in blue, you see my car which is at 285.98 miles. There is one car with lower range than mine. (Tesla Fi data is pulled from your own car. It is not a guesstimate. The Tesla app and Tesla Fi agree as to my range on a full charge.)

Like you, I was truly worried about this much degradation so fast. I hope it stabilizes (as it seems to be doing.)

But, I am in a very different situation than you. I live in a very hot climate - today in South Texas it is 85 degrees. Strangely, my dip began last March when the temperatures began to get back to summer-time norms of 100 degrees. I also don't have a long commute. But, I don't think your car is out of the norm.

Range at 19k Miles.jpg

Reactions: Kee_Chain
I identify. Here is a graph I snipped from my Tesla Fi app. I have had my Model Y for 13 months and have 19k miles. The top line (green) is the composite of the other 33 MY owners with 19k miles. That average range is 298.75 miles. Below, in blue, you see my car which is at 285.98 miles. There is one car with lower range than mine. (Tesla Fi data is pulled from your own car. It is not a guesstimate. The Tesla app and Tesla Fi agree as to my range on a full charge.)

Like you, I was truly worried about this much degradation so fast. I hope it stabilizes (as it seems to be doing.)

But, I am in a very different situation than you. I live in a very hot climate - today in South Texas it is 85 degrees. Strangely, my dip began last March when the temperatures began to get back to summer-time norms of 100 degrees. I also don't have a long commute. But, I don't think your car is out of the norm.

View attachment 742374
Thank you very for the great information! Now I am a little less worried knowing this seems to be the trend. Hopefully the lower watt hours in the summer time can help me make my longer commutes! Also nice to see a McAllen Tesla owner! Was their this Thanksgiving, had a blast going to Starbase, South Padre Island, and Reynosa!

Reactions: Cigar Man
I used to worry about this as well. You can imagine how I felt about my last place rank before the last bump back up. All of the various tricks to "recalibrate" the BMS seem very temporary. The big bump up at the end of my graph just happened for some reason unbeknownst to me.
Screenshot_20211209-135443_Chrome.jpg

You can imagine how I felt about my last place rank before the last bump back up. All of the various tricks to "recalibrate" the BMS seem very temporary. The big bump up at the end of my graph just happened for some reason unbeknownst to me.View attachment 742404

Wow! That is quite a bump! Like you, I discovered all the "recalibration" gimmicks are just that - gimmicks.

To paraphrase a great movie: "How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Battery Degradation."

Reactions: DanDi58
Q:

Full-charge range is based on EPA mileage x the BMS estimate for total capacity of the battery.

BMS estimate is calculated by monitoring open cell voltage if the HV battery pack when the car sleeps.

Does the open cell voltage depend on battery temp at all? Could this cause the BMS estimate to trend lower during cold spells?

I have a MY Performance first, the most I have ever seen is 281. I don't think the range estimates are really accurate honestly. I am at 264 now, lowest I have seen is 260. I seem to fluctuate between 270 and 260, its gone up and down in that range about 3 times. The one thing I found though, when going on long trips, the estimated range is always off by 3-5% once I get to my destination... So I think the computer is conservative by nature, which is probably good. That said, I don't believe Tesla's public numbers, 290 on a Performance would be tough, would have to be super optimal conditions. I think 280 is more likely the true number. At the end of the day though, you can control this yourself some by not pushing the fun pedal as much ;). I have had this car over a year now, it really bothered me for the first few months, now I don't care.. give yourself some time to adjust to it and you will feel the same eventually.
Do you think the 280 miles, which is the more true number, is at 100% charge? I just charged 80% and the indication is 217 miles. Seems low to me

Lol...I only get 251 with 89% charge. In a warm garage all the time. I find it almost impossible to use the EPA rated 259 watts per mile that the range estimates are based on. I'm usually averaging about 275. I may have them check my battery
I think the EPA range estimate assumes 238 Wh/mi or similar; nearly impossible to achieve if you use the AC or the heat in winter.

I live in Maryland, my lifetime average is 268 Wh/mi (currently getting around 280 Wh/mi.) Estimated range at 100% is around 270 miles, been that way since new.