Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y full charge range

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2020 MY with about 6k miles but it only charges up to 308miles at 100%. What range are the rest of you getting?

Screenshot_20210403-192838_Tesla.jpg

Just climbed from 286 to 289. It bugged me when I dropped below 300, but now I've just resigned to the fact that my 77.8 kWh rating has dropped to 68. Hopefully the rapid decline is about done.

Reactions: Fishy
I have a 2020 MY with about 6k miles but it only charges up to 308miles at 100%. What range are the rest of you getting?

View attachment 650664
Lithium batteries temporarily lose a little capacity during the winter months due to the colder temps. All EV’s have this reaction to cold weather. After enough exposure to the cold temperatures, the BMS will begin to reflect less range. In my i3, this equates to about a 25% decrease in estimated range every winter. As temps begin to warm up, the max charge range estimate begins to improve until it reaches the advertised max range.

Just climbed from 286 to 289. It bugged me when I dropped below 300, but now I've just resigned to the fact that my 77.8 kWh rating has dropped to 68. Hopefully the rapid decline is about done.

This reinforces what I think is happening and I predicted that you would see an increase around now with temps warming back up. I would be interested to know if this trend continues.

Lithium batteries temporarily lose a little capacity during the winter months due to the colder temps. All EV’s have this reaction to cold weather. After enough exposure to the cold temperatures, the BMS will begin to reflect less range. In my i3, this equates to about a 25% decrease in estimated range every winter. As temps begin to warm up, the max charge range estimate begins to improve until it reaches the advertised max range.
I hope that's the case with the warm weather now here.

I don't know how the i3 estimates range, but I assume it's on consumption over the last few 100 miles. So it's kind of logical you get such a big decrease in remaining range in winter.

Since Tesla does not use that method, it won't be anywhere near 25%, I believe there is still some adjustment but not that big.

My 2020 MY with 7k miles gets only up to 293 miles at 100%.
312 mi at 100% with over 7K miles on my LR, with at least 14 supercharger visits and one winter here in the mid-Atlantic region. Avg. 259 Wh/Mi since delivery. Keep charged at 80-85% at home. There was a very short period of time (about a week) when the software update was released I saw 325 miles on a full charge, I also believe that keeping Sentry Mode on every night and off during the day has something to do with my est. miles staying rather consistent. Reading through other threads, seems like the fact that my MY gets regular cycles of sleeping and not sleeping is important to how it calculates things. Of course this is speculation.

I am a huge fan of Watch for Tesla app, and take advantage of the estimated miles they show vs. what the Tesla app states. It seems to be more accurate, especially when it is cold outside.

11k miles, 80% charge normally, 1 brief supercharge, tried deeper cycling, sentry off, sleeping at different percentages, occasional charge to 100%, nothing obvious impacts 100% range (i.e. BMS estimated battery degradation). My battery reports 70.0 kWh, down from 77.8 when new. (10% degradation). My max reported range is 291 miles (12% degradation when comparing to the patch that bumped range to 326, or 9% compared to my original 316). Maybe it'll go up as we enter the summer and maybe it won't.

Newbie here. How do I know how much I’ll get at 100% if I don’t want to charge to 100%?

Is there a battery history somewhere in all these menus?
Set the display to miles (inside the car), then open the Tesla app on your phone. Select 'charging' and slide all the way to the right. Keep holding it there, on the left in the bar there will be the theoretical 100% mileage.

Set the display to miles (inside the car), then open the Tesla app on your phone. Select 'charging' and slide all the way to the right. Keep holding it there, on the left in the bar there will be the theoretical 100% mileage.
I've noticed this to be inaccurate occasionally as well though. It will say one number but, by the time it reaches the set limit, it's a different number.

I have been charging my MYP with the superchargers for ~ 2x a week up to the daily max mark only. When I took delivery almost 4 months ago, 80% charge gave me 271 miles, quickly it became 270 miles and in last couple months, that charged up to 269 miles, and recently became 268 miles for 1800 miles only on the car. Now, I am charging for the first time to 100%, and it maxed that charge at 298 miles instead of the 303 miles listed.

... 80% charge gave me 271 miles, quickly it became 270 miles and in last couple months, that charged up to 269 miles, and recently became 268 miles for 1800 miles only on the car.
As far as I understand the computer is doing an estimate, so the difference between 268-271 is basically a rounding error? Unlikely your battery has changed at all, just the computer estimation has (disclaimer: i could be wrong, batteries should lose between 5-10% in the first couple of years)

This post is a good read to better understand: How I Recovered Half of my Battery's Lost Capacity

I am a firm believer in percentage mode, maybe switch to miles every 6 months out of curiosity and make sure nothing is way off.