Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y full charge range

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think you're referring to this post: How I Recovered Half of my Battery's Lost Capacity

Key takeaways according to the thread author:
1. This issue is primarily an indication/estimation problem, not real battery capacity loss.
2. Constant Sentry mode use contributes to this problem, because the car never sleeps, so no OCV readings get taken.
3. Long voltage stabilization times in the Model 3 prevent OCV readings from getting taken frequently, contributing to BMS estimation drift.
4. Constantly charging every day means that those OCV readings that do get taken are always at the same charge level, which makes the BMS calibration inaccurate.
5. Multiple accurate calibration cycles may need to happen before the BMS accuracy improves.
6. It takes a long time (a lot of OCV readings) to cause the BMS to run a calibration computation, and therefore the procedure can take months.
For me, I'm guilty of #2 (constant Sentry Mode). And likely also #6 due to #2.

Mine says 240 with just 300 miles
When new the Tesla Model Y's battery management system (BMS) needs time to calibrate, learn the limits of the upper and lower range of the battery state of charge.

Set Sentry Mode to be off when parked at home. This will enable the Tesla Model Y to enter sleep mode where the BMS can measure the open cell voltage (OCV) of the cells within the battery pack. If the BMS can't periodically read the OCV it will not be able to properly calibrate the upper and lower range of the battery pack.

Charge to at least 95% a few times, drive and let the battery state of charge go below 30% before charging. Do this several times and you should see the estimated range increase.

Realize that you are never going to see the estimated range exactly reach 326 miles.

Reactions: jbarnum and house9
I have a long range Y with about 4000 miles. I have never gotten more than 250 miles on a 3% to 90% charge. It is worse in the winter (as low as 200 miles), was up to the 250 in the spring (without A/C) and now I run about 220 miles before I need to charge (I charge when state-of-charge gets below 10%).

The maximum range as stated by Tesla is a wish: you can never achieve this in real life.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: WhiteWi
The maximum range as stated by Tesla is a wish: you can never achieve this in real life.
Most people don't charge to 100%. The car even goes into distress when you do, so 90%, 80%, even 70% charges are common.

Nobody runs a car down to 0%. Most people don't even approach 10%, they get too scared to.

People drive Teslas fast. They don't think they are, but they are. It's just too easy to push down a little more on the *go* pedal, and people will do it.

Inductions, naked Gemini's, and Uberturbines rob more range. Many people fall into this category too.

With those factors in place, its already at least a 20% decrease in the practical usability in the pack. Realistic ranges are somewhere in the 220-260 mile range for LR, and (sadly) 130-150 mile range for SR. The most unfortunate thing is that Tesla chose not to display the GOM (guess-O-Meter) in the top bar. Only way to see that is on the side of a graph, which hides so many useful things.

• Disagree
Reactions: GOVA
Most people don't charge to 100%. The car even goes into distress when you do, so 90%, 80%, even 70% charges are common.

Nobody runs a car down to 0%. Most people don't even approach 10%, they get too scared to.

People drive Teslas fast. They don't think they are, but they are. It's just too easy to push down a little more on the *go* pedal, and people will do it.

Inductions, naked Gemini's, and Uberturbines rob more range. Many people fall into this category too.

With those factors in place, its already at least a 20% decrease in the practical usability in the pack. Realistic ranges are somewhere in the 220-260 mile range for LR, and (sadly) 130-150 mile range for SR. The most unfortunate thing is that Tesla chose not to display the GOM (guess-O-Meter) in the top bar. Only way to see that is on the side of a graph, which hides so many useful things.
Well, the car doesn't go into 'distress' if you charge to 100%. They discourage frequent charges to 100%, especially if you're going to let it sit, as potentially harmful to the longevity of the battery. I did it once before a road trip, and the lack of regen was so startling that I charge to 95% now before heading out on a long trip. You still get some regen and frankly, the 5% doesn't make a difference in where I stop to charge.

And there IS a GOM available - if you switch your display to % instead of miles. The % display is a much more accurate assessment of the energy available in the battery, than is the miles estimate. From there, it is easy to estimate how much driving you have left, if, for some reason, you're not using the Navigation to guide you.

The range shouldn't be an issue when you're driving around town, other than in the relatively rare instance of someone that needs to drive 250+ miles or so locally. I think most people, once they get used to the car and take a couple of road trips, the actual range isn't really an issue. You stop and charge when the car says to, and get back on your way. A lot of these threads are started by people that either don't have their cars yet, or are new owners stressing out over range anxiety. Most of them will find that it's not really an issue once they get more comfortable and learn how to maximize the energy in the battery (as some of your points indicate).

Range is overrated. It's an EV. Accept it for what it is or get a gas vehicle and not worry about it. I think it's funny that some owners worry about this when some of those same individuals probably come from sports cars or big gas guzzlin suv's and mpg probably wasn't a concern. EV's aren't for everybody. Like someone mentioned, change to % and forget about it.

And there IS a GOM available - if you switch your display to % instead of miles. The % display is a much more accurate assessment of the energy available in the battery, than is the miles estimate. From there, it is easy to estimate how much driving you have left, if, for some reason, you're not using the Navigation to guide you.
A % meter is not a GOM though. Estimating miles based on percentage is something that has to be done through lots of time driving that same vehicle. Example, I hop around from a Model Y LR to a model 3 SR. Let's say both show 47%. I then have to remember which car I'm in, what range affecting features it has, like one has Sport wheels & roof rack, and the other naked Gemini's etc... then I have to translate the % number to a miles number I THINK might be right, which is again, another estimate, which is only accurate the more often I drive that vehicle. example: When I see 75% translates to about around 180 miles for me in MY MYLR. Switch to the other vehicle and the % number = a very different mile range for that car. Sure, I can do the estimations in my head, but I'd like to not have to.

GOM's do that automatically through driving and translate the % as you drive, giving you a mile range rather than just a % (which I understand, like gas tank gauges, it's useful to see). GOM's exist in many other EV's, including the ones I owned before. While Tesla can easily program that into their two models, 3 and Y (I believe that exists in the S & X) but they don't for a reason. I've yet to figure out what that reason is.

I totally get the not leaving the battery at 100% for long periods, and charging to 100% right before a long trip. The reason I don't do that is for the first few miles the regen is disabled and it's kinda scary to let off the go pedal and the car doesn't regenerate like it usually does, (even though I know it won't!). 90% full charge is still plenty of miles for long trips and Superchargers and independent DC chargers are abundant in this part of the world.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rocky_H
As long as car can go 200 miles before hitting supercharger it’s all good.
Hopefully when you issue the voice command to "hit the Supercharger" the A.I will know what you meant.

I was curious about the Ford Model T's range etc. The Ford Model T was manufactured from 1908 to 1927. The Model T has a 10 gallon fuel tank; MPG ranges from 13 to 25 MPG depending on city/highway driving and type of carburetor. The Model T has a 2.9L 4-cylinder gas engine capable of outputting 20 HP and 70 ft lbs. The Model T utilizes a 3-speed planetary gear transmission (one of the three gears is reverse.) Top speed is specified as 45 MPH (this was at a time when in town speed limits ranged from 15MPH to 25 MPH.) 200 mile range is possible but experienced Model T owners know to stop and fill the tank at the halfway mark to avoid sucking dirt into the fuel intake. Given the mostly unpaved roads at that time 100 miles was a full day of motoring.

The % display is a much more accurate assessment of the energy available in the battery, than is the miles estimate.
I don't know why some people continue to say that. It is exactly the opposite of the truth. The % is NOT measuring the amount of energy. It is literally just a fullness ratio. Let's say your battery was horribly trashed and could only hold about a third of the energy it was originally supposed to. So with far less energy than it is supposed to have, it will still happily display 100% when it is holding that tiny amount of energy. The 100% tells you nothing really about how much energy that is.

Reactions: Exelion
I don't know why some people continue to say that. It is exactly the opposite of the truth. The % is NOT measuring the amount of energy. It is literally just a fullness ratio. Let's say your battery was horribly trashed and could only hold about a third of the energy it was originally supposed to. So with far less energy than it is supposed to have, it will still happily display 100% when it is holding that tiny amount of energy. The 100% tells you nothing really about how much energy that is.

I did not think of this one, as I have not owned the car for long, but yes, battery degradation will affect miles vs % shown as well. This will obviously translate to different maximum ranges between even the exact same specifications of car but with different model years.

Granted, Tesla's 75kW battery packs have shown to have very little degradation even after many years of ownership.

Reactions: WhiteWi
But we're not talking about 10 year old cars here, we're discussing brand new Model Y's, which presumably have good batteries. Your point is valid, but how many times have we seen people post that the miles noted is a result of driving habits? To me, that's why using percentage is much less confusing/irritating than using the miles number. At least the percentage will reflect the portion of the battery level remaining based on how you are driving. For me, that's a much better way to drive than some loosey-goosey interpretation of miles left based on the 'rated range'....