Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y full charge range

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
To me, that's why using percentage is much less confusing/irritating than using the miles number.
Both percentage display and current miles (given in EPA) are not optimal.

With the percentage, you’re constantly translating (guessing) on what you think you have left based on experience with the car you’re driving. If the car says 37% left for example, how many miles is that? I don’t know exactly. I could say its *around* this much give or take, or I could be conservative and say I have at least this much. But there’s no computer behind the scenes analyzing my current and past driving habits and showing me an estimated miles left to empty number. And of course, everyone who says it doesn’t really matter is correct, it doesn’t….except Sometimes I don’t feel like charging it. Maybe 20% will get me to work where its cheaper to charge etc….

With the EPA miles number, well, that’s not good either->we all know that one is overly aggressive and if say it shows 50 miles we’re not going to get 50 miles UNLESS we slow down to about 50-55mph and go super easy on the accelerator.

So no, we could argue about which one of those silly numbers is better but the truth is, Tesla can show us a GOM. I know this because one is present if I choose to display a graph. Hell, what I really want is a percentage (which can be inside the battery) and a GOM next to it. It’s not like I’m asking for a Heads-up display or a gauge console behind the steering wheel.

Reactions: GOVA
Range is overrated. It's an EV. Accept it for what it is or get a gas vehicle and not worry about it. I think it's funny that some owners worry about this when some of those same individuals probably come from sports cars or big gas guzzlin suv's and mpg probably wasn't a concern. EV's aren't for everybody. Like someone mentioned, change to % and forget about it.
Totally agree! The wife and I just finished a 3,000 + mile trip. Checking data afterwards, I found that the furthest traveled between SCs was 169 miles, or about 2 1/2 hours. At my age, that’s about my max before I need a potty break, to stretch the legs or eat. My Model Y is a tad over a year old, has 18,000 miles and is down to max 288. For me, at least, I say “so what.”

But we're not talking about 10 year old cars here, we're discussing brand new Model Y's, which presumably have good batteries. Your point is valid, but how many times have we seen people post that the miles noted is a result of driving habits? To me, that's why using percentage is much less confusing/irritating than using the miles number. At least the percentage will reflect the portion of the battery level remaining based on how you are driving. For me, that's a much better way to drive than some loosey-goosey interpretation of miles left based on the 'rated range'....
The ideal would be a simple “kWh remaining” figure for is EV enthusiasts to use.

Reactions: Kee_Chain
The ideal would be a simple “kWh remaining” figure for is EV enthusiasts to use.
Well, the 'ideal ideal' would be for the miles number to be reflective of driving style, temp, speed, etc..... Others have it, not sure why Tesla uses this 'miles relative to EPA rating' thing, especially when they seem to be the only EV maker that can't consistently achieve their EPA rating.... Again, it's not an issue for me (or most owners, probably) as the available range is plenty sufficient for my daily and road trip use.

Well, the 'ideal ideal' would be for the miles number to be reflective of driving style, temp, speed, etc..... Others have it, not sure why Tesla uses this 'miles relative to EPA rating' thing, especially when they seem to be the only EV maker that can't consistently achieve their EPA rating.... Again, it's not an issue for me (or most owners, probably) as the available range is plenty sufficient for my daily and road trip use.
Because they have energy graph and trip graph for it separately from battery state of charge like your phone does.

Totally agree! The wife and I just finished a 3,000 + mile trip. Checking data afterwards, I found that the furthest traveled between SCs was 169 miles, or about 2 1/2 hours. At my age, that’s about my max before I need a potty break, to stretch the legs or eat. My Model Y is a tad over a year old, has 18,000 miles and is down to max 288. For me, at least, I say “so what.”
100% agree Cigar Man. Just finished the 1000 mile round trip from Rockland county, NY to Toronto on my 3 month old Y. (Long range ,19 inch). Had to charge 4 times (max 80%) going from US to Canada and 4 times coming back to US. Temp around 40F in both Toronto and NY (10-20 mph wind, no snow). Rough usage was around 426wh/mile @ 75mph for this trip. Normal commute gives me around 267wh/mile (33 mile 50% hwy, 50% local) . One thing I learned was to believe the navigation on the model Y. It predicts the % remaining to the dot well in advance. For a 1000 miles trip it would have costed me around $110 on regular gas (32mpg on CRV). Surprisingly it costed me around $108 in charging costs. (washes out) Conclusion: No cost savings for long trips. (Average speed 75mph) Daily commute which is a mix of both highway and local is where all the saving is. But than how many long trips we take in a year or sometimes I think is it worth the extra money for this much of comfort (comparing it to CRV)

Reactions: house9 and WhiteWi
Lithium batteries temporarily lose a little capacity during the winter months due to the colder temps. All EV’s have this reaction to cold weather. After enough exposure to the cold temperatures, the BMS will begin to reflect less range. In my i3, this equates to about a 25% decrease in estimated range every winter. As temps begin to warm up, the max charge range estimate begins to improve until it reaches the advertised max range.
I live in Indiana, and the current weather is between 25 to 45 degrees Fahrenheit. My 2021 MY is 10 months old with 19,000 miles and I am concerned about having only 290 miles rated range on the Tesla App at 100%. I noticed this range drop in October 2021. The Tesla service team said my car checked out fine after the diagnostic test. Being my first time owning an EV in the winter, should I get the rated range back once the weather improves? It has come to the point where I can not make a 190-mile commute @70 MPH anymore without having to charge. I have tried reading numerous forums, calibrated the BMS twice (at least I think I did), and even go as far as to pre-heat the car for 20 minutes and set the temp to 70 degrees to lower my watt usage while driving. If the BMS does lower the rated range in the winter months then I am okay but if the car has this much degradation, I am in trouble.

I live in Indiana, and the current weather is between 25 to 45 degrees Fahrenheit. My 2021 MY is 10 months old with 19,000 miles and I am concerned about having only 290 miles rated range on the Tesla App at 100%. I noticed this range drop in October 2021. The Tesla service team said my car checked out fine after the diagnostic test. Being my first time owning an EV in the winter, should I get the rated range back once the weather improves? It has come to the point where I can not make a 190-mile commute @70 MPH anymore without having to charge. I have tried reading numerous forums, calibrated the BMS twice (at least I think I did), and even go as far as to pre-heat the car for 20 minutes and set the temp to 70 degrees to lower my watt usage while driving. If the BMS does lower the rated range in the winter months then I am okay but if the car has this much degradation, I am in trouble.
Yes and no and everything in between. 17k miles and range drop is 30 miles from original. Winter definitely affects range and calculations but degradation of 15% is not something out of ordinary either.

Real daily commute is 122 miles for MYLR. I posted my calculations in another post.

Yes and no and everything in between. 17k miles and range drop is 30 miles from original. Winter definitely affects range and calculations but degradation of 15% is not something out of ordinary either.
Ugh, it is disappointing because I was hoping to use this car to commute on my 200 mile round trip properties all year round but some of these areas do not have a supercharger so I have to take my dinosaur juice sippers... I am going to wait until summer and see if the lower watt hours will help me commute to these area. I usually hit about 350-375 watt hours right now in winter. In summer I hit about 270ish watt hours. Long-range MS is looking good now😂

• Funny
Reactions: WhiteWi
Ugh, it is disappointing because I was hoping to use this car to commute on my 200 mile round trip properties all year round but some of these areas do not have a supercharger so I have to take my dinosaur juice sippers... I am going to wait until summer and see if the lower watt hours will help me commute to these area. I usually hit about 350-375 watt hours right now in winter. In summer I hit about 270ish watt hours. Long-range MS is looking good now😂
One thing that might help - Tesla will be releasing a CCS adapter "soon" and you can use that at non-Tesla chargers and get higher charging speeds than the J1772 adapter. I'm refreshing the Tesla charging page frequently as I want one and don't want to buy a non-Tesla adapter.