Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y - Gigafactory Texas Production

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I assume that if Texas authorities give their approval then Tesla can begin production in late Dec., at least of sub-assemblies, but perhaps not begin final assembly and shipping of cars until early Jan..
It’s actually 5 separate documents, each part of the pre-assembly. Each with a completion date of Dec 31. But for sure, we should see new cars rolling out very early next year. Hopefully January.

The filing includes separate budgets for each section of the new plant:

• Body-in-white: $182 million
  • General Assembly: $493 million
  • Paint: $126 million
  • Casting: $109 million
  • Stamping: $150 million

I assume that if Texas authorities give their approval then Tesla can begin production in late Dec., at least of sub-assemblies, but perhaps not begin final assembly and shipping of cars until early Jan..
The big question imo is whether these cars will be shipped from the get go with 4680's. I've heard they may use 2170's at first... though I'm not sure that will work if the line is setup to assemble vehicles with structural battery packs.

The big question imo is whether these cars will be shipped from the get go with 4680's. I've heard they may use 2170's at first... though I'm not sure that will work if the line is setup to assemble vehicles with structural battery packs.
From what I read, they should be starting with the 2170’s. Not sure Kato Rd. Will make enough to ship to Austin for production while 4680 plant is being finished in Austin

Reactions: Michael Y 2020
From what I read, they should be starting with the 2170’s. Not sure Kato Rd. Will make enough to ship to Austin for production while 4680 plant is being finished in Austin
There's some info that came out in the past month or so that hints they are moving forward pretty quickly. There were a few large deliveries of 4680s spotted and then there's this:
They may start of with the 2170s... but it looks like they may begin producing the first 4680 cars here pretty soon, as in the next few months. Seems like they are pumping out more and more and stock piling them in preparation for the switch.

Anyhow, I now this isn't the thread for that. Either way, the MYP is an awesome car.

Last edited:
Reactions: scottf200
Anyone think we will get the new colors coming to Berlin from the Austin factory? Interested in what Abyss Blue will look like.
If/when this happens, I wonder if this is a way for someone on the west coast to get an Austin build, if Tesla ends up selling Model Ys with completely different battery chemistries as the same trim with no way to choose between the two.

I watch Joe’s videos every few days. I find his the best of them all. Unfortunately, I don’t expect to see the first VIN for at least 6 weeks, if all goes well. They just applied for regulatory approval for start internet Dec 31.
I agree with your VIN timing. Earlier today I watched a youtube vid and it stated the the application has been approved. Fingers crossed. My EDD keeps bumping from Dec 13-27 and 15-31. At this point I don't care where it comes from, just for it to arrive!

Reactions: BGOwner
According to a recent Youtube report (see below at 2:47) the GigaBerlin Tesla factory is expected to start production by the end of this month with an estimated initial rate of 1000 Model Y's per week with a total of 30,000 Model Y's produced in the firat half of 2022. I suspect GigaTexas will also start out with a modest production rate. It may be that the Kato Rd. Tesla plant may be able to produce enough 4690 cells for this production rate (and perhaps higher) while waiting for GigaTexas's own battery production line to become operational a few months from now.

There has been a lot of speculation as to whether the Kato Rd. battery factory would be able to produce enough 4680 batteries to supply GigaTexas and perhaps also GigaBerlin factories for the early Model Y production (i.e., until GigaTexas/GigaBerlin own battery production comes online). Below is some information that may contribute to that discussion.

From Feb. 1, 2021 I found a story on www.teslarati.com that include the following:

"Tesla CEO Elon Musk disclosed some details about the electric automaker’s 4680 cell plant last week. After stating that the facility is “probably in the top 10 battery cell factories on Earth despite being a pilot plant,” speculation began about how massive Tesla’s new facility that sits just across the street from the Fremont production facility is. Although it is in the top 10, it’s not even close to finished.."

In July www.electrek.com reported:

"Today, with the release of its Q2 2021 financial results, Tesla released a rare update about its progress toward that goal:
We have successfully validated performance and lifetime of our 4680 cells produced at our Kato facility in California. We are nearing the end of manufacturing validation at Kato: field quality and yield are at viable levels and our focus is now on improving the 10% of manufacturing processes that currently bottleneck production output. While substantial progress has been made, we still have work ahead of us before we can achieve volume production. Internal crash testing of our structural pack architecture with a single-piece front casting has been successful."
In Sept. it was reported by www.driveteslacanada.ca (and other sites) that Tesla was going on a hiring spree for the staff at the Kata Rd. battery plant. They reported:

"Tesla appears to ready to significantly ramp production of their new 4680 battery cells as the company has published a job posting for workers on the pilot line at the Kato Road facility in Fremont.

The job posting is titled “Production Associate, Pilot Line Cell Manufacturing” and is a full time position (Req. ID 98424). According to the job description successful applicants will be “trained on how to help build the most exciting, environmentally friendly vehicles on the planet.”

Finally on Nov. 21 www.tesmainian.com reported:

"Tesla continues to prepare for the mass production of its new 4680 battery cells. The company increased the hiring efforts for its 4680 pilot battery cel Kato Road, Fremont, California, a significant increase over prior months."

It will be interesting to see if shipments of structural battery packs or just 4680 batteries start coming out of the Kata Rd. plant and start showing up coming into the GigaTexas factory.

Last edited:
There has been a lot of speculation as to whether the Kato Rd. battery factory would be able to produce enough 4680 batteries to supply GigaTexas and perhaps also GigaBerlin factories for the early Model Y production (i.e., until GigaTexas/GigaBerlin own battery production comes online). Below is some information that may contribute to that discussion.

From Feb. 1, 2021 I found a story on www.teslarati.com that include the following:

"Tesla CEO Elon Musk disclosed some details about the electric automaker’s 4680 cell plant last week. After stating that the facility is “probably in the top 10 battery cell factories on Earth despite being a pilot plant,” speculation began about how massive Tesla’s new facility that sits just across the street from the Fremont production facility is. Although it is in the top 10, it’s not even close to finished.."

In July www.electrek.com reported:

"Today, with the release of its Q2 2021 financial results, Tesla released a rare update about its progress toward that goal:

In Sept. it was reported by www.driveteslacanada.ca (and other sites) that Tesla was going on a hiring spree for the staff at the Kata Rd. battery plant. They reported:

"Tesla appears to ready to significantly ramp production of their new 4680 battery cells as the company has published a job posting for workers on the pilot line at the Kato Road facility in Fremont.

The job posting is titled “Production Associate, Pilot Line Cell Manufacturing” and is a full time position (Req. ID 98424). According to the job description successful applicants will be “trained on how to help build the most exciting, environmentally friendly vehicles on the planet.”

Finally on Nov. 21 www.tesmainian.com reported:

"Tesla continues to prepare for the mass production of its new 4680 battery cells. The company increased the hiring efforts for its 4680 pilot battery cel Kato Road, Fremont, California, a significant increase over prior months."

It will be interesting to see if shipments of structural battery packs or just 4680 batteries start coming out of the Kata Rd. plant and start showing up coming into the GigaTexas factory.
I've been wondering how they plan to transition - will it be a sudden shift, or will there be overlap?

I don't know much about the process and have absolutely zero knowledge as to whether the components being produced now will make their way into production vehicles, but I wonder if they are/will stockpile a large number of cells before starting production of the new Ys - accumulating enough to begin full-scale rollout of the new vehicles while the 4680 line continues to increase its output. A buffer if you will that allows them to maintain a consistent rate of production of Model Ys despite having yet to fully ramp up 4680 production.

Just my two cents worth: My EDD slipped from mid/late Dec to Jan 11-Feb 8th. I'm wondering if this is due to Austin coming on-line soon with production and orders have moved/shifted from the sole US plant in Cali for those of us in the Mid-West/E Coast. Would be a pleasant wait if I could get an A in my VIN as well as the 4680 battery pack. Or, it may just be my pipe dream that I'm sharing with all of you ;)

Just my two cents worth: My EDD slipped from mid/late Dec to Jan 11-Feb 8th. I'm wondering if this is due to Austin coming on-line soon with production and orders have moved/shifted from the sole US plant in Cali for those of us in the Mid-West/E Coast. Would be a pleasant wait if I could get an A in my VIN as well as the 4680 battery pack. Or, it may just be my pipe dream that I'm sharing with all of you ;)
I am with you there, I wouldn't mind one from Austin either. I know the risk of early production issues but willing to take the risk. I do not expect 4680s out of Austin right away. I saw a drone video from Sunday, outside is looking very good. With regulatory being complete and approved for 12/31/21, hoping Jan we will start seeing production MY coming out. From what I hear, pre-prod cars have been coming out already.

In the video, it even showed the exhaust vents with exhaust coming out. Which would seem to indicate machinery is being used.

It appears the MY production at the GigaTexas factory will start off slow, perhaps no more then 1000 cars per week for Jan. 2022. As a result, only a small percentage of the total MY's delivered in early 2022 will be coming from TX vs. from the Fremont factory. It will be the 'luck of the draw" for those of us with deliveries in the first several months of 2022 as to where our MY will be built, and as a result what new features it has.

It appears the MY production at the GigaTexas factory will start off slow, perhaps no more then 1000 cars per week for Jan. 2022. As a result, only a small percentage of the total MY's delivered in early 2022 will be coming from TX vs. from the Fremont factory. It will be the 'luck of the draw" for those of us with deliveries in the first several months of 2022 as to where our MY will be built, and as a result what new features it has.
Note a VIN expert here, but I wonder if we'll be able to tell from the VIN which location they're coming from.