Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y - Gigafactory Texas Production

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I guess in another week we should know if Austin is rolling out MY-LRs. I think we all expected this to happen at some point, but it was just a question of when. Assuming this is happening now, then the real question is how will Tesla handle any differences between the Fremont and Austin built MY-LR models. For example, will Fremont built MY's get the same updates as the Austin built MY's from this point going forward?

My guess is that at minimum, the parcel shelf will be added to the store as something you can have added. Or possibly the app depending on the complexity.

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.
Let's see a MYLR with an NA VIN.

It's possible, but is GigaTexas set up to
a) make 2170 structural battery packs
b) is the production line capable of flexing between different packs, including the added chassis floorpan stiffener for the 2170 pack (despite just getting rolling recently)
(also, the seat mounting is different - again a potentially different assembly station)

Finally, are people confusing terminology ? (AWD is close to the MYLR description terminology)
They won’t be structural 2170. It will be a separate Fremont-like 2170 line. It was mentioned in the last earnings call and by Elon recently in his SV owners club interview. The factory is huge, it makes no sense to only have 1 line. And it will churn out identical to Fremont cars (well almost if they use the front casting in Austin). And they are probably shipping pre assembled packs from Nevada. There is no 2170 production at Texas that we know of so if you ship just the cells then you need to create the line to manufacture packs which is silly when you already have that in place. If they can ship castings from Texas to Fremont, they can ship battery packs from Nevada to Texas.

They won’t be structural 2170. It will be a separate Fremont-like 2170 line. It was mentioned in the last earnings call and by Elon recently in his SV owners club interview. The factory is huge, it makes no sense to only have 1 line. And it will churn out identical to Fremont cars (well almost if they use the front casting in Austin). And they are probably shipping pre assembled packs from Nevada. There is no 2170 production at Texas that we know of so if you ship just the cells then you need to create the line to manufacture packs which is silly when you already have that in place. If they can ship castings from Texas to Fremont, they can ship battery packs from Nevada to Texas.
There's been no discussion of building at Austin a Fremont MY chassis configuration (v1.5, a chassis with rear casting and 2170 battery pack)(v1.0 has no castings).
Musk mentioned a 2170-pack MY. That doesn't describe which chassis.
Remember, using both F+R castings saves many assembly steps, in both time as well as in the direct costs of stamped steel parts/welding and the associated robots.
This was the major factor in undertaking GigaPress diecasting engineering for the MY.

Use of the front casting for the MY chassis requires an additional floorpan sheet be added to reinforce the chassis when using a 2170 battery pack.
This has been clearly documented in Germany, in the Austin Giga Rodeo, and prior descriptions by Tesla.

Front castings have been being made, and stored onsite, at Texas since the Fall. Clearly documented in GigaTexas drone videos.
All MY AWD chassis are v2.0 (F+R casting, structural pack).

2170 battery packs are largely assembled in Nevada. Early 4680 battery packs for Austin were shipped in from Fremont.
We don't directly know any current status on battery packs at Austin, other than that 4680's are limited in availability.

So production would require several changes / parallel stations to accommodate the non-structural 2170 battery pack.
That's not to say it can't or won't be done.
It makes sense, at some point, to enable both chassis builds to maximize flexibility and provide for MY cars at various price points.
It also makes sense, financially, to push out of Austin as many cars as possible - the tax incentive alone is very big.

But it's so early, and in the midst of Austin ramp up an added complexity to logistics, assembly, and distribution, that seems a reach.
Fremont is going gangbusters, and the product quality coming from Fremont has improved dramatically over the last year or so.

Maybe this discussion was instigated by Musk deliberately to keep the fires burning for the Tesla diehard community and drive further demand.
Tesla is a master at online marketing. This smells of more of it.

Reactions: advocate8
It's my understanding that MYs from the new Berlin gigafactory are using 2170 cells as well as front and ream mega-castings. While the 2170 cells do not form part the structure the battery pack housing provides the structure to connect between the front and rear castings to form a rigid chassis. If Austin is in fact now producing MY-LR models using 2170 cells I suspect they are using the same chassis layout as giga-berlin. With this approach when there is adequate supply of 4680 cells to supply true structural battery packs for the MY-LRs, then the only change to the production line would be to use the new version of the battery pack instead of the old one.

Last edited:
Reactions: advocate8
It's my understanding that MYs from the new Berlin gigafactory are using 2170 cells as well as front and ream mega-castings. While the 2170 cells do not form part the structure the battery pack housing provides the structure to connect between the front and rear castings to form a rigid chassis. If Austin is in fact now producing MY-LR models using 2170 cells I suspect they are using the same chassis layout as giga-berlin. With this approach when there is adequate supply of 4680 cells to supply true structural battery packs for the MY-LRs, then the only change to the production line would be to use the new version of the battery pack instead of the old one.
If a 2170 battery pack is installed in a chassis with F+R megacasts, that chassis must have a floorpan added to it for structural integrity.
This is shown in the chassis cutaway demos at both Berlin and Texas open house days, as well as pictures from those events.

What MYLR chassis version that may be being built in Texas is undefined.
It could be the Fremont variant (v1.5 chassis, with rear megacast and std 2170 battery pack), or it could be the Berlin variant (v2.0 = F+R megacasts and 2170 pack with floorpan)

If a 2170 battery pack is installed in a chassis with F+R megacasts, that chassis must have a floorpan added to it for structural integrity.
This is shown in the chassis cutaway demos at both Berlin and Texas open house days, as well as pictures from those events.

What MYLR chassis version that may be being built in Texas is undefined.
It could be the Fremont variant (v1.5 chassis, with rear megacast and std 2170 battery pack), or it could be the Berlin variant (v2.0 = F+R megacasts and 2170 pack with floorpan)
Someone posted the curb weight of their Austin LR MY that was listed in paperwork I believe. Same as Fremont which means no front megacast. Other than the Austin SR AWD, no MY uses front megacast. They are making them and have shown what the build process will be like in prototypes but I don’t think they are actually using them in production models. I believe using them requires a structural battery pack and Tesla has said they won’t make a 2170 structural pack. They designed front megacast and structural around 4680 and haven’t been able to make that work with the same performance specs as 2170 so they havent implemented it yet. As far as anyone knows.

• Informative
Reactions: DrGriz
Evidence in case (apparently?) people are questioning
0F579C2B-5D4F-48F4-99F4-4F4A0C680023.jpeg

How confident are we that these Austin MYLR will have Ryzen?

I receive mine Friday at 5pm in Houston. Any specs or considerations I should keep an eye on?
It appears all MY's have come with the Ryzen processor the new 12v battery (actually a 15v battery) for the past several months (probably all MYs built since Feb.).

It appears all MY's have come with the Ryzen processor the new 12v battery (actually a 15v battery) for the past several months (probably all MYs built since Feb.).
There was a streak of 1-2 weeks with intel processors in March I think. Maybe a shipment that was held up so they needed to put them somewhere once they were delivered. Could be wrong butndont feel like digging through the delivery threads to find the exact timing. I know it was after the initial switch in Jan.

There was a streak of 1-2 weeks with intel processors in March I think. Maybe a shipment that was held up so they needed to put them somewhere once they were delivered. Could be wrong butndont feel like digging through the delivery threads to find the exact timing. I know it was after the initial switch in Jan.
Not sure when it ended, but you are not wrong. I was one of those.

I'm hoping that all Austin cars are AMD, its not like they have a backlog of spare parts hanging around there 🤣
Although that parking lot full of component trailers just seems to be getting more and more full.

Someone posted the curb weight of their Austin LR MY that was listed in paperwork I believe. Same as Fremont which means no front megacast. Other than the Austin SR AWD, no MY uses front megacast. They are making them and have shown what the build process will be like in prototypes but I don’t think they are actually using them in production models. I believe using them requires a structural battery pack and Tesla has said they won’t make a 2170 structural pack. They designed front megacast and structural around 4680 and haven’t been able to make that work with the same performance specs as 2170 so they havent implemented it yet. As far as anyone knows.
The MY chassis using F+R megacasts can use a 4680 structural battery pack, or a 2170 non-structural pack.
Both have been exhibited at Giga Factory open house events, Berlin then Austin.
If the 2170 pack is used, the chassis requires an additional floorpan of sheet steel.
We don't really know which chassis assembly is being used in Berlin. Nor do we know what a MYLR chassis assembled at Austin would be.

I would presume both GF's would use the F+R megacast chassis, because of the production efficiency and cost savings so often cited by them.
It would be unlike Tesla to invest in the parts and processes and not take full advantage.
But we don't really know; there are no reviews I know of showing what's what.

What we DO know is Front Megacasts have been being made and stored at both Fremont and Austin for some time.
At Fremont, they're stored outdoors, lined up in rows on end (not in the stacked production frames as the rear casts are). In Austin, they're indoors.
These have been shown on many occasions via drone videos.

The only new info I've seen is from 'Spoken Reviews' on YT, in which he took his Austin-made 4680 MY SR AWD to a public scale.
He said the result was his SR AWD was 200lbs less than a MYLR - different than the EPA tag which said it was only 75 less than a MYLR.

• Informative
Reactions: KWC_Diu
He said the result was his SR AWD was 200lbs less than a MYLR - different than the EPA tag which said it was only 75 less than a MYLR.
Did he measure both an SR AWD and LR on the same scale?

Edit: Just found the video. So he's claiming after subtracting his weight and cargo, his Model Y measures at 4220 lbs. And he cites 4555 lbs as the MYLR weight. But on Tesla's website, the weight for the MYLR is listed as 4363 lbs or 4398 for the MYP. 140 lb difference is pretty decent, but probably can be explained entirely by the battery capacity difference

Last edited: