Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y - Gigafactory Texas Production

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
To be fair, I really want Tesla to ship Austin stamped 4680 Model Ys. It’s best for the whole industry. And with the state of the other car companies pathetic attempts to enter the market, Austin producing at even 50% capacity changes the whole game and puts laser focus on how far behind the others actually are.

I also am a very analytical person and use data and facts based on a long time (longer than I want to admit) in manufacturing and process control automation. There’s just certain things that have to happen. Tesla is changing the world and manufacturing but there are just laws of nature they can’t rewrite.

I hope people get Austin Ys within the next 2 weeks. I just fundamentally can’t see that happening based on evidence.

In terms of facts… the real insider we need is someone from the supply chain. The electricians and construction and sales and marketing and engineering insiders only know their pieces. The supply chain insiders know exactly when the first vehicle trailer destined to a service center is scheduled to leave Austin.

Right there with you. Been itching to replace the 2013 Model S that has been a workhorse for our family. But I don't want to buy until it's a MYP with 4680s (and I'm hoping there will be a Plaid version, but that's just wishful thinking on my part).

Reactions: Budshark
And with all the benefits of 4680 MY, it is likely to be a new trim when they start using them. Which would need to be offered before vehicles are produced. It doesn’t make sense to stockpile thousands of these to then deliver within a week to customers when other customers have been waiting for months. They should be getting rid of the backlog with initial production then we should see something In the online configurator indicating 4680.

How they would square that with continuing to ship old battery version out of Fremont until Austin production is high... one more question that should get answered at earnings call.

I don't think there is anything to square. Everyone here ordered a Tesla with 2170's and knew there would be a 6 month wait .

We will either get something with 2170's or something upgraded, just like the people who are now getting new computers while some are still getting older ones. If someone wants a 4680 they can cancel their eisting order and reorder when the 4680's are official . Worst case you get what you paid for.

And with all the benefits of 4680 MY, it is likely to be a new trim when they start using them. Which would need to be offered before vehicles are produced. It doesn’t make sense to stockpile thousands of these to then deliver within a week to customers when other customers have been waiting for months. They should be getting rid of the backlog with initial production then we should see something In the online configurator indicating 4680.

It's all speculation but not sure a new trim makes sense every time there's a more efficient innovation planned across the board. Tesla isn't bashful about raising the MSRP so no worry there.

Tesla has already said 4680 Model Ys will be delivered in early 2022 so the current Model Y waitlist will be receiving them. And as I recall, Kato has been stockpiling them for Austin production.

It's all speculation but not sure a new trim makes sense every time there's a more efficient innovation planned across the board. Tesla isn't bashful about raising the MSRP so no worry there.

Tesla has already said 4680 Model Ys will be delivered in early 2022 so the current Model Y waitlist will be receiving them. And as I recall, Kato has been stockpiling them for Austin production.
Still waiting on my Cybertruck early 2022 delivery too, just sayin.

I don't think there is anything to square. Everyone here ordered a Tesla with 2170's and knew there would be a 6 month wait .

We will either get something with 2170's or something upgraded, just like the people who are now getting new computers while some are still getting older ones. If someone wants a 4680 they can cancel their eisting order and reorder when the 4680's are official . Worst case you get what you paid for.
I’m not complaining. I’m not one of the whiners here, so you can point that at someone else. I made a deal, I stick to it. I understand all of that. My point is, as a company, they need to explain it. It’s too large a difference the two versions that may be sold at same time to just let go without discussion, if only a sentence or two saying, yeah, some cars will be different than others for awhile. If the explanation is what you just stated, fine. But they need to communicate on this one. And they will. My larger point is, we don’t know what that communication will say.

Last edited:

I think they may introduce a MY RWD soon. Now how that is going to work out in the context of the new battery design, etc., I am not sure. I know a couple of months ago people with RWD order were notified that Tesla was not going to make it but the California website for eligible cars for HOV lane sticker clearly lists a 2022 MY RWD. It means it was built and tested by the state. Here is the link:

I think they may introduce a MY RWD soon. Now how that is going to work out in the context of the new battery design, etc., I am not sure. I know a couple of months ago people with RWD order were notified that Tesla was not going to make it but the California website for eligible cars for HOV lane sticker clearly lists a 2022 MY RWD. It means it was built and tested by the state. Here is the link:

Interesting that the RAV4 Prime is not on the 2022 list

It's all speculation but not sure a new trim makes sense every time there's a more efficient innovation planned across the board. Tesla isn't bashful about raising the MSRP so no worry there. for

Exactly. And despite the frenzy of 4680 lust here that has made them seem like a huge premium item worth paying extra for (and make no mistake, I would), the fact is they LOWER the cost of manufacture for Tesla. So...putting them in current-order cars makes more profit for the company.

MY was missing for a long time too. They just added last month. I think they only add the cars once they are physically built and sent to them for testing. 2021 RAV4 prime is listed though. Is the 2022 RAV4 prime actually out and being delivered?
1642529096856.png

Looks like they are

I did not know there would be a 6-month wait, mine was supposed to be 3....

Reactions: kabin
Somebody needs to get their new pics / drone videos out for today. Seems strange there was all this noise yesterday afternoon and nothing today. I would’ve thought Joe and others would’ve been at the site first thing today to see what they could capture.

Somebody needs to get their new pics / drone videos out for today. Seems strange there was all this noise yesterday afternoon and nothing today. I would’ve thought Joe and others would’ve been at the site first thing today to see what they could capture.
I noticed with Joe he doesn't go out every day, it's usually every other day. Jeff may follow the same cadence, although with the activity we saw yesterday I would imagine they may want to increase the frequency.

I noticed with Joe he doesn't go out every day, it's usually every other day. Jeff may follow the same cadence, although with the activity we saw yesterday I would imagine they may want to increase the frequency.
Yeah. I don’t know what frequency they have but there were a number of questions after yesterday that could be answered plus if there was additional volume or a hauler appeared on-site to pickup that would be substantial information. Seems like an odd day to either miss or be late on.