Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y - Gigafactory Texas Production

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah. I don’t know what frequency they have but there were a number of questions after yesterday that could be answered plus if there was additional volume or a hauler appeared on-site to pickup that would be substantial information. Seems like an odd day to either miss or be late on.
It looks like Jeff is out there today but he took photos of a lunch break so nothing too interesting 😄.

It really is a fun thread to read for entertainment and it really is just that. Until someone that actually works at the factory with some level of authority people can pretend to know the facts all they want but honestly only the managers of that factory really do know when the first production cars will roll out. Until the cars actually come out and go on a truck to a delivery center I will continue to just be entertained by the banter.

Reactions: mdsco and BGOwner
I don't see Austin producing anything other then the new chassis , there is no reason to make them retool their processes twice.

I think the current build with 2170's is supperior to the new chassis build . The only advantage to the new build is weight loss and the 4680 .

Insurance is going to be totaling these new cars left and right with these front & rear castings being directly connected to the battery when they are in an accident.
and the interior seats being bolted directly to the batterypack is another area where consumers are going to end up paying more in labor if they ever need to replace the batteries. There are also unknowns about road noise with the new floor .

At this point I'd take an austin car if it had the 4680's but i don't want one with 2170's. At least not until we get some people with hands on.
I think you're going a little deep.

The new chassis v2.0 build reduction in weight is just one aspect. Weight is a very big deal with any vehicle, but even more so with an EV.
Also consider fit/finish improvement, since the castings will provide a more consistent chassis to hang the body panels from.
The seat risers are directly attached to the battery pack. Not for seats directly. Not a big deal for anything insurance-related.

As for insurance coverage, total loss accidents, and the more or less possibility of them, is a complete speculation.
In truth, it's AS LIKELY the vehicle will be repairable as it is unlikely.

No one on this blog is such an expert.

It's all speculation but not sure a new trim makes sense every time there's a more efficient innovation planned across the board. Tesla isn't bashful about raising the MSRP so no worry there.

Tesla has already said 4680 Model Ys will be delivered in early 2022 so the current Model Y waitlist will be receiving them. And as I recall, Kato has been stockpiling them for Austin production.
So, people in CA who put down $60K for a 330mi Fremont LR today are going to get a worse car than someone on the east coast who put down $53k 8 months ago (if all indications of Fremont west coast vs Austin east coast hold true)? With the switch to 4680, if they keep the weight the same so handling and acceleration aren't improved, the battery size is going to be much larger (capacity wise) so the car will have a longer range. This isn't a slight upgrade in processing or different console that most people wouldn't car if they paid more or less for, this is the very reason people pay more for Tesla and wait so long, range. It would be entirely irresponsible for Tesla to ship cars with different headline specs to people who paid for the same car. Yes 4680 will be cheaper to produce in the long term when the lines are up to full efficiency but right now they are not so it makes no sense not to capitalize on the increase in efficiencies/weight saving/etc. I don't think Tesla has enough 4680 to supply all LR MY so I think there will be another trim level unless Fremont matches Austin. Also, right after they said 4680 MY from Austin, Elon acknowledged they were prepared to start with 2170 at Austin.

So, people in CA who put down $60K for a 330mi Fremont LR today are going to get a worse car than someone on the east coast who put down $53k 8 months ago (if all indications of Fremont west coast vs Austin east coast hold true)? With the switch to 4680, if they keep the weight the same so handling and acceleration aren't improved, the battery size is going to be much larger (capacity wise) so the car will have a longer range. This isn't a slight upgrade in processing or different console that most people wouldn't car if they paid more or less for, this is the very reason people pay more for Tesla and wait so long, range. It would be entirely irresponsible for Tesla to ship cars with different headline specs to people who paid for the same car. Yes 4680 will be cheaper to produce in the long term when the lines are up to full efficiency but right now they are not so it makes no sense not to capitalize on the increase in efficiencies/weight saving/etc. I don't think Tesla has enough 4680 to supply all LR MY so I think there will be another trim level unless Fremont matches Austin. Also, right after they said 4680 MY from Austin, Elon acknowledged they were prepared to start with 2170 at Austin.
No one would be getting a worse car than they paid for. At minimum? They would be getting a BETTER car already (AMD, lithium 12v battery etc.). Everyone with a car on order will get a better car than they ordered, and it has been clear there will be ongoing improvements, Tesla should explain the logic of this if they have to ship two versions, but a different class? That’s unlikely, and even more unlikely is a huge improvement in range. These batteries are scarce, and they won’t be excited about packing in extra ones. And... If they don’t give a huge range boost, that undercuts the notion of a new trim level. But there is no need for everyone here to get wound up and start arguing over one version of idle speculation vs another. In a week, we’ll know what’s going on from the earnings call.

Reactions: Michael Y 2020

huh?

No one outside of Tesla knows for certain, but the Fremont MYs may be getting the same upgrades more or less at the same time as the Austin MYs start shipping to customers. In that case Tesla will avoid having two versions of the MYs that are shipping to customers. Of course, there will be a (short) transition period where Fremont is shipping out their already produced MYs as the production line is starting up for the updated version. We may learn a lot more on Jan. 26 at the quarterly call to investors. Some Tesla sales centers (at least here in Florida) have been told to expect new demo MYs on (or about) Jan. 24th). My local Tesla SC says their new demo MY will be coming from Austin. It would be interesting to see if any west coast Tesla SCs are also scheduled to get new demo MYs.

Last edited:
Reactions: advocate8
Jeff's youtube video is up now. Lots of Teslas on the chargers. The question is how many new ones are there, just off of the production line. Didn't find any close ups so couldn't see if they have license plates or not.

1642553069268.png

Last edited:
You're rambling.

We will all get to find out what's in store for the near term in a couple days during the Q4 Earnings Call.
Until then, keep your pants on.
It will all be okay, promise!

Wouldn’t a simple solution be to ship 2170s (regardless of US geography) to people who paid 8k less and 4680s to people who paid 8k more? (Assuming you’re have to run two separate lines for a brief period.)

Assumption: you want to run the model you’re going to run but can’t swap Fremont out immediately. So ship 90kwh to higher prices, people who want can reorder at new prices or take delivery of what they were promised?

If people don’t want the 2170, they can order anew, but there’s probably plenty of people out there who’d happily take 2170 and $8k in their pocket…