Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y - Gigafactory Texas Production

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I disagree. WE bought our cars when intel, 2760 or whatever they are, etc etc were in the cars. It is nice to have and VERY generous of Tesla to give us these extras at the cost we paid KNOWINGLY what we were going to get. You all want your cake and eat it too. You all would be “bellyaching” if Tesla said no problem. You will get the new updates, those cost X more dollars. Such a coincidence all the “holders” just so happen to get a delivery date during a vacation and “emergency”. Literally every holder uses that excuse. Face it you are holding because you want the new stuff. If you are that busy you can’t pick up your car when it is ready then go buy a used one on the date and time that works for your busy schedule. If not a simple fix that I would love Tesla to implement and I will make that suggestion when I get my survey is - you put the car on hold, no problem you go back to the end of the line.
By your reasoning, you reward the people who go on Hold due to circumstances.
They by default they get the latest and greatest by waiting longer.
You seem to be frustrated by the wait (as many are).

Tesla seems to try and service first come first, barring circumstances, however contrived.
They assume few people overall actually try to game the system, and take the gamers as a cost of business.

I could have gamed it. If I waited just 4 more weeks - I might have gotten F+R Megacasts, 4680, the works.
But I didn't invent an excuse, my number was up, I took the car.
It was only a 7 month wait.

From the article above.
  • In Europe, Tesla uses the WLTP standard and lists the range of the Model Y Dual Motor Long Range at 505 km (314 miles) on a single charge.
  • As for the EPA driving cycle used in the US, it enables Tesla to advertise a range of 326 miles (525 km) for the Model Y Dual Motor Long Range.
  • In China, Tesla currently lists its longest-range version of the Model Y, Long Range AWD, as having a range of 594 km (369 miles) based on the NEDC standard.
The below chart is from this article and does some interesting comparisons/ratios.

wltpepa-range-comparison-of-bevs-available-in-the-us-april-25-2020.png

Reactions: Cyberspeed
I haven’t had a single hold and I have been impatiently waiting, but to say to a customer who has waited 4-5 months for the car you only have 72 hours to pick it up, with no leeway, is utterly ridiculous. It sounds like you are saying after waiting as long as some of us have, if my delivery date coincides with my kids’ spring break and I’m out of town for the week, oh well get back in line…it’s my fault?!? You can miss me with that.

I would rather have radar then AMD and battery. I have a 2021 Model 3 with vision only and while using autopilot the phantom braking is unbearable. In fact its not usable on two lane roads especially at night. Had Tesla service come and replace cameras and still not working. Next step is to replace the entire autopilot computer to see if it gets better. It is a major major problem and probably going to be a huge recall if Tesla cant fix this with OTA update soon. Service tech said Tesla knows of the autopilot issues but say that Vision based system is still in beta form and working out the bugs.
Nothing like a brand new $50k car that doesn't have working cruise control.
I don’t understand how tesla hasn’t fixed this yet. I’m still waiting on my MYLR, but we’ve had a Subaru for 2 years which uses a camera based system for their suite of safety systems. Yes I’ve had phantom braking on my car several times, but I can count on two hands how many times this has occurred in nearly 10k miles.

Reactions: kabin and Budshark
I don’t understand how tesla hasn’t fixed this yet. I’m still waiting on my MYLR, but we’ve had a Subaru for 2 years which uses a camera based system for their suite of safety systems. Yes I’ve had phantom braking on my car several times, but I can count on two hands how many times this has occurred in nearly 10k miles.
This. It’s hillariois how many people don’t get this.

Reactions: advocate8
Not all Model Ys, or even all Teslas. Some are pretty dirty. Pretty sure a majority are not new production cars. A few may be from Monday's sighting though
I certainly agree that many of the cars on the chargers are not newly produced MYs. However, since Jeff's Monday drone video sid show several MYs with no license plates it would be interesting if some more MYs without plates were in the charger lot on Tues. and Wed.

I'm with you on this and experience the same thing even on 30min Tesla demo drives with AP. On the other hand there's a few reasons for it. A good analogy might be building a good paper airplane versus building the real thing. The paper plane design has the luxury of ignoring many important factors.

I will continue to wait for my Austin build, I know for a fact some cosmetics will be done better than cali, also the paint, I know california has the typical paint chemistry banned in that state, and we dont have that here, so expect the paint to be a bit better than that water based paint used in cali. Also structural pack seems more and more true. Seems also like new orders with similar setup had the same EDD as mine, for example i seen a new order yesterday and said edd feb to march, same as me.

I will continue to wait for my Austin build, I know for a fact some cosmetics will be done better than cali, also the paint, I know california has the typical paint chemistry banned in that state, and we dont have that here, so expect the paint to be a bit better than that water based paint used in cali. Also structural pack seems more and more true. Seems also like new orders with similar setup had the same EDD as mine, for example i seen a new order yesterday and said edd feb to march, same as me.
Yup.... my 2020 M3 the paint was just too soft and seemed to hold dirt. Scratched super easily. def hoping for better, wherever the new Y comes from.

Is the paint a state or federal thing? I heard various other automakers struggling with poor paint these days.

So you have an order and are wanting a Austin Y by Feb/March? Hope you don’t wear your heart in your sleeve.

It’s feeling like Austin is further away than we think - the consensus back in November was that we’d see production in early January. And we had those rumours from Dan Ives and Sawyer that said production would start in mid January - but so far it’s been quiet.

That said, maybe they’ll come out on Monday and say that production is starting immediately. 🤷🏼‍♂️