Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y - Gigafactory Texas Production

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wow, a gigafactory can product a Telsa in 45 seconds? That is amazing. seems a Ford F-150 takes a minute.

No, this is yet another example of a reporter without intelligence or insight. It doesn't take < 1 minute to build any car. Rather, 1 more comes out the door of the factory about every minute. So the run rate is something between 1/minute and 1/45 seconds. From first stamping thru assembly paint dry more assembly inspection, is about 3 days

Reactions: SWIPE
No, this is yet another example of a reporter without intelligence or insight. It doesn't take < 1 minute to build any car. Rather, 1 more comes out the door of the factory about every minute. So the run rate is something between 1/minute and 1/45 seconds. From first stamping thru assembly paint dry more assembly inspection, is about 3 days
Thanks, that would make more sense

Reactions: tangible1
Let's not get upset on what may or may not happen. I do hope you and your kids enjoy spring break.
No, I was just using that as an example. It has happened to people already. We know there are people who were gaming the system, but it was very unfortunate that there were some with legitimate reasons who lost their VIN.

I picked up a new MY this past Sunday. Fremont made.
Paint quality was actually Very Good.
Good orange-peel texturing and proper coating, no gaps or thin spots.
I heard a theory of why Tesla paint quality gets a bad rap is because Tesla are delivered to customers so quickly after being built that the paint does not have time to cure properly where other auto brands have cars sitting on dealers lots for weeks and sometimes months baking in the sun. Obviously in the past two years dealers have not been able to keep any cars on their lots for more than a couple days with the chip shortage.
Probably garbage science but this could help a Tesla fan boi defend his beloved brand. :p

I heard a theory of why Tesla paint quality gets a bad rap is because Tesla are delivered to customers so quickly after being built that the paint does not have time to cure properly where other auto brands have cars sitting on dealers lots for weeks and sometimes months baking in the sun. Obviously in the past two years dealers have not been able to keep any cars on their lots for more than a couple days with the chip shortage.
Probably garbage science but this could help a Tesla fan boi defend his beloved brand. :p
Ah, the picket fence gossip lives on......the internet !!

I thought it had more to do with the laws in CA. My understanding is that they changed the chemical composition of the paint they're allowed to use in order to be environmentally friendly...but I could be wrong.

(likely a temp tag
FJkaaJzXwAYKpP3

439211F
DEC 16, 2021
I love it when an internet meme gets blown up. So rare....

Reactions: advocate8
I thought it had more to do with the laws in CA. My understanding is that they changed the chemical composition of the paint they're allowed to use in order to be environmentally friendly...but I could be wrong.
Wouldn’t that mean that the other brands manufactured in California would have the same type of paint?

Wouldn’t that mean that the other brands manufactured in California would have the same type of paint?
I believe Tesla is the ONLY manufacturer in CA. My buddy runs a body shop and informed me that CA has very strict regulations against using oil-based paint. The paint used in CA is supposed to be water-based. I'm not entirely sure but I believe Austin and Berlin won't have the same regulations. That might be one of the main reasons Elon hypes up the paint jobs they'll have. Again, I'm only speculating on the last part but you never know.

Was this a recent change or has been a law since the Fremont plant opened? Wonder if older model Teslas have the same paint.
I picked up a new MY this past Sunday. Fremont made.
Paint quality was actually Very Good.
Good orange-peel texturing and proper coating, no gaps or thin spots.
Do you plan on applying PPF to your car or are you going to naked?
My white Model 3 has a few nicks on the front bumper and they are probably more noticeable up close on the white paint because the bumpers are black plastic. When I get my model Y I'm going to wrap the front bumper and mirrors for sure and maybe the hood too.

Was this a recent change or has been a law since the Fremont plant opened? Wonder if older model Teslas have the same paint.

Do you plan on applying PPF to your car or are you going to naked?
My white Model 3 has a few nicks on the front bumper and they are noticeable up close on the white paint because the bumpers are black plastic. When I get my model Y I'm going to wrap the front bumper and mirrors for sure and maybe the hood too.
PPF cost is about what it costs to re-paint, unless you wrap it yourself.
I've done PPF myself on a racecar but that wasn't critical cosmetically. It's time consuming but do-able, and the films today are easier to work with.
The nose of a MY will definitely get some abuse over time. That's my only consideration, the rest is minutiae.

If this is accurate, they are a bit further behind than we had hoped.

Hopefully folks buy it now. I’ve been trying to use facts and data to paint the picture but it doesn’t get far.

I’ve been trumpeting and putting in writing this exact timeline since December. But unfortunately a number of folks don’t like the news.

I believe Tesla is the ONLY manufacturer in CA. My buddy runs a body shop and informed me that CA has very strict regulations against using oil-based paint. The paint used in CA is supposed to be water-based. I'm not entirely sure but I believe Austin and Berlin won't have the same regulations. That might be one of the main reasons Elon hypes up the paint jobs they'll have. Again, I'm only speculating on the last part but you never know.

If I'm not mistaken, Lucid Motors is also based in the Bay Area - Newark, CA.