Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y - Gigafactory Texas Production

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah. No surprises really.

Started test builds in Dec. Shipments to customers after validation (waiting for a timeline but I’m holding with March). 2170 and 4680 for Model Y with megacast (split between Texas and Berlin - I’m sure we will hear more about Fremont, China and whether Texas will use 2170s too). Pretty much confirms 4680 and 2170s are designed to be feature parity but should get more details tonight.

So far a big steady as she goes. No surprises except the facts are facts and the rumors are rumors. Shocking.

Someone will absolutely put it more elegantly... my background is in composite engineering rather than metals .... but a few things... If it is going to be plug and play for the later 4680, it will be too tall to work the same way with the shorter batteries, and need more internal structure. It’s also true that if you weren’t going to make the interim pack as thick (not likely), given the same material used to construct the two versions, the later thick (4680) one would be substantially stiffer in torsion etc.
An interim 2170 pack built to 4680 structural pack size would have to have a fair amount more material in it to make its structural behavior similar. Tesla is clever and will figure out a way to hold the extra weight vs the 4680 version to a dull roar, but ... there’s no avoiding more weight, it’s pretty much a straight issue of physics.
In summation, more weight or ( less stiffness ) than 4680 is unavoidable but its unclear whether using this interim 2170 pack they than can beat the current weight without the front casting.

I think the simplest reason is that the 4680 battery casing is designed to carry structural loads, while the 2170 is not.

Yeah. No surprises really.

Started test builds in Dec. Shipments to customers after validation (waiting for a timeline but I’m holding with March). 2170 and 4680 for Model Y with megacast (split between Texas and Berlin - I’m sure we will hear more about Fremont, China and whether Texas will use 2170s too). Pretty much confirms 4680 and 2170s are designed to be feature parity but should get more details tonight.

So far a big steady as she goes. No surprises except the facts are facts and the rumors are rumors. Shocking.
Exactly my thinking. I do not believe there will be a breakthrough in range/performance between MYs built with 4680s compared to 2170s, I still believe Tesla will leverage 4680s to increase production since they are cell constrained and will match 2170s range and performance by using fewer cells. Plus it will be a HUGE nightmare trying to sell two different Model Y batteries with different specs for the same trim level.

I think at the end of the day, Tesla may roll out 4680s to customers without their knowledge and people will probably not notice any meaningful difference unless you are a car enthusiast, you may notice slight improvement in vehicle handling due to increased rigidity.

State of the art paint shop????
Screen Shot 2022-01-26 at 14.25.58.png

Brand new assembly???
Screen Shot 2022-01-26 at 14.25.50.png

Does that mean everyone will be rejecting deliveries till Austin deliveries start?

There needs to be more clarification if Fremont will just not produce Ys anymore and just build 3s, Xs and Ss so customers can know what to expect and how the cars will be different in terms of range when compared to 2170? Will they come with a smaller pack to match the range of the 2170s?

super surpised they said Shanghai and Fremont are running at reduced capacity due to supply chain bottleneck! Imagine you have so many trucks and drivers but the port has little containers

so Berlin and Austin being online would not help production and therefore deliveries and thus revenue. what investors will say...

Elon said production is not limited by 4680 availability but rather by other supply chain parts limitations (eg. chips) I think he was clear Gigatexas be begin delivering MYs this quarter with 4680 batteries.

Also Tesla is not currently working on the $25K car.

Have not yet been asked nor said if Fremont MYs will be same configuration as Austin MYs. I hope that does get answered.

Reactions: Michael Y 2020