Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y - Gigafactory Texas Production

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Then you should have ordered the car when Austin production started. It is exactly the same for those who placed their orders on hold for BBB since people put off getting deliveries since 2020 to Early 2021 for the tax credits. I would love my moms Y to be from Austin. But if we get a Fremont Y, guess what? We will still take delivery because we ordered at the time of how the car currently was at time of order even knowing the pending improvements.

You were not a serious customer at the time of order.... But alas this is off topic.

I agree with this.

However, what are your thoughts about this situation. When I put my order in the EDD was April. I waited specifically until the website started to say April before putting my order in. This was for a variety of reasons, one of which I thought my chances of getting an Austin Y would be somewhat decent by April. Now my EDD says 2/17-3/17...if I get a VIN soon I am contemplating putting a hold on to push my delivery back to April.

Technically, while not ideal for other non Austin reasons, I could manage to take delivery in February/March. However, I would prefer to wait until at least April as I would hate to miss out on an Austin Y by a month or less.

I agree with this.

However, what are your thoughts about this situation. When I put my order in the EDD was April. I waited specifically until the website started to say April before putting my order in. This was for a variety of reasons, one of which I thought my chances of getting an Austin Y would be somewhat decent by April. Now my EDD says 2/17-3/17...if I get a VIN soon I am contemplating putting a hold on to push my delivery back to April.

Technically, while not ideal for other non Austin reasons, I could manage to take delivery in February/March. However, I would prefer to wait until at least April as I would hate to miss out on an Austin Y by a month or less.

It's the same as those rejecting for getting Intel instead of AMD. Before that it was BioDefense Mode. Then it was the matrix headlights/matte center console( only to learn Y LR's keep old headlights).

It's like those that ordered an iPhone 12 in August to then be pissed when the iPhone 13 is announced in September. There is always something new around the corner. We also don't know when Fremont will be transitioning. They could transition at the same time as Austin comes online once certification is complete. There have been front mega casts being stored at Fremont.

Reactions: Michael Y 2020
It's the same as those rejecting for getting Intel instead of AMD. Before that it was BioDefense Mode. Then it was the matrix headlights/matte center console( only to learn Y LR's keep old headlights).

It's like those that ordered an iPhone 12 in August to then be pissed when the iPhone 13 is announced in September. There is always something new around the corner. We also don't know when Fremont will be transitioning. They could transition at the same time as Austin comes online once certification is complete. There have been front mega casts being stored at Fremont.

I agree...thats why I am torn about placing a hold. But If I had any indication that I would have received a VIN prior to April when I ordered, I would have just waited to put my order in. So if I don't put a hold on my order I will have to potentially cancel vacations (flights, etc.) in addition to other big inconveniences. Kind of sucks that when I put my order in I was thinking April would be my delivery date and now it looks like it could be as early as February which would be a huge inconvenience for me and my family.

Reactions: MYeGolf
I agree...thats why I am torn about placing a hold. But If I had any indication that I would have received a VIN prior to April when I ordered, I would have just waited to put my order in. So if I don't put a hold on my order I will have to potentially cancel vacations (flights, etc.) in addition to other big inconveniences. Kind of sucks that when I put my order in I was thinking April would be my delivery date and now it looks like it could be as early as February which would be a huge inconvenience for me and my family.

If you have events in February such as vacation which I wouldn't move, then putting on hold makes more sense and reasonable. Now I wouldn't do so until VIN assigned. Same situation with my moms order. Current EDD has it over vacation. So we shall see.

I will be surprised if they allow a hold on a september order .

If you have events in February such as vacation which I wouldn't move, then putting on hold makes more sense and reasonable. Now I wouldn't do so until VIN assigned. Same situation with my moms order. Current EDD has it over vacation. So we shall see.
Same. My EDD is March 13 - 31st. I have a trip planned March 14 - 18th. I am leaving my order as is until I get a VIN. I’m slowly praying I do get a VIN over vacation if it’s not an Austin VIN so I can delay my order. 😂

even one that had an EDD of April at the time of order. The months of February and March are not good for me as I will be away for multiple weeks (vacations and work events) during those months. I mean, there is a reason why I waited to make an order at the end of September, and that was because the EDD went into April. I could see if my EDD was February at the time of order and then my VIN showed up in February...then a hold wouldn't be warranted.

even one that had an EDD of April at the time of order. The months of February and March are not good for me as I will be away for multiple weeks (vacations and work events) during those months. I mean, there is a reason why I waited to make an order at the end of September, and that was because the EDD went into April. I could see if my EDD was February at the time of order and then my VIN showed up in February...then a hold wouldn't be warranted.
I feel like everyone has been able to reject a delivery at least once without Tesla canceling on them. At least you have that option, for what its worth anyway.... I have heard stories of people not getting assigned another car for over a month, another got assigned the exact same car a few days later lol.

Reactions: cusetownusa
From what I’ve been told they won’t at this point.

I ordered 9/15. Called in 1/3/22 to put order on hold, and I was told their new policy only allows 120 day holds from day of order. So I was only allowed to put on hold until 1/13, that was 120 days from my order date.

Now this was pre-vin. Idk how that effects holds once you have a vin.

I got my vin two days ago and pick up next week.

Far as I’m concerned Sept was the best month to order!!!!

One point to consider - There was nothing specific said in the earnings call as to what configuration of the MY will be coming from Fremont. Some of the 4680 comments could be taken to apply to both Fremont and Texas built MYs while others were just taking about plans for Texas MY production. So there was really no clarification coming from the call to indicate if Fremont built MYs will soon transition over to the new chassis and with 4680 structural battery packs, or not. It does appear that Fremont has been preparing for months to go to the ver. 2.0 chassis with the front and rear maga-castings and this would mean it would require use a structural battery pack. Then the big question is will they use 2160 vs. 4680 structural battery packs. My best GUESS is Fremont will be producing MYs with the new chassis and using 4680 battery packs by the end of this Quarter, around the time MYs deliveries from Texas starts up. This could result in no more than a few weeks transition period when the two factories are out of sync.

It was not clear from the earnings call as to what type of "certification" Tesla is waiting on before starting MY customer deliveries from Austin. I suspect that updated EPA range numbers are part of that certification.

Quarterly update is at this link:

Thanks for the link. Excellent numbers and great pics.

Does it make sense that Fremont and Austin would start 4680 deliveries with Performance Model Ys? Premium profit.
And then add MYLR, once battery production comes online. This would alleviate the problem and grumbling about different batteries for Model Ys from different regions.

That may explain why the configurator says that the EDD for a MYP is March and for the MYLR is August.

Currently, only the Fremont Battery Plant is producing the 4680s in volume. By August the Austin Battery plant should be up and running to provide sufficient 4680s for the MYLR, the Semi and eventually the CYBRTRK.

I'll go out on a limb and say that 4680s out of Austin will primarily start with the LR's purely because those are the first vehicles that the general public have seen being produced there. Its really anyone's guess though. Admittedly, I'm biased as my order is for a LR with an EDD of 2/7-3-7. It would be nice, but if mine comes from Fremont, then so what. Either way, I'll be getting the vehicle I signed up for and will be happy either way.

Reactions: BGOwner
All I did for a year was exactly what Tesla told me to do. 🤷🏻‍♂️
Tesla told you to place and order and ask your SA to ensure you got a car from Austin? A plant that wasn’t close to finished at the time of your order and no real idea when cars would come out? It seems that is what you are asking your SA and reminding him what you want. I would love for you to show us where Tesla told you to do this... Tesla wants you to place an order for what’s listed on the website. Then you wait until they say a car is ready for you. It will match or be better than what you ordered for the same price or less.

Last edited:
Tesla told you to place and order and ask your SA to ensure you got a car from Austin? A plant that wasn’t close to finished at the time of your order and no real idea when cars would come out? It seems that is what you are asking your SA and reminding him what you want. I would love for you to show us where Tesla told you to do this... Tesla wants you to place an order for what’s listed on the website. Then you wait until they said a car is ready for you. It will match or be better than what you ordered for the same price or less.
This right here.

Then you should have ordered the car when Austin production started. It is exactly the same for those who placed their orders on hold for BBB since people put off getting deliveries since 2020 to Early 2021 for the tax credits. I would love my moms Y to be from Austin. But if we get a Fremont Y, guess what? We will still take delivery because we ordered at the time of how the car currently was at time of order even knowing the pending improvements.

You were not a serious customer at the time of order.... But alas this is off topic.
Serious or not, I did exactly what Tesla told me to do at the time. The converse can be said of Tesla, obviously they weren’t serious about wanting to deliver me a car at the time all things considered… but they were more than willing to take my deposit and call me a customer? Definitely off topic though; everyone has different circumstances and I don’t lose any sleep over people online thinking one way or another about me. 😬