Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y - Gigafactory Texas Production

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Teslarati is reporting:

"
Maria Merano

ByMaria Merano
Posted on December 19, 2021
Tesla Giga Texas production seems set to start early next year, making 2022 another exciting year for the company. Tesla CEO Elon Musk recently confirmed that there will be a grand opening party for the Model Y and Cybertruck production facility early next year.

As the buildout of Giga Texas comes to a close, it is getting harder to see inside the massive Gigafactory and spot any interesting updates about the site. Elon Musk acknowledged the situation and announced that Tesla would hold a Giga Texas grand opening party with factory tours early next year."

It will be interesting to watch how they handle bringing Austin online while balancing the MY baseline(s). Wonder how much the customer perspective actually plays in their planning... since Tesla does Tesla, UX (CX) pre-purchase be damned, almost to the point of if it's good it's a 50/50 it was by accident/coincidence. 🤷‍♂️

It will be interesting to watch how they handle bringing Austin online while balancing the MY baseline(s). Wonder how much the customer perspective actually plays in their planning... since Tesla does Tesla, UX (CX) pre-purchase be damned, almost to the point of if it's good it's a 50/50 it was by accident/coincidence. 🤷‍♂️
I wonder how Ford is handling all their backorders while they are rolling out new updates, I would expect Ford to make a fiscally wise decision for their bottom line while holding 'news conferences' to make the herd happy. Sorry, insert Tesla or any other company where Ford appears ;)

I wonder how Ford is handling all their backorders while they are rolling out new updates, I would expect Ford to make a fiscally wise decision for their bottom line while holding 'news conferences' to make the herd happy. Sorry, insert Tesla or any other company where Ford appears ;)
Traditional car companies like Ford roll their changes into the new model year. For the Mach-E, some people had their orders converted from a 2021 to a 2022 several months ago, and were offered a $750 credit for their troubles, which more than offset the small price bump they saw. The 2022s just started production and likely won’t be delivered until late January. So that’s how Ford is doing it.

Reactions: afscotch
Traditional car companies like Ford roll their changes into the new model year. For the Mach-E, some people had their orders converted from a 2021 to a 2022 several months ago, and were offered a $750 credit for their troubles, which more than offset the small price bump they saw. The 2022s just started production and likely won’t be delivered until late January. So that’s how Ford is doing it.
Exactly 💯. The problem is significantly mitigated with the traditional model year approach since a person is impowered to decide for themselves. Tesla's rolling approach has benefits, but also some draw backs like this. The other big draw back I forsee is once the market regresses in used values back towards the mean and resale values will start fluctuating by VIN batch. A first example that is probably insignificant is the difference in passenger lumbar or not. Another potentially significant one is vision+radar vs vision only if they can't get a handle on the spike in phantom braking that seems to correlate with that hardware change.

Reactions: Stook02ss and X Fan
Exactly 💯. The problem is significantly mitigated with the traditional model year approach since a person is impowered to decide for themselves. Tesla's rolling approach has benefits, but also some draw backs like this. The other big draw back I forsee is once the market regresses in used values back towards the mean and resale values will start fluctuating by VIN batch. A first example that is probably insignificant is the difference in passenger lumbar or not. Another potentially significant one is vision+radar vs vision only if they can't get a handle on the spike in phantom braking that seems to correlate with that hardware change.
Yeah, Teslas approach is frustrating imo. I've got a MYP on order that I will likely need to cancel and reorder because I desperately want a 4680 car - the potentially reduced weight alone should make it a much more aggressive machine, particularly in the corners. At the moment it can't compete performance wise with its ICE counterparts from Germany - all else staying the same and dropping upwards of 250-300lbs could change that.

It'd be nice to know in advance if the order I'm placing is for a 4680 car (which atm, with a hold release.date of 2/27, is almost certainly not).

Yeah, Teslas approach is frustrating imo. I've got a MYP on order that I will likely need to cancel and reorder because I desperately want a 4680 car - the potentially reduced weight alone should make it a much more aggressive machine, particularly in the corners. At the moment it can't compete performance wise with its ICE counterparts from Germany - all else staying the same and dropping upwards of 250-300lbs could change that.

It'd be nice to know in advance if the order I'm placing is for a 4680 car (which atm, with a hold release.date of 2/27, is almost certainly not).
I'm with you. I'm fine waiting for the battery update. Have a MYP on hold but we really don't need another car for a while. I go back and forth every single day but I might have to pass on this one even though I placed the order $2k ago.

I'm right there with you as well. I have an EDD of 1/18 - 2/15 on my MYP, and I have been researching the 4680 batteries in ad nauseum. And I like you need to wait for my build to contain the structural 4680 battery pack attached to the front and rear castings.

Reactions: Stook02ss
I'm right there with you as well. I have an EDD of 1/18 - 2/15 on my MYP, and I have been researching the 4680 batteries in ad nauseum. And I like you need to wait for my build to contain the structural 4680 battery pack attached to the front and rear castings.
Yup, the performance should be way better with them, and I'm not just talking acceleration. The reduced Maas should make it much better at braking and handling.

While some people don't think its worth the wait... the performance edge of Teslas is one of the big reason I'm going with one. Not waiting 3-6 months for a car that could be 5-10% better all the way around that I'm dropping almost 70k after taxes on just doesn't make sense - that's a ton of money and something I'll only do once every 4-5 years.

Reactions: Sunvalleylaw
Yup, the performance should be way better with them, and I'm not just talking acceleration. The reduced Maas should make it much better at braking and handling.

While some people don't think its worth the wait... the performance edge of Teslas is one of the big reason I'm going with one. Not waiting 3-6 months for a car that could be 5-10% better all the way around that I'm dropping almost 70k after taxes on just doesn't make sense - that's a ton of money and something I'll only do once every 4-5 years.
I feel the same way.

I feel the same way.
As far as I am concerned, as soon as these enhancements are rolled out, there will be others on the horizon that are also worth waiting for. How long do you wait for all the enhancements, when try release the flying module?

You have to pull the trigger at some point, what is released today is better than a year ago, and the year before.

Reactions: preilly44
As far as I am concerned, as soon as these enhancements are rolled out, there will be others on the horizon that are also worth waiting for. How long do you wait for all the enhancements, when try release the flying module?

You have to pull the trigger at some point, what is released today is better than a year ago, and the year before.
I hear ya that there will always be an update around the corner. But after my research on these 4680 batteries, I need to wait because we are so close.

Reactions: kabin
I hear ya that there will always be an update around the corner. But after my research on these 4680 batteries, I need to wait because we are so close.
So close being 6 months or more. Rumor is, first ones are needed for cyber trucks. Regulatory approvals for Giga Texas did not include battery factory, yet. Saw a YouTube yesterday talking about it, can’t recall which.