Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y - Gigafactory Texas Production

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
just wondering if the new Model Ys built in Austin will have the HW4, new cameras and 4860 batteries.....I want to order, but want to make sure of what I am going to get....if I order now, a march 22 delivery dates shown.....that almost certainly a car made in Fremont.....any help thanks...

Reactions: ord3r
You're forgetting the batteries will weigh less. They won't use the same number of cells. There's an internet fantasy that range will be greatly enhanced. It won't by much.
The new chassis removes the floorpan (replaced by the structural pack)
The Front megacast replaces far more stamped steel / welded pieces than the rear.
You're also forgetting that Elon himself said 10% weight reduction (ok, that's an Elon)

The main advantage to the consumer is that the 4680 will allow you to charge up to 80% in about 10 minutes . Fo 99% of the people that won't matter but it should help get down the the Gas filling time.

Reactions: scottf200
Unless you are expecting a tesla executive to post here and reply, anything else is a guess.

If you are looking for guesses about "model Y and austin" there are already several (long) threads on that:

Are three such threads, with at least 100 posts each in them.

Unless you are expecting a tesla executive to post here and reply, anything else is a guess.

If you are looking for guesses about "model Y and austin" there are already several (long) threads on that:

Are three such threads, with at least 100 posts each in them.
dont think there are any Tesla executives...but thanks

• Funny
Reactions: ord3r
First batch of Austin produced vehicles leaving this morning. Wasn’t told if they were for consumer or showroom purposes.
Most likely going to Tesla sales centers as new demo/showroom vehicles. My local Tesla SC expects to receive one early next week. May be a day or two later when customers can get their hands on it. Too bad that neither Joe nor Jeff normally are flying their drones around gigatexas on the weekends.

It may not be a coincidence of the timing of the first gen 2 MYs arriving at SC and with next week's quarterly earnings call with investors and any announcements made there. Stay tuned, expect lots of news next week.

Last edited:
Reactions: scottf200
Most likely going to Tesla sales centers as new demo/showroom vehicles. My local Tesla SC expects to receive one early next week. May be a day or two later when customers can get their hands on it. It may not be a coincidence of the timing of the first gen 2 MYs arriving at SC and with next week's quarterly earnings call with investors and any announcements made there.
I called my local gallery and asked about a Test Drive. They said the 2 closest galleries won't have any demo cars untul this Wednesday the 26th. Let's see if they are Austin or Fremont builds.

The main advantage to the consumer is that the 4680 will allow you to charge up to 80% in about 10 minutes . Fo 99% of the people that won't matter but it should help get down the the Gas filling time.
Yes, the 4680 is supposed to improve charging time, but only by 10%
And you're forgetting that reduced weight also improves handling and performance.
400lbs is a LOT of weight advantage. It also means that fewer batteries give same range, and makes it easier for Tesla to add range when competition finally arrives.

just wondering if the new Model Ys built in Austin will have the HW4, new cameras and 4860 batteries.....I want to order, but want to make sure of what I am going to get....if I order now, a march 22 delivery dates shown.....that almost certainly a car made in Fremont.....any help thanks...
Plus since your in LA you'll get a car from Fremont since Tesla will deliver Austin Y's east of TX.

Yes, the 4680 is supposed to improve charging time, but only by 10%
And you're forgetting that reduced weight also improves handling and performance.
400lbs is a LOT of weight advantage. It also means that fewer batteries give same range, and makes it easier for Tesla to add range when competition finally arrives.
Not that much of an advantage when my ass is in the car but ok.... :)