Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y - Gigafactory Texas Production

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
(likely a temp tag
FJkaaJzXwAYKpP3

439211F
DEC 16, 2021
That is a M3. Look at the roof glass. The split Is above the passenger compartment. On MY the glass splits at the rear hatch. The car to the left is a MY, it looks bigger and taller.

You're forgetting the batteries will weigh less. They won't use the same number of cells. There's an internet fantasy that range will be greatly enhanced. It won't by much.
The new chassis removes the floorpan (replaced by the structural pack)
The Front megacast replaces far more stamped steel / welded pieces than the rear.
You're also forgetting that Elon himself said 10% weight reduction (ok, that's an Elon)
Yes. The 4680 cells are more efficient and will take less cells to achieve the same range or slightly more than 2170 models. The world thinks that Tesla will pack these cars full with 4680 cells and cars will be over 400 mile range. Never happen on "budget" Teslas Model 3 and Y and my guess is that the Model S and X will be the first packed full of 4680 batteries eventually to achieve 400+ mile range to compete with Lucid rumored potential 500 mile range vehicles. Less batteries needed means more cars produced and more profit for Elon since batteries are the costliest item in the car.
Shedding extra weight should be a nice boast in range and new casting will do that.

Reactions: mrwug and advocate8
Yes. The 4680 cells are more efficient and will take less cells to achieve the same range or slightly more than 2170 models. The world thinks that Tesla will pack these cars full with 4680 cells and cars will be over 400 mile range. Never happen on "budget" Teslas Model 3 and Y and my guess is that the Model S and X will be the first packed full of 4680 batteries eventually to achieve 400+ mile range to compete with Lucid rumored potential 500 mile range vehicles. Less batteries needed means more cars produced and more profit for Elon since batteries are the costliest item in the car.
Shedding extra weight should be a nice boast in range and new casting will do that.
Not only does the world think they will pack them full of batteries for 400-mile plus range, they think, magically, the car will also till be more than 400 pounds lighter. They think they get the cake and the icing too.

Sorry cannot share picture due to NDA. He said it would be on twitter soon enough. Loaded around 6am this morning, at least that’s when I received the text. They are production vehicles, not certain on battery type as they have been produced both ways so far. It’s an enclosed white carrier with three side stripes on it. Side door is open showing a black MY on bottom with Gemini wheels and a blue MY loaded above it.

4680 batteries will not be seen for a long time, yet. Likely they will first drop with cybertruck - which has had its dates delayed - and the Tesla semi. You are looking at like a year and a half or longer to see them.
isn't the Kato plant in Nevada making them? been watching the Giga Texas plant everyday....looks like they are getting close...the Ys there will have 4680's I believe.....I could be wrong though, but I see them sooner than that

There are a lot of semis on order that will use those batteries. And a ton of cybertrucks.

They won’t hit model y for a long time.
it was my understanding that the Kato plant would be supplying Texas with batteries until they were up to full production.....Ys from there would have to have 2170s imported for Y production and that wont happen....battery set-up in Texas in farther along than you think....why would;d Texas make the truck with 4680s and not put them in the Y

Sigh.

Let’s ask ourselves a few questions.

Has Tesla ever shipped a new model to Service Centers ahead of release?

What would a Model Y 2.0 at service centers even be for? Here’s a new model you can’t have and if you order we won’t promise you can get?

What is Tesla showing with these demos as they’ve been fairly transparent the new Model Y 2.0 is more about them than anything buyers would see.

What is the source of these demos? SAs? Have they proven reliable in the past?

On the other hand:

Is it likely if this picture appears, these are being sent for testing and road validation? Which would be a logical step prior to any public releases?

Just encouraging some counter thought here. Because maybe the insider is just a guy who sees things but doesn’t have the full context. And then assumptions are made. And maybe the article yesterday was a planted leak to quiet down the wild assumptions. And maybe Jan 26 we will hear an update, but it won’t be “Rush out to your local Service Center to see the new model y we secretly shipped overnight! But not you on the west coast. You don’t get this yet.”

But what do I know.

Sorry cannot share picture due to NDA. He said it would be on twitter soon enough. Loaded around 6am this morning, at least that’s when I received the text. They are production vehicles, not certain on battery type as they have been produced both ways so far. It’s an enclosed white carrier with three side stripes on it. Side door is open showing a black MY on bottom with Gemini wheels and a blue MY loaded above it.
Please post the twitter link once your friend has it up.

it was my understanding that the Kato plant would be supplying Texas with batteries until they were up to full production.....Ys from there would have to have 2170s imported for Y production and that wont happen....battery set-up in Texas in farther along than you think....why would;d Texas make the truck with 4680s and not put them in the Y
Eventually they will. But they will be constrained for a while. And the cybertruck and semi have to use the 4680 packs. Model y doesn’t.

So, temper your expectation. It will be a long while before they hit model y.