Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y - Gigafactory Texas Production

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Cancelling and reordering could get expensive given high demand and general inflation. But at least higher price would bring substantial improvement, compared to paying $5k more so an arcade game or youtube loads faster.
Expensive for some orders, not others. MYP deliveries aren't taking nearly as long as LR. Many, if not most, people with MYP orders ordered after 11/12, which I'm pretty sure is the date of the last price increase. Any of them could cancel and reorder today for only $250.
And on both sides of the DMV desk during the transaction, people are wearing .45 Colts open-carry on their hip for all the honest world to see.
I wouldn't call verifying the VIN a nanny state thing, no more than voting or buying a handgun should require an ID... just saying.

As for .45 Colts, I prefer Springfields. One can never have too much protection from the DMV and its customers, I know we've all seen some pretty wild stuff at the DMV lol.

Looking forward to tomorrows update by Tesla, hopefully we finally get some semi-concrete info on Austin!

I stopped by my local Tesla SC this morning. The MY they hoped to receive yesterday is now believed to be coming in on Friday. They did receive a MY-P demo unit last week from Fremont, but the Austin MY demo is now expected this Friday. I'll check back this weekend and see if's really from Austin and not another Fremont MY.

I stopped by my local Tesla SC this morning. The MY they hoped to receive yesterday is now beleived to be coming in on Friday. They did receive a MY-P demo unit last week from Fremont, but the Austin MY demo is now expected this Friday. I'll check this weekend and see if's really from Austin and not another Fremont MY.
That'd be awesome. So far it seems like the Austin cars are really Freemont cars that passed through Austin. Should be interesting to see how what people report here compares with the Tesla meeting tomorrow.

Expensive for some orders, not others. MYP deliveries aren't taking nearly as long as LR. Many, if not most, people with MYP orders ordered after 11/12, which I'm pretty sure is the date of the last price increase. Any of them could cancel and reorder today for only $250.

I wouldn't call verifying the VIN a nanny state thing, no more than voting or buying a handgun should require an ID... just saying.

As for .45 Colts, I prefer Springfields. One can never have too much protection from the DMV and its customers, I know we've all seen some pretty wild stuff at the DMV lol.

Looking forward to tomorrows update by Tesla, hopefully we finally get some semi-concrete info on Austin!
True statement on the MYP vs MYLR issue.

They almost certainly do it all on paper and simply ship the tags around, either to Fremont or to the SCs.
Not once in my life, out of I dunno 20 cars, have I ever had to produce the actual vehicle to register it. Just my paperwork.
Moving the the cars from Fremont to Texas THEN to SC’s would be pretty cumbersome.
What about for manufacturer/dealer tags? The M3 I test drove in 2020 had a temporary dealer plate hung from the trunk during the drive. You can't register a car and assign a license plate then sell it again as new. Any car sold as new has not been registered and will not have a license plate. Any car in that lot with a paper tag has been sold to someone. If they are from Austin, they need to be shipped out of state before they can come back in and be driven. All these demo cars people are talking about coming from Austin wouldn't have plates or tags of any sort. They will get one of the dealer's temporary plates for test drives.

I speculated a while back that unless Tesla was using covered haulers or shipping out at night that we would know when they are building and shipping vehicles from Austin. I believe I got a lot of flak saying that Tesla wouldn't need to do that. Now it sounds like they are shipping cars out in covered haulers so people don't know what's going on. I still don't think they have any type of meaningful production happening beyond confirmation vehicles to make sure the machinery works.

What about for manufacturer/dealer tags? The M3 I test drove in 2020 had a temporary dealer plate hung from the trunk during the drive. You can't register a car and assign a license plate then sell it again as new. Any car sold as new has not been registered and will not have a license plate. Any car in that lot with a paper tag has been sold to someone. If they are from Austin, they need to be shipped out of state before they can come back in and be driven. All these demo cars people are talking about coming from Austin wouldn't have plates or tags of any sort. They will get one of the dealer's temporary plates for test drives.

I speculated a while back that unless Tesla was using covered haulers or shipping out at night that we would know when they are building and shipping vehicles from Austin. I believe I got a lot of flak saying that Tesla wouldn't need to do that. Now it sounds like they are shipping cars out in covered haulers so people don't know what's going on. I still don't think they have any type of meaningful production happening beyond confirmation vehicles to make sure the machinery works.
Yup. That factory doesn’t look busy at all. Contrast it with the drone footage of the Semi factory... full parking lots, tons tractor trailer rigs pulled up deliver parts...

One guy said they were shipping in a covered hauler but didn’t post his pic and his evidence never appeared. I’d say we are a long way from saying they are doing that.

Reactions: advocate8
Where have you been reading your info? For sure not here. after tomorrow's meeting we will still have plenty of rumors and lack of facts. :p
My info does not come from here which is why it’s accurate. But yes. I agree that any hope tomorrow stops speculation is false. I just hope the statement is clearly made that deliveries are expected in March and there are no surprise Austin demo cars. But that second half is a little too specific to happen. That rumor will only die as the days and weeks pass. Kinda like the Dec and first week of Jan, second week of Jan, 7-10 day rumors. They just die as they fail to happen.

Sharing some quick feedback regarding today's MYP test drive. No surprises:
  • Fremont build in Jan '22, 168 miles
  • Ryzen processor
  • Laminated front windows, single-pane rear
  • No apparent changes to the interior
  • Matrix headlights
  • Michelin tires
Panel fit looked pretty good except for the rear pillars around the hatch (pic attached).

Not an audiophile but wasn't impressed with the stereo after adjusting the EQ. Sounded muddy and flat. Despite what others say, I think my wife's M3LR stereo is slightly better. I give it a 6/10 using Bluetooth audio, by comparison I give my Raptor an 8. Wasn't expecting a 10K sound system but definitely wanted more for my money. Anyway, this is off-topic for Austin thread.

Pleasantly surprised with the ride considering the 21s.

No regrets on my order and unless the Austin MYs will have a better stereo, I'd be content with what's currently coming out of Fremont. Looking forward to autopilot and all of the other Tesla creature comforts, having trunk space again, and a safe reliable vehicle I can pass on to my kids in 6 yrs. Also looking forward to my redneck friends with trucks ragging on me for getting rid of my truck because the jokes on them - they just don't know it!

Attachments

• PXL_20220125_230037942~2.jpg
    PXL_20220125_230037942~2.jpg
    162.7 KB · Views: 67
  • PXL_20220125_231114730.jpg
    PXL_20220125_231114730.jpg
    177 KB · Views: 50
Reactions: geekfam