Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y - Gigafactory Texas Production

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My local Tesla sales center got in two new MY demo vehicles this week, both from Fremont. They had previously said they expected at least one from Austin, but it didn't turn out that way. So, we are still waiting for the first Austin build MY to show up at a Tesla sales center or to be delivered to a customer. Of course, all that Tesla is officially saying is deliveries will begin this quarter.

Reactions: pcmike
My local Tesla sales center got in two new MY demo vehicles this week, both from Fremont. They had previously said they expected at least one from Austin, but it didn't turn out that way. So, we are still waiting for the first Austin build MY to show up at a Tesla sales center or to be delivered to a customer. Of course, all that Tesla is officially saying is deliveries will begin this quarter.
They can’t deliver demos until after certification is complete

Reactions: DrGriz
And? Based on what we know, an updated Model S Plaid built around 4680s would be an even better car.

No one here said the a Model Y with 2170 would be inferior in general, just with respect to a similarly equipped Model Y with a 4680 battery. No one said the 2170 would he a bad car, it'd still be amazing.... just inferior with respect to the newer model. It sounds harsh, but it's reality. The fact that the Austin cars may use different paint will be yet anither reason they are better imo. The only thing I can envision being better about the 2170 car is battery maintenance/repair.

Actually we don't know that at all. The 4680 is designed to maximize energy density and manufacturing costs. When it comes to max sustained output, thermal cooling is king and ironically tons of little thin cells are easier to cool (but much more expensive to manufacture and assemble per pack size).

I believe that these are the certifications they were referring to during the discussion the other day:

NHTSA does the certification
100% understand who does the certification. But can’t ship a Demo vehicle until after certification. What if it fails? Then they have people driving around In uncertified cars.

Bottom line, don’t expect to see a demo car from Austin, before certification

Last edited:
Actually we don't know that at all. The 4680 is designed to maximize energy density and manufacturing costs. When it comes to max sustained output, thermal cooling is king and ironically tons of little thin cells are easier to cool (but much more expensive to manufacture and assemble per pack size).
Correct, and the weight savings alone would permit a lesser max output (power wise, which means less heat as well) while allowing for better acceleration.

LMAO! There’s a manual hinting at cooling seats!! It’s definitely gonna be on my build or I’m delaying for that.

There was also talk about air suspension on the 3/Y. Hasn’t happened. Likely won’t.

Did we all forget that the passenger lumbar was removed because ‘it doesn’t get used much and we save money’?

Oh and radar is no more.

Keep dreaming for those seats and features.

I think it’s worth distinguishing ventilated seats, matrix lights, etc which are driving experience with the idea increased range, which is a core competency of the vehicle. One can say “there will always be something new coming” but sizable range increases are more limited and for many are a huge deal. I would not wait for cooled seats (though I’d enjoy them). I would wait for range (probably 40 miles is enough for me to wait six months and 100 to wait a year, not that either is coming on either timescale.)

Reactions: DrGriz
LMAO! There’s a manual hinting at cooling seats!! It’s definitely gonna be on my build or I’m delaying for that.

There was also talk about air suspension on the 3/Y. Hasn’t happened. Likely won’t.

Did we all forget that the passenger lumbar was removed because ‘it doesn’t get used much and we save money’?

Oh and radar is no more.

Keep dreaming for those seats and features.
Air suspension may be a baseless dream atm, but the seats are based on hard evidence. A draft manual that discusses ventilated seats is not trivial. It's not a guarantee, but it's pretty strong evidence it's on the horizon.

Air suspension may be a baseless dream atm, but the seats are based on hard evidence. A draft manual that discusses ventilated seats is not trivial. It's not a guarantee, but it's pretty strong evidence it's on the horizon.

Have had vetilated seats in my vehicles since around 2015, and also live in a summer hot/humid area and do lots of outdoor physical activity in the summer months. I very rarely use the ventilated seats option. Really does nothing to cool you down except make you feel like you've pissed yourself if you're sweaty from activity. YMMV.

Copy/paste issue? Even if it were a copy/paste error, its still more evidence than for inclusion of an air suspension system. Evidence vs no evidence. There's a difference.
The infographic asset used in the manual that showed cooled seats is the same asset used in the Model S/X manual (which does have ventilated seats). Copy image from model S manual, paste into Model Y manual not realizing the images are not 100% interchangeable.

Have had vetilated seats in my vehicles since around 2015, and also live in a summer hot/humid area and do lots of outdoor physical activity in the summer months. I very rarely use the ventilated seats option. Really does nothing to cool you down except make you feel like you've pissed yourself if you're sweaty from activity. YMMV.

YMMV indeed. :)

Ventilated seats push cabin air.... which is air conditioned. What difference?
Agreed. Cool air is heavier and drops to the seat fan intake.

Mine works well aside from the short term increased fan noise but once I'm chilled down I just reduce the fan speed.

The alternative to ventilated seats is trying to seat-squirm for a semblance of natural evaporative cooling. For many it's probably been the answer since the days of riding horses as primary transportation.

Reactions: Stook02ss
This is the part I don’t get. Why are they inferior? Does this make the Model S Plaid the most inferior because it had the oldest model batteries that the 2170 improved upon?

Taking complex multidimensional technologies and trying to boil it down to newer = better is such flawed logic. Every tech has pros and cons and Tesla is balancing these options to meet their needs.

4680 vs 2170 cell is a manufacturing decision and both options can create fundamentally similar cars. Just as Teslas most advanced vehicles can use its oldest battery cell.

4680 does not magically equal better Model Y.
Inferior in that one would be upgradable and one wouldn't, both being sold at the same time.

"Literally NOBODY would want the inferior Y's"? I think it's more like, literally NOBODY would know the difference. This forum of Tesla enthusiasts isn't an accurate sample set of the majority of people who are buying the MY.
I don't know about that. That would be a pretty big deal that the media would run with, one version has upgradable range while another version does not... sold simultaneously? Even if the number was low like you imply such as 30/70 or 20/80 in terms of informed versus uninformed, that's still a large number of buyers that wouldn't make sense for Tesla to gamble with.