Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y - Gigafactory Texas Production

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's far more likely that they are going to be used to fill customer orders and are just heading to different delivery centers until final certification is received and then they can immediately be delivered.

There is no cosmetic difference between this and an existing car so there is no reason for them to swap out the display models that I can think of.

I don't think they would do this until certification was complete. As an example, the structural pack does remove an extra barrier between the battery and the occupents so an accident could result in a fire reaching the occupents faster which is why they need to have the testing done so Until that point I don't believe they would move these cars to anywhere where people can interact with them.

Current curb weights on the Tesla site are 4363lbs for LR and 4398lbs for the P.

1644941211462.png

1644941261978.png

If that's an American site, that's been updated. It's not what it said 3-4 weeks ago.
Yes, it’s the US site. They updated it around the end of last week. The curb weights dropped a little, and also are now different between the P and LR. Possibly taking wheel/tire and brake weight differences into account now, or accounting for the lithium 12/15v replacing SLA. Nobody knows what prompted the update.

Reactions: Stook02ss
Current curb weights on the Tesla site are 4363lbs for LR and 4398lbs for the P.

View attachment 769326

View attachment 769327
35lbs. more for the Performance model? I would think it would be the other way around. Can't wait for someone to post the new weights with the structural battery pack on some legit drag strip scales. One would think the that the Austin built MYP will be lighter than the MYLR to add to it's potential performance gains. Remember these cars will not just competing against each other, they will be competing against the entire world EV Market.

35lbs. more for the Performance model? I would think it would be the other way around. Can't wait for someone to post the new weights with the structural battery pack on some legit drag strip scales. One would think the that the Austin built MYP will be lighter than the MYLR to add to it's potential performance gains. Remember these cars will not just competing against each other, they will be competing against the entire world EV Market.
Bigger wheels and bigger brakes would add that weight alone plus different suspension.

That would actually make a lot of sense as it solves a lot of problems for Tesla with differentiation between two cars of the same trim having different characteristics.
So maybe for calendar year 2022 the Y production shifts completely to Austin for Q2-Q4 until they have more of the new cells and are able to flip things over at Fremont.
Speaking for myself personally, I would pay a premium to get a car made in Austin because the paint shop at Fremont is trash.
Agreed with everything you said. If Tesla builds two cars of the same trim level with different characteristics they are going to face a lot of backlash from customers.. especially when it's easy to tell via VIN number which car was made in what factory. By switching sole production of the MYP to Austin.. it lets them also slowly increase production at that factory until it can finally produce enough vehicles to allow Fremont to properly shut down and retool for the 4680 structured battery pack + giga-case F/R subframes.

Just did a full detail on my year-old Y and the paint is certainly disappointing. I have only hand washed this car using new microfiber towels and the number of scratches & swirls in the paint make it look its been through the automatic wash at the gas station. The paint still pops and looks awesome from a distance.. but close up it already needs to be polished. Here are a couple of pics from this weekend..

Attachments

• EEE33349-1A83-4E6B-80B9-9A3D25455D18.jpeg
    EEE33349-1A83-4E6B-80B9-9A3D25455D18.jpeg
    378.9 KB · Views: 74
  • 0C5991FA-BCAF-4B70-9227-702BC71B08A0.jpeg
    0C5991FA-BCAF-4B70-9227-702BC71B08A0.jpeg
    745.4 KB · Views: 68
Reactions: rob968
Bigger wheels and bigger brakes would add that weight alone plus different suspension.
I believe the 21" Ultraturbines on the MYP are about 7-9lbs heavier than the optional 20" Inductions.. and 9-11lbs heavier than the standard 19" Geminis on the MYLR. Multiply any of those numbers by 4.. and the bigger wheels alone would basically make the MYP 30-40lbs heavier than MYLR.

I believe the front brakes are the same on both vehicles. However, the rear calipers on the MYP are larger. Not sure about the rotors.

Last edited:
Agreed with everything you said. If Tesla builds two cars of the same trim level with different characteristics they are going to face a lot of backlash from customers.. especially when it's easy to tell via VIN number which car was made in what factory. By switching sole production of the MYP to Austin.. it lets them also slowly increase production at that factory until it can finally produce enough vehicles to allow Fremont to properly shut down and retool for the 4680 structured battery pack + giga-case F/R subframes.

Just did a full detail on my year-old Y and the paint is certainly disappointing. I have only hand washed this car using new microfiber towels and the number of scratches & swirls in the paint make it look its been through the automatic wash at the gas station. The paint still pops and looks awesome from a distance.. but close up it already needs to be polished. Here are a couple of pics from this weekend..

I got lucky with delivery of my 2018 M3 as the paint was not great but not terrible. I still spent about four hours polishing it out.

Some of it is paint shop quality and some of it is delivery prep, but having bought lots of so called "luxury" cars over the past 20 years the quality of Tesla fit finish continues to disappoint for such a premium priced product.

Reactions: ohmman and Daekwan

I had my blue June 2020 build paint-corrected, full front PPF and full OptiCoat Pro ceramic coated when new. I've hand washed many times over the past almost 2 years, 21K miles and two salty winters, and have not experienced the same paint swirling issues. I use a microfiber covered sponge to wash, and terry towels to dry. Maybe your microfiber towels are too aggressive? Or the paint on your build was softer than mine?

Reactions: Bagoosh
Does anybody know who or what entity has to issue the permits and/or certifications before Tesla can sell Austin MYs to customers?
I only know one of them. I heard this from another TMC poster a few months ago. All car manufacturers have to get a Certificate of Conformity from the EPA for any new models or significant design changes. So, I expect they will need to get one for the structural pack and 4680 cells.

I check this site a few times per week to see if the certificate pops up. Nothing yet.

I had my blue June 2020 build paint-corrected, full front PPF and full OptiCoat Pro ceramic coated when new. I've hand washed many times over the past almost 2 years, 21K miles and two salty winters, and have not experienced the same paint swirling issues. I use a microfiber covered sponge to wash, and terry towels to dry. Maybe your microfiber towels are too aggressive? Or the paint on your build was softer than mine?
So you got me there. I did use new microfiber to wash.. but to dry I was using one of those artificial chamois. I literally just bought this Griots drying towel last week, to dry the car this weekend (its was 60 degrees in DC last Friday & Saturday).. and it exceeded my expectations in every way. I'm basically never using anything else BUT this Griots towel to dry my car: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01BD5F19A/

That said I've used that same artificial chamois for years on my other vehicles and those swirls never appeared.. including my C6 Corvette. The chamois had always done a fantastic job of drying the paint, leaving zero streaks and not swirling up the paint. Now that I know the swirls & scratches are already existing in the Tesla.. my plan is to polish them out the next weekend we have really nice weather and continue using the Griots drying towel from now. I guess it makes sense to go ahead and buy new microfiber wash mitts too. They are cheap and you figure it's one more thing to remove from the equation of what's causing these swirls. https://www.amazon.com/Chemical-Guys-Scratch-Free-Microfiber-MIC493/dp/B086HKHWZ4/

I also don't use the two-bucket method, but I do use a grit guard in my one bucket and make sure to shake the hell outta the towels when dipping them back in the bucket: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ABYVTZA/

Regardless.. there is absolutely no reason why those swirls should return in the future given all of the careful steps above. But I still hold the opinion that the paint on my Tesla is just incredibly soft.. whereas the clearcoat on something like my old Vette was much harder and probably thicker.

Last edited:
Only Tesla blue and silver colors are labelled metallic, Red is multi-coat. Normally, metallic paint is harder. Could be the reason?

Reactions: Daekwan
I only know one of them. I heard this from another TMC poster a few months ago. All car manufacturers have to get a Certificate of Conformity from the EPA for any new models or significant design changes. So, I expect they will need to get one for the structural pack and 4680 cells.

I check this site a few times per week to see if the certificate pops up. Nothing yet.
Thanks WiscWestCoast! Will watch it with you.