Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y - Gigafactory Texas Production

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think certification would make national news, given the microscope Tesla sits under. I would be surprised if it took more than half an hour before it was twittered.
There is one scenario where they may not mention getting certification

There was sometalk that Tesla does not need to start paying on Austin until the quarter it begins deliveries and that it makes more sense for tesa to start deliveries in april since it gives them 3 full months of selling cars befefore a payment is due instead of two -four weeks .

This may be why the austin party was moved from 4/1 to 4/7, they want to see a delivery first. Tesla can still begin shipping to customers at the end of march but deliveries may not happen till April

• Informative
Reactions: MontyFloyd
There is one scenario where they may not mention getting certification

There was sometalk that Tesla does not need to start paying on Austin until the quarter it begins deliveries and that it makes more sense for tesa to start deliveries in april since it gives them 3 full months of selling cars befefore a payment is due instead of two -four weeks .

This may be why the austin party was moved from 4/1 to 4/7, they want to see a delivery first. Tesla can still begin shipping to customers at the end of march but deliveries may not happen till April
Interesting thought. Tesla might not announce it, but it might still slip out. I don't think it would remain a secret, Guess we'll find out! 🍻

Well they had giga Berlin fest a while ago and it’s still not in production. So who knows when actual production will start

Well thats a true cluster over there. Tesla followed all the rules and did everythhing they had to and then they have to deal with this BS after they have already invested billions. I'm betting that Elon wishes he could have that one back.

Well thats a true cluster over there. Tesla followed all the rules and did everythhing they had to and then they have to deal with this BS after they have already invested billions. I'm betting that Elon wishes he could have that one back.
You can bet the big German manufacturers have a heavy influence on the politicians making up all these delays.

Reactions: 98DOMINATES
Not sure I would agree they folllowed *all* the rules. They followed the rules they thought they needed to.

What governing body certifies the plant allowing Tesla to sell vehicles?
Dr. Google tells me EPA and NHTSA
From what was said last month at the quarterly earnings call, it is the cars (not the plant) that is awaiting certification from the Feds. It has not been made clear what certification is at issue. It could be either from the EPA (vehicle range and emissions) and/or NHTSA (vehicle safety ratings).

From what was said last month at the quarterly earnings call, it is the cars (not the plant) that is awaiting certification from the Feds. It has not been made clear what certification is at issue. It could be either from the EPA (vehicle range and emissions) and/or NHTSA (vehicle safety ratings).
Pretty sure that's what he meant. I have no doubt the plant itself required a bajillion inspections/certifications and so on. 🍺

Edit: and you are right, it is probably one of the two. My guess would be NHTSA, because if you go to the EPA auto website, they make it clear that NHTSA has a primary role. EPA is going to worry about the batteries and paint, though, so it's entirely possible they are holding things up as well.

The one thing I really want to hear about is the paint quality coming out of Austin. I've been pricing this stuff out and
I really hate the thought of putting up to $6k worth of PPF on a new car . Ceramic for dirt is one thing but never had to worry about paint. Hopefully they are using better paint which is not the soft crap coming out of Fremont. Its the one thing that could make me cancel . It would still be cheaper to cancel and reorder then then to keep whats coming and have to put PPF on it if the paint was that much better.

Dr. Google tells me EPA and NHTSA

At the risk of repeating myself from back on page 75 of this thread, you can check for the EPA Certificate of Conformity (needed before deliveries start) using this site. I check a few times per week, but nothing yet. I thought it was worth mentioning again since I see a lot of questions about it. If you search for Tesla and Model Y and set the cut off date to 1/1/22, if anything comes up, you will know certification is complete. You can see the certificates from last fall when they released the 2022 model year.

The one thing I really want to hear about is the paint quality coming out of Austin. I've been pricing this stuff out and
I really hate the thought of putting up to $6k worth of PPF on a new car . Ceramic for dirt is one thing but never had to worry about paint. Hopefully they are using better paint which is not the soft crap coming out of Fremont. Its the one thing that could make me cancel . It would still be cheaper to cancel and reorder then then to keep whats coming and have to put PPF on it if the paint was that much better.
There is no way I would spend on PPF, unless it was absolutely sure it would be necessary.

Was PPF something you've done to your previous vehicles? Did you notice heavy damage from rock chips and other road debris on your previous vehicles? I ask these questions because I'm almost 15k miles on my year-old Y and the unprotected paint on the front bumper & hood has held up amazing well. It's not perfect... I believe I have about 8 or so millimeter-sized chips in the paint. But they are incredibly hard to see and would be basically invisible with a few dabs of touch-up paint.

I'm already thinking about trading my Y for another car, possibly an Austin-built MYP. As you can imagine I am so happy I didn't put any extra expensive into my car.. as you will never get that money back spent on things like PPF. It essentially keeps your car perfect, for the next buyer to enjoy.

There is no way I would spend on PPF, unless it was absolutely sure it would be necessary.

Was PPF something you've done to your previous vehicles? Did you notice heavy damage from rock chips and other road debris on your previous vehicles? I ask these questions because I'm almost 15k miles on my year-old Y and the unprotected paint on the front bumper & hood has held up amazing well. It's not perfect... I believe I have about 8 or so millimeter-sized chips in the paint. But they are incredibly hard to see and would be basically invisible with a few dabs of touch-up paint.

I'm already thinking about trading my Y for another car, possibly an Austin-built MYP. As you can imagine I am so happy I didn't put any extra expensive into my car.. as you will never get that money back spent on things like PPF. It essentially keeps your car perfect, for the next buyer to enjoy.
Well thats just it... No I am not the kind of person who would typically do any kind of protection. But at the same time I have never had a 60K+ car with known soft *sugar* paint problems. I also generally keep my cars until they need to be towed out (about 15 years) so any benifits will be mine . Scratches and chips tend to show up more on the darker colors as well.

At the risk of repeating myself from back on page 75 of this thread, you can check for the EPA Certificate of Conformity (needed before deliveries start) using this site. I check a few times per week, but nothing yet. I thought it was worth mentioning again since I see a lot of questions about it. If you search for Tesla and Model Y and set the cut off date to 1/1/22, if anything comes up, you will know certification is complete. You can see the certificates from last fall when they released the 2022 model year.
EPA issued the certificate of conformity for the 2022 MYs on Nov. 1, 2021. Anyone know when the 1st customer deliveries began for 2022 MYs. As I recall it was very near that date.