Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y - Gigafactory Texas Production

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Nice. If true, then it’s not only east coast getting the Austin Ys
Elon said the dividing line was the Rockies, with Austin serving the Eastern 2/3 and Fremont serving the Western 1/3.
Colorado falls in the Austin delivery area.

Cat'sMeow.gif

Last edited:
I'm in a bit of a conundrum. Leased our MY November 2020. Just was not sure if we would like the vehicle. We do. A lot. Well put together and reliable. But I digress. Can't buy the car after the lease (which we certainly would). So, we plan on purchasing our next MY (around Nov 2023??) and the issue of the "built in CA built in TX" comes up.

I am pretty confident that by the time the lease ends we will all have a much clearer picture as to the pros and cons of Teslas coming out of either factory. If (big if) there is a meaningful advantage with buying our next MY from TX I would have to scheme how to do that as we leased our current MY while in AZ but have a home on Cape Cod as well.

Timing kinda sucks as we'll be turning in the MY in Nov, the start of our "season" in AZ.

Brilliant and insightful suggestions welcome.

Rich

I'm in a bit of a conundrum. Leased our MY November 2020. Just was not sure if we would like the vehicle. We do. A lot. Well put together and reliable. But I digress. Can't buy the car after the lease (which we certainly would). So, we plan on purchasing our next MY (around Nov 2023??) and the issue of the "built in CA built in TX" comes up.

I am pretty confident that by the time the lease ends we will all have a much clearer picture as to the pros and cons of Teslas coming out of either factory. If (big if) there is a meaningful advantage with buying our next MY from TX I would have to scheme how to do that as we leased our current MY while in AZ but have a home on Cape Cod as well.

Timing kinda sucks as we'll be turning in the MY in Nov, the start of our "season" in AZ.

Brilliant and insightful suggestions welcome.

Rich
Order from Massachusetts. Not sure if the leased Model Y is your only car. If you drive it to Arizona then turn it in in November. Then fly back to Cape Cod and drive your new Austin Model Y out to Arizona. Or have it shipped out there if you don't want to drive it cross country.

RT

I’m taking delivery on Thursday of a LRMY. The thought occurred to me to release the VIN, but it seems like there’s not enough information to know that the next assignment would be an Austin built one and I’d like to have it by mid-April. Plus, although it would be amazing to have the 4680s, it wasn’t what I ordered when I placed the deposit. Does anyone read the situation differently?

Reactions: BGOwner
I’m taking delivery on Thursday of a LRMY. The thought occurred to me to release the VIN, but it seems like there’s not enough information to know that the next assignment would be an Austin built one and I’d like to have it by mid-April. Plus, although it would be amazing to have the 4680s, it wasn’t what I ordered when I placed the deposit. Does anyone read the situation differently?
Do you think they will even allow you to release the VIN without canceling your order, your sig shows you put the order on hold and they sent you a cancel email back then. just my 2 cents.

• Helpful
Reactions: BagheeraNY
Order from Massachusetts. Not sure if the leased Model Y is your only car. If you drive it to Arizona then turn it in in November. Then fly back to Cape Cod and drive your new Austin Model Y out to Arizona. Or have it shipped out there if you don't want to drive it cross country.

RT
We also have a Chevy Bolt (see Avatar-Cover of book on EVs I've published). Hope to turn the Bolt in and order a M3 (SR with LFP battery). If that plan works might just drive the M3 to the Cape and as you suggested pick up a MY while on the Cape and ship the M3 back to AZ and drive the MY to our place in AZ.

Lots of first-world problems here.

Rich

So, from what I have seen recently, it looks like there maybe cars that are intended for customers at the Austin factory. They have a small number of cars sitting outside and covered. As with others, these are the MYLR models. The thought is that these are awaiting the certification of the cars from the factory, by the NHTSA. EPA range numbers would come later most likely. Not sure if we will see any MYPs coming out of Austin anytime soon.

Reactions: buddhafree
So, from what I have seen recently, it looks like there maybe cars that are intended for customers at the Austin factory. They have a small number of cars sitting outside and covered. As with others, these are the MYLR models. The thought is that these are awaiting the certification of the cars from the factory, by the NHTSA. EPA range numbers would come later most likely. Not sure if we will see any MYPs coming out of Austin anytime soon.

The VIN posted by the guy in Denver is a white MYP with tow. He doesn't want attention so he deleted the FB post. Spoke to him on Messenger... just wants his MYP and doesn't care where it comes from.

Truckloads of MYPs coming out of Austin.
Screenshot_20220226-125800_Google.jpg

Reactions: house9 and voxel
"Not sure if we will see any MYPs coming out of Austin anytime soon."

Of course and they are MYPs. Check the wheels and spoilers. That's the point.
Yet there’s no video showing those being loaded at the factory. We have not seen any MYP parked outside. If this VIN is legit, we may start seeing MYP sitting outside waiting to ship.

Regarding VINs 1-136, probably the LRs we have seen covered outside and those are likely going to show rooms as test drive/display vehicles.

Yet there’s no video showing those being loaded at the factory. We have not seen any MYP parked outside. If this VIN is legit, we may start seeing MYP sitting outside waiting to ship.

Regarding VINs 1-136, probably the LRs we have seen covered outside and those are likely going to show rooms as test drive/display vehicles.
I counted 144 sitting outside at one point. all blue or black. I assumed there were a few more inside in production etc.

An SA did some digging for me.. that Denver VIN doesn't seem legit. Some problems with that order. The FB guy seems honest and legit (I DMed him) but it might be a glitch.
Probably not, just another copycat photoshopper that learned about check digits yesterday. VIN’s are always assigned in batches, I figured if we didn’t see anymore today being assigned from Austin that it was fake.