Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y - Gigafactory Texas Production

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You know I was thinking…just getting forged rims is around 10lbs a side so -40lbs there…

I could lose some personal weight about 20lbs…so now - 60lbs haha.

Take out the mobile charger bag and just keep the one universal adapter…say -15lb there…remove the cover for the rear trunk lower cavity 6lbs…remove the reverse speaker from exterior 2 lbs…

I’m at 83lbs and didn’t even hit one piece of crazy technology nor got into any discussion about casts or manuf weight.

Just sayin…😂 sometimes you just gotta turn it all off and keep it simple.
this is actually pretty legit. the guy’s acceleration calculations should be a wakeup call.... I bet I’m toting 100 lbs of stuff I don’t need.
And ditto aerodynamics: Elon’s personal issue with having to put side mirrors on the cars isn’t silly... bet those things cost 30 miles of range.
Team Ineos has been mocked for it a lot, but the phrase they use ...“marginal gains” is real stuff....

Besides battery and structural changes. What else if you guys think we’re getting with the new Model Ys? Will Texas get the same upgrades as China?
Depends on which upgrades you are referring too. Most of what is coming out of China today gets added in the US a few months later. Only thing I can think of, not software related, recently out of China is the Upgrade for Auto Trunk.

Reactions: DerbyCityY
Depends on which upgrades you are referring too. Most of what is coming out of China today gets added in the US a few months later. Only thing I can think of, not software related, recently out of China is the Upgrade for Auto Trunk.
There’s the door trim that is a wrap around continuation of the dash.. on the black interior it has wood inlays, which some prob wouldn’t like. I happen to.

Reactions: Destiny1701
There’s the door trim that is a wrap around continuation of the dash.. on the black interior it has wood inlays, which some prob wouldn’t like. I happen to.
Updated doors. Matrix headlights on all models. Rear doors windows double paned. On the top of my head those 3. Who knows what else. I remember Elon calling this Model Y the new remodeled Y, hoping we at least get these 3

Updated doors. Matrix headlights on all models. Rear doors windows double paned. On the top of my head those 3. Who knows what else. I remember Elon calling this Model Y the new remodeled Y, hoping we at least get these 3
These are all things they could implement easily at Fremont and just haven’t. They may eventually. Given their current profit margins, and the major markups on Y in second half of last year, they certainly have room to do those things. Could be waiting for supplier contracts to run out.

This 👆🏽. China Y has has the door inlays like the model 3 for some time now…as they wanted to increase sales quick. NAmer didn’t matter… as sales are through the roof with 6-8 month wait times…why bother adding cost right?

Here’s hoping this new Austin version incorporates what we were missing :)

this is actually pretty legit. the guy’s acceleration calculations should be a wakeup call.... I bet I’m toting 100 lbs of stuff I don’t need.
And ditto aerodynamics: Elon’s personal issue with having to put side mirrors on the cars isn’t silly... bet those things cost 30 miles of range.
Team Ineos has been mocked for it a lot, but the phrase they use ...“marginal gains” is real stuff....

The only test that I've seen showed remarkably small improvements:

Granted, there may have been confounding factors (eg, wind direction), so its hard to say, but it doesn't seem like the difference is massive.

The only test that I've seen showed remarkably small improvements:

Granted, there may have been confounding factors (eg, wind direction), so its hard to say, but it doesn't seem like the difference is massive.
maybe... he got 2 percent I’m a not exactly lab test. Elon said 5 percent, which given the nearly 10 percent difference between 19 and 20 inch wheels seems reasonable...
that weird semi production three wheeled EV running around apparently has the drag of two standard pickup truck side mirrors. to be fair those things are like small barn doors of course...

maybe... he got 2 percent I’m a not exactly lab test. Elon said 5 percent, which given the nearly 10 percent difference between 19 and 20 inch wheels seems reasonable...
that weird semi production three wheeled EV running around apparently has the drag of two standard pickup truck side mirrors. to be fair those things are like small barn doors of course...

Yeah, it could easily be 5% and be well within the margin of error on this test. I guess that still might be worth it sometimes. Although I'd have a hard time getting used to digital mirrors for everything, I think.

I
But then there’d be no Q1 customer deliveries! 😱
Q1 deliveries with full FSD to use as Robotaxis! Oh, wait....

In truth, surely it is close to the point where some of the cars stacking up will be customer cars. Prob the ones out there now will go to employees etc based on what they’re doing at Berlin. But yeah, seems like no reason they can’t knock out a couple dozen Q1 deliveries to regular folks. But wait lists is a few hundred thousand, right? So chances of getting one seem really, really low till late summer/fall.

Reactions: DrGriz
I

Q1 deliveries with full FSD to use as Robotaxis! Oh, wait....

In truth, surely it is close to the point where some of the cars stacking up will be customer cars. Prob the ones out there now will go to employees etc based on what they’re doing at Berlin. But yeah, seems like no reason they can’t knock out a couple dozen Q1 deliveries to regular folks. But wait lists is a few hundred thousand, right? So chances of getting one seem really, really low till late summer/fall.
But will they hold them all until at least April 7 and hand out the first ones at the Opening party? Which would be no deliveries in Q1.