Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y - Gigafactory Texas Production

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
People seem to be thinking the new slightly-lower-range EPA cert for a "Model Y AWD" is somehow the new MYLR.

I don't think that's the case at all.

MYLR will remain MYLR at ~330 mille range regardless if it's made in Fremont or Austin. Range might go up slightly as 4680 pack goes mainstream.

Meanwhile, what I see in the new EPA filing is Tesla making room for a CHEAPER MY under the LR which might or might-not go live any time soon (they already have a RWD variant that seems unlikely to ship, but has an EPA tag too).

Thinking that they'll reduce range on MRLY which has already been ordered doesn't seem rational.

People seem to be thinking the new slightly-lower-range EPA cert for a "Model Y AWD" is somehow the new MYLR.

MYLR will remain MYLR at ~330 mille range regardless if it's made in Fremont or Austin. Range might go up slightly as 4680 pack goes mainstream.

Meanwhile, what I see in the new EPA filing is Tesla making room for a CHEAPER MY under the LR which might or might-not go live any time soon (they already have a RWD variant that seems unlikely to ship, but has an EPA tag too).

Thinking that they'll reduce range on MRLY which has already been ordered doesn't seem rational.
Agreed, I think this will just be a MY AWD. Not LR

Reactions: advocate8 and NYMY
Ryan Shaw had an interesting but probably far fetched theory on the new mysterious Model Y. He thinks that the new rumored lower range Model Y will be the first vehicle produced first with the 4680 batteries packs so Tesla will be able to produce more cars using less 4680 cells.

Ryan Shaw had an interesting but probably far fetched theory on the new mysterious Model Y. He thinks that the new rumored lower range Model Y will be the first vehicle produced first with the 4680 batteries packs so Tesla will be able to produce more cars using less 4680 cells.
I don’t think that’s far fetched at all, Sawyer Merritt and some other Tesla “personalities” share that same view.

Reactions: Brolan
I don’t think that’s far fetched at all, Sawyer Merritt and some other Tesla “personalities” share that same view.
My option, sounds like they are going to sell a shorter range model to start moving the 4680s they have with the Austin capacity (e.g. make some money/cash flow) until the 4680 production rates support cutting over the MYP and/or MYLR. It moves product while also providing a graceful transition to the current model Ys, limiting hold games and should reduce the number of pissed off customers that just miss out on existing reservations.

I concur/approve 🤣

Has there ever been any specific announcement that Austin would be producing Model Y LR AWD or MYP? No. Just that they would be producing Model Y. Everyone ASSUMED it would be the existing models but Tesla has not confirmed or denied this, only that no new models would be produced due to chip shortage (this is a new trim, not a new model). Once again, people assume and start hyping things that aren't true. See 14% more range due to 4680 cells and all the other battery day crap that was projections of what the battery techonology could provide if goals were achieved. All we know is they are producing 4680 but no word on what chemistry they are and if the energy density is the same as 2170 NCA.

What we do know is Tesla submitted a vehicle to EPA for certification that is a new model called Model Y AWD with an apparently smaller battery than the LR AWD and bigger than the SR RWD. In the paperwork submitted for this model there is a slide showing an Austin built VIN 7SAYGDEE4NA000067 that shows as Long Range Dual Motor in the software and had 1714 miles on it at the time of the picture. The car that was tested shows as having 2998 miles on it at the time of the second submission (a resubmittal for corrections). We do not know if Tesla called this long range dual motor at the time of picture but changed it when it was submitted when they realized it was a lower range. Or this is the employee only version and customer cars from Austin will be 330 mile range. We do know that if the customer version of this 280 mile car has a 330 mile range, the battery pack will be 15% heavier which means the car will be heavier than the current LR AWD MY. Unless this car has a different battery than the customer version. You say you have inside info and that Austin will be producing a car with 350 miles range with NCA 4680 and structural battery. This car does not look like that and all appearances show it is coming from Austin. If this is what Austin is capable of, then people need to temper expectations. If this is what 4680 is going to be, oh boy. All the cost savings make sense when you scale and use LFP (this is the only thing that makes sense with this particular car). We know they will be cell limited with 4680 as the car portion of the plant scales to full production.

Once again, we will not know what is really happening at Austin until they deliver cars. For a while, the demo cars at a lot of show rooms were SR MY (I know because I test drove one). Maybe they are producing these as demo cars. Again, all speculation and until an actual delivery happens, we won't know for sure. The LFP question will be easy to answer based on setting charging limits.

Yes and the 4680 MYLR will get a modest range increase to 350-375 to differentiate from this MY AWD. My prediction...
50 miles isn't enough of a range differentiation? M3 SR, SR+, MR and LR were 220, 240, 260 and 310. 20, 20 and 50 miles for the next step. And 36 miles from SR RWD to AWD for MY. I don't see them needing to up the range for a LR 4680 car.

Digging a bit deeper and looking at the 2022 SR MY data here are some thoughts (some facts with my suppositions so I will not call this a fact as to what is being produced):

Battery specific energy - 160 wh/kg
Battery weight - 341 kg
Battery volume - 0.4 cu m
Battery capacity - 54.56 kwh
Curb Weight - 3920

For 2021/22, the AWD applications do not have this same data page so we can't directly draw conclusions on battery weight and size. This information is also not available for the 2022 LFP RWD M3, but we can assume a couple of things and do some math to get similar data.

RWD M3 (LFP)
Battery specific energy - 126 wh/kg
Battery energy capcity - 174 ah (assumed)
Battery voltage - 350
Battery capacity - 60.9 kwh
Battery weight - 483 kg
Curb weight - 3880

SR+ M3 (2170)
Battery specific energy - 145 wh/kg
Battery weight - 375 kg
Battery volume - 0.4 cu m
Battery capacity - 54.38 kwh
Curb weight - 3616

Comparing the SR MY and RWD M3, MY (2170) would have a 380 kg battery at the same kwh as the LFP battery. So 100 kg (220 lbs) weight savings for 2170 vs prismatic LFP. Extrapolating this to an 82 kwh (total capacity) battery, that is 650 kg for LFP and 515 kg for 2170. 135 kg or 300 lbs. Also, based on the RWD M3, the 54.56 kwh battery had to be enlarged to 60.9 to make up for the extra weight so adding this to the 82 kwh battery, it would need to be 91.5 kwh total which would weigh 726 kg. For the new AWD model, the calculated kwh is 68 (based on recharge events and percent charging losses from the 82 kwh packs). 68 kwh of prismatic LFP would be 539 kg if the specific energy is the same as the RWD M3. 2021 LR AWD MY has a battery weight of 480 kg and total capacity of 79.2 kwh from the same type of documents. In other words, if the new AWD is LFP (4680 or prismatic? who knows?) it would have a 59 kg weight penalty (130 lbs) which would be offset by the front casting and structural pack and you get a 25 lb lighter car overall. Also of note, the 2021/2 SR MY had an increase of 15 wh/kg of energy density compared to the same battery in the SR+ M3. And those are still 2170 packs (2170L might be the reason why more energy?). The current math with available numbers point toward LFP in these Model Y AWD cars.

Also interesting to note, the 2021 SR and LR MY have the same battery volume listed in the applications, 0.4 cu m.

Another random thought, with the recent price increases, maybe they were already planned like the ones in 2021 and this new model is coming in at a lower price point to qualify for rebates. I think a lot of jurisdictions have a $60k limit for base model so producing this "mid range" AWD or a SR RWD would allow the Model Y to continue to qualify. With no lower priced version, you can't argue that the Long Range or P are just an upgraded trim of a base model.

This would suck for the people who ordered a $84k loaded Model Y Performance and got 2170 batteries when a possible sub $60k Model Y got the fancy new 4680 cells.
Since my last reply took a while to compose, I missed a few things so sorry for the double post.

Um, so far there is nothing fancy about the new cells. Yes they are new. But the benefits are mainly in cost savings to Tesla. Yes they may allow cars to charge faster but that is yet to be seen. Yes they are supposed to last longer but that is also yet to be seen. I would rather have a tried and tested 2170 car than a new 4680 one that might have problems down the road costing $$$$ to fix since they are structural. They had a lot more problems trying to make 4680 cells than switching from 18650 to 2170. They might still be having problems with 4680 and that is why we are seeing this new model with less cells and maybe even a different chemistry. Until Tesla confirms what is going on or someone tears down one of these new packs, we won't know. There will be hints along the way for sure. What does the cahrging screen say? Is it the same as the RWD M3 or is it like the LR MY? Still need hands on on one of these cars to know for sure.

Who knows. I’ve given up trying to predict Tesla behavior while wearing my pointy-eared “Mr. Spock Logic Hat."
You’d think surely they would sneak two or three out the door just to be able to say in next earnings call they had begun customer deliveries on schedule. But they’ll do something unpredictable.
Also... the YouTube-Twitter Hype Combine still hasn’t uncovered EPA final certification, which surely they would salivate over.

It would be pretty flashy to invite in the first 10 or 20 owners or something and hand over the keys... uh... I mean apps.
5A6FC118-57A9-4FD2-AF74-D342D8BF3F5B.jpeg

The speculation about Texas plant producing only a new seemingly lower-range MYAWD variant would seem to run counter to the claim that Austin will supply only the right half of the country...

I would speculate the opposite direction that the future MYAWD is the solution to "what do we do with all these 2170 cells now that MYLR runs 4680s?"

Reactions: MacO512
Since my last reply took a while to compose, I missed a few things so sorry for the double post.

Um, so far there is nothing fancy about the new cells. Yes they are new. But the benefits are mainly in cost savings to Tesla. Yes they may allow cars to charge faster but that is yet to be seen. Yes they are supposed to last longer but that is also yet to be seen. I would rather have a tried and tested 2170 car than a new 4680 one that might have problems down the road costing $$$$ to fix since they are structural. They had a lot more problems trying to make 4680 cells than switching from 18650 to 2170. They might still be having problems with 4680 and that is why we are seeing this new model with less cells and maybe even a different chemistry. Until Tesla confirms what is going on or someone tears down one of these new packs, we won't know. There will be hints along the way for sure. What does the cahrging screen say? Is it the same as the RWD M3 or is it like the LR MY? Still need hands on on one of these cars to know for sure.
I agree but lots of buyers tend to want the latest and greatest Tesla has to offer and paying top dollar prices expect nothing less. The new cells have been so hyped up that people think they have superpowers and will make the car fly.

• Funny
Reactions: Thp3 and Mrbrock
The speculation about Texas plant producing only a new seemingly lower-range MYAWD variant would seem to run counter to the claim that Austin will supply only the right half of the country...

I would speculate the opposite direction that the future MYAWD is the solution to "what do we do with all these 2170 cells now that MYLR runs 4680s?"
I posed this earlier and was met with much backlash about how Tesla uses them in PowerWalls and MegaPacks so any not used for car production would be shifted to the energy sector. They wouldn't release a new model when they have huge waitlists for energy products as well.

Since we are all speculating on what Austin will be building, I will add my 2 cents worth. It appears that the only difference between the MY AWD and the MY LR is the capacity of the battery pack and a different software load. IF that is the case, then my bet is Austin produces both LR and AWD models with the only physical difference being which version of the structural battery pack they install when the car goes down the assembly iine.

Since we are all speculating on what Austin will be building, I will add my 2 cents worth. It appears that the only difference between the MY AWD and the MY LR is the capacity of the battery pack and a different software load. IF that is the case, then my bet is Austin produces both LR and AWD models with the only physical difference being which version of the structural battery pack they install when the car goes down the assembly iine.

They are going to get people to pay for the lower capacity version the same price people were paying for the LR in the summer.

If they can make 15% more cars with the lower AWD version vs the LR I don't see them selling any of the LR version at Austin until they and Panasonic ramp up battery production. The AWD version solves a bunch of problems about transitioning only a single plant to 4680's and having different versions. There will not be different versions produced .

Even after the battery supply ramps up Tesla has Semi and over 1M CT orders which need those 4680's . I'll call it rigjht now, Like the M3, the LR and MYP will stay 2170's for the next few years. they will make the AWD and CT at Austin.

My 2 cents We know at some point Fremont and Austin will be producing the same cars with Fremont covering the west 1/3rd of the country and Austin the rest. If 4680 supply wasn’t an issue, Austin would produce MYP and ship country wide until Fremont switched over. As it stands I don’t think they will make a 4680 MYP at Austin and a 2170 MYP at Fremont. Lastly, if they are going to roll out a new standard range AWD at Austin, it would end up getting shipped out country wide until Fremont has 4680s. This would be another instant backlog. We will find out soon enough…
I will keep my MYP order on hold until after the “opening” of Austin on the 7th.

Last edited:
Reactions: advocate8
Here what I think doesn't add up:
4680 with structural battery pack and front casting is supposed to weight less at the same battery capacity so it is supposed to be more efficient at the same battery capacity. The new AWD from EPA has a lower battery capacity but mostly the same efficiency (MPGe) So it doesn't make sense that this new AWD MY uses 4680 batteries on an efficiency standpoint. If it uses 4680, it means that battery day was a lie... and I don't think it was. The MY with 4680 is probably the other car that was submitted to EPA for which the results aren't out yet.

Edit: MY AWD is probably the LFP version (like the new M3 RWD) so the weight is mostly the same, so mostly the same efficiency but with a smaller battery capacity. No idea if this will be an Austin built car or a Fremont one.

Here what I think doesn't add up:
4680 with structural battery pack and front casting is supposed to weight less at the same battery capacity so it is supposed to be more efficient at the same battery capacity. The new AWD from EPA has a lower battery capacity but mostly the same efficiency (MPGe) So it doesn't make sense that this new AWD MY uses 4680 batteries on an efficiency standpoint. If it uses 4680, it means that battery day was a lie... and I don't think it was. The MY with 4680 is probably the other car that was submitted to EPA for which the results aren't out yet.

Edit: MY AWD is probably the LFP version (like the new M3 RWD) so the weight is mostly the same, so mostly the same efficiency but with a smaller battery capacity. No idea if this will be an Austin built car or a Fremont one.
A few reports are speculating that a new AWD wouldn't use 4680. Like you, they said the numbers don't add up for a 4680, its closer to a 2170