Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y - Gigafactory Texas Production

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Model Y Standard Range Dual Motor at the old LR price. Uses half the batteries because 4680. Picks up an entire audience that was on the side lines before but quit because of the price increases. Picks up the new audience that is shocked by current gas prices. Seems pretty smart to me.

Why put it in the MYP or MYLR when they can't keep up with demand anyhow? People are obviously willing to pay more as is evident in the most recent price increase.

Reactions: dhanson865
Model Y Standard Range Dual Motor at the old LR price. Uses half the batteries because 4680. Picks up an entire audience that was on the side lines before but quit because of the price increases. Picks up the new audience that is shocked by current gas prices. Seems pretty smart to me.

Why put it in the MYP or MYLR when they can't keep up with demand anyhow? People are obviously willing to pay more as is evident in the most recent price increase.
except it apparently weighs the same, so it probably isn’t using half the batteries.

Reactions: MrKashima
He said 4680 model y's implying all model y, 's. Not a new undisclosed model y. His other comments where that all vehicles using the new 4680 battery would built in Austin . But really semantics don't matter, may well be many people ordered model Y performance expecting and like me if 4680 version does not exist will buy the existing model or just buy another brand. We will see. Just wish we could get a little clarify in broad terms.

He said 4680 model y's implying all model y, 's. Not a new undisclosed model y. His other comments where that all vehicles using the new 4680 battery would built in Austin . But really semantics don't matter, may well be many people ordered model Y performance expecting and like me if 4680 version does not exist will buy the existing model or just buy another brand. We will see. Just wish we could get a little clarify in broad terms.
1647474573571.png

Reactions: Trout
You are getting what he said (different than a promise in my book), a 4680 model y. Didn’t say long range or performance or anything relating to range. You can assume what you want but don’t expect Tesla to deliver on assumptions.

Secrecy? It’s called business. The cars arent ready to sell yet. When they are, we will know. If they announced in December that they were releasing a 280 mile MY in March, there would have been outrage. And more outrage if they didn’t meet the timeline. Look at Berlin. They will keep this as close to the vest as possible. When things are finalized, they will let us know. Probably through someone posting an email they received offering it to them instead of a current LR order.
Thanks.. Today I received an invoice on my MYP, I’m in SoCal. Can I share it with you to make sure all looks correct? Bottom figure is $72,442.61 🤔

Thanks.. Today I received an invoice on my MYP, I’m in SoCal. Can I share it with you to make sure all looks correct? Bottom figure is $72,442.61 🤔
Sounds about right take the price you reserved at then add:

$1200 destination and documentation
$750+ for California Registration and License
$5000+ in sales tax based on your regisration address and local taxes.

He said Model Y's from Austin would have 4680.

Every thing else in this thread has been assumptions and pure speculation whether it would just be MYP's or MYLR's or both.

There was no promise. Just a statement that what came out of Austin would have 4680's. No statement of trims/models.

He said Model Y's from Austin would have 4680.

Every thing else in this thread has been assumptions and pure speculation whether it would just be MYP's or MYLR's or both.

There was no promise. Just a statement that what came out of Austin would have 4680's. No statement of trims/models.
Agree there are no promises (even if he had said “I promise!”) but did say Austin would handle eastern US and Fremont west. So there’s a natural inference you’ll be able to get mylr from either (although not necessarily immediately)

Reactions: advocate8
Agree there are no promises (even if he had said “I promise!”) but did say Austin would handle eastern US and Fremont west. So there’s a natural inference you’ll be able to get mylr from either (although not necessarily immediately)

True, but all assumptions still based on current knowledge back in January. Austin can still supply eastern US with this Model Y AWD model and Fremont can do the west. We just don't know when Fremont will start to produce this new Model Y AWD. We know there have been front mega casts being stored there. So we know Fremont eventually will( and since they are storing them there, I imagine soonish).

Heck people were speculating on a LR+ model to be coming out of Austin due to the whole 4680 hype while the P and LR would stick with 2170's. What may turn out to be reality is the opposite. The 4680 will enable the SR+ to be viable and they start with that.

Reactions: advocate8
Quagmire sounds to me as if you are a Tesla employee trying to talk expectations down. Notice you never start conversations only replys . Say you are right I think many here will feel cheated as there is superior tech being offered on a way cheaper model especially with the price increases. So no 4680 pack, so no weight loss, no faster charging , no increased range, no increased performance. There are more offerings that are competitive coming on the market. I only started reading the blogs a few weeks ago and I drew my information from other informed recognized sources and Elon's comments at shareholder meetings. Don't think the company did much to tamp down the anticipation there is much room for disappointment that could do long term damage to the companies reputation. Sad really.

Quagmire sounds to me as if you are a Tesla employee trying to talk expectations down. Notice you never start conversations only replys . Say you are right I think many here will feel cheated as there is superior tech being offered on a way cheaper model especially with the price increases. So no 4680 pack, so no weight loss, no faster charging , no increased range, no increased performance. There are more offerings that are competitive coming on the market. I only started reading the blogs a few weeks ago and I drew my information from other informed recognized sources and Elon's comments at shareholder meetings. Don't think the company did much to tamp down the anticipation there is much room for disappointment that could do long term damage to the companies reputation. Sad really.

Nope not an employee of Tesla.

Your expectations have been built up on hype and speculation taking the two statements Elon made about Austin was it would start with Model Y's equipped 4680's and they would ship for the eastern US. The blogs you probably read took those statements and then the hype from battery day about the 4680 and went speculation crazy from there stating the Y's range could go up by 16%, decrease weight, etc. No facts, no actual leaks, no credible information on how Tesla would handle the transition to 4680.

I guess you can say my levels of expectations can be managed from my experience from following Apple who also has a crazy following( especially during the Jobs era) and had crazy amounts of hype and expectations built up. It's always funny to see people get so mad/disappointed over the crazy rumors being wrong( lets say under the screen Touch ID) yet the actual physical leaks of iPhone parts never supported such rumors. So when the new iPhone gets announced, I am not pissed off from crazy rumors being wrong because I only put credibility to the physical parts leaks.

None of this was stated for the current lineup, much less promised. The only thing a person should be expecting is what the specs where on the day the order was placed, which again was none of this. If those things are important to someone, then they shouldn't place an order until they are published on the spec sheet, not place an order and expect to get continous improvements at a 3, 6, 8-month old price/spec.

I am under the impression that 4680 in this first iteration is not living up to the hype of what was suggested at Battery Day. I think Gen 2 and future versions will get there but to me it seems like 2170 is the superior battery at the moment. If anything 4680 is strictly a cost savings for Tesla but no real benefit to the customer unless they can charge faster which is TBD.
Exactly my point. Nothing proven on the new cells but yet people have been putting their orders on hold since last year just to get the 4680 cells. 🤷‍♂️

Did not Tesla present the game changing benefits of 4680 at battery day. Did Tesla not publish the benefits of using castings and the structural battery pack. These are both ground breaking and it is suggested that there benefits will go to the new AWD one of the cheapest vehicles. Not surprised MYP buyers might get upset. Not totally sure if my figures and happy to be corrected but model y uses about 100lbs of nickel in 2019 that would have cost approx $ 450 the price is about three times that so $1350 per car so why such big price rises.

Reactions: Msicario
Did not Tesla present the game changing benefits of 4680 at battery day. Did Tesla not publish the benefits of using castings and the structural battery pack. These are both ground breaking and it is suggested that there benefits will go to the new AWD one of the cheapest vehicles. Not surprised MYP buyers might get upset. Not totally sure if my figures and happy to be corrected but model y uses about 100lbs of nickel in 2019 that would have cost approx $ 450 the price is about three times that so $1350 per car so why such big price rises.
No they didn’t. They presented the manufacturing and cost benefits of a new battery and megacast to their investors and shareholders to build confidence and inflate the stock price.

The Internet has turned that into superior Model Ys that go 3x as far with perfect body panels, perfect paint, and superior acceleration due to their feather weight.

No one can help you if you buy the hype. And as far as Austin delivering east or west that is pure logistics. And logistics change all the way to the point the truck pulls up. Those cars will go where they are needed, and generate the lowest transportation cost. Basing a purchase off logistics of production facilities especially in todays world is the epitome of a fool’s errand.

Last edited:
What you are referring to is the hype machine. Yes Tesla said 4680 would provide increased energy density in the same physical size. What it did not say was that it would fill the same physical size with these new cells enabling longer range. Just because the 2170 pack at 82kwh could physically hold enough 4680 cells for 94 kWh does not mean Tesla will put 94kwh of 4680 cells in the car. That is hope and hyperbole. People looking for clicks. It would be bad business on Teslas part to fulfill 330 mile orders with 375 mile cars. People who don’t want to spend $60k on a car with 330 miles range but could justify it if it was 375. They use that hype to justify a purchase and now are disappointed their hopes didn’t come true. That’s stupid. Insane. Silly. It’s your money. Infer what you want from what Tesla says with rose colored glasses and think everything is going to come out in the best case scenario. But know this, you will be angry and disappointed time and time again. As quagmire points out, the only things that we know are physical things. When cars are delivered we will be able to figure out what is going on with this new model. We can make educated guesses now but nothing will be known until they are delivered.

On a brighter note but I’m know way known as a fact, I believe the EPA certification is just for range on new models. It has nothing to do with battery chemistry or anything. If Austin is going to produce a LR or P model with 4680 cells that has the same range as the existing models then I don’t think they need to certify again. Notice the new applications don’t mention anything about place of manufacture. The EPA classifies based on drivetrain, model and fuel type. In this case, drove motors (1 or 2), lithium batteries (L) and model (Y). SR RWD is 1LY, AWD, LR AWD and P AWD are ALL classified as 2LY. There is no spot for plant location. I personally think they can build LR AWD at Austin with 4680 without recertifying. Bad news is this means same weight and range as current model.

I think the certification we are actually waiting for is from NHTSA to say the new structural battery works as it should structural and passes crash testing.

Since they have a year's worth of backlog making the existing model Y, there really isn't ANY market reason to offer a cheaper model.

There might be a short term technical or logistical reason to stretch the limited supply of 2170 and 4680 batteries across as many cars as possible. Or it could be that something with the 4680 pack that means a standard-range model is best to start with....

It's weird. But it almost can't be a need to make a new model to drum up more demand.

Since they have a year's worth of backlog making the existing model Y, there really isn't ANY market reason to offer a cheaper model.

There might be a short term technical or logistical reason to stretch the limited supply of 2170 and 4680 batteries across as many cars as possible. Or it could be that something with the 4680 pack that means a standard-range model is best to start with....

It's weird. But it almost can't be a need to make a new model to drum up more demand. It -could- make longer term sense with a maybe 350-mile MYLR and then this 280-mile MYSR+ slotting in below it.

It's weird. But it almost can't be a need to make a new model to drum up more demand.

There is not a year backlog. If you choose a Y with zero options the delivery is estimated for December which is 8-9 months out. Choosing literally any option moves delivery to September and choosing performance moves it to 60 days.