Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y - Gigafactory Texas Production

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Some upcoming dates/events. 3 weeks from today will be giga-fest when a lot more should be revealed about what (and when) will be producved at Austin and maybe even plans for Fremont upgrades. Even earlier is the timeline Elon mentioned at the Jan 26 earnings call when he said he expected the MY deliveries from Austin would begin by the end of this quarter (end of March). If Elon's hopes become a reality, then perhaps next week we might see some MYs shipping out from Austin. The 3rd event will be 1st quarter 2022 earning call which will likely happen in late April, where more info on Tesla plans may be revealed.

Some people seem to think there is some mystery related to the 2/23/22 Tesla submission to the EPA. There is no mystery as that doc is simply a correction to their earlier submission and the doc is available at the EPA web site. (link posted earlier in this thread)

I appears EPA doesn't post the submissions and also their approval letters until 2 to 4 weeks after the submission or approval actually happens. So it's certainly possible Tesla has made an addiitional submission related to MY LR and/or MY P updated specs, but it just hasn't yet been posted on the EPA web site.

Agreed. Hoping the Fremont MYLR production line change-over status is more forthcoming for Q1's earnings report.

Reactions: Tesraki
Oh have we entered the “hold” discussion again? How is it possible EVERY thread devolves into this each end of quarter? 😂😂

And as far as the silliness about Tesla submitting cars just for the LOLs. Seriously. Stop the nonsense. It wastes everyone’s time. #1 teslas problem is being too transparent and people getting mad when plans change. #2 Tesla has never played that game and has no incentive to start now. #3 stop trying to assume Tesla behaves like Apple. They are not the same companies.
Holds again?? Were there whispers of BBB plan? Or maybe a rumored 9360 cell coming from Fremont. lol

Reactions: advocate8
Yes my thoughts exactly.

Although a rare situation, I thought I'd share.

I ordered MYLR Oct 2021, ODD was Apr 2022. Was moving into a new house in Dec 2021, SA told me I can wait until I move in to complete the address portion on the order online. Entered that in Dec 2021 and then current EDD is June 26, 2022.

A friend ordered his the beginning of the same month I did and he currently just received his.

I realize the EDD fluctuate but could it be the miss information of the SA? Who knows but the moral of this is to complete the order asap with all info.
Same here their system makes no sense where people ordering a month ago are getting their vehicle ahead of those ordered back in Oct/Nov

What if… we’re all just getting punked by Tesla. There is no 279 mile AWD model, it’s just a ruse to prevent a rash of EOQ holds. Then the actual specs for the Austin Y get revealed in the “corrected” EPA report submitted Feb 23, which is… another MYLR.

Or maybe this was some big screwup, and Tesla is just ask shocked as we are that their updated model with the fancy new batteries lost 50 miles of range. Imagine the screaming coming from the corner office.

I’m only half joking. I just can’t see them starting to take orders for a 279 mile model with a 6-9 month waiting list for the 330 range model. They are taking orders even today, starting at $64K and promising 330 miles of range. They’re going to what? Deliver these customers a 279 mile version instead, knowing today that these people would never be receiving a 330 range model when they ordered?
You can read the second application for the AWD Model Y. It’s a correction of the first. The numbers are in there. Testing at a different site next only minor changes to test ranges resulting in same final range.

Some upcoming dates/events. 3 weeks from today will be giga-fest when a lot more should be revealed about what (and when) will be producved at Austin and maybe even plans for Fremont upgrades. Even earlier is the timeline Elon mentioned at the Jan 26 earnings call when he said he expected the MY deliveries from Austin would begin by the end of this quarter (end of March). If Elon's hopes become a reality, then perhaps next week we might see some MYs shipping out from Austin. The 3rd event will be 1st quarter 2022 earning call which will likely happen in late April, where more info on Tesla plans may be revealed.

Some people seem to think there is some mystery related to the 2/23/22 Tesla submission to the EPA. There is no mystery as that doc is simply a correction to their earlier submission and the doc is available at the EPA web site. (link posted earlier in this thread)

I appears EPA doesn't post the submissions and also their approval letters until 2 to 4 weeks after the submission or approval actually happens. So it's certainly possible Tesla has made an addiitional submission related to MY LR and/or MY P updated specs, but it just hasn't yet been posted on the EPA web site.
Tesla wouldn’t need to make a submission for MY LR, it already exists. Based on the way EPA does things, if a 4680 LR from Austin has more than 330 miles range, Tesla would have to give it a separate name. They submit a running change just like they did with the AWD. The documents for LR AWD are 330 miles. If they want a 350 mile LR AWD then the fremont version needs to be renamed or a new model added for the longer range version. Same with weight I think. Pretty simple. Based on the EPA filings, you can’t have two models with the same name and different ranges or weights for the same model year. speculation that the Austin LR version would be 350 and Fremont LR 330 are factually wrong based on the EPA process. Unless Tesla wants to build a lighter LR MY 4680 and say it weighs the same as the Fremont version. Depends what legal ramifications might be for this.

The other thing we may be waiting on is crash testing of the new structural pack. You would think it has passed based on how many they are building but maybe they have tentative approval but not final approval. NHTSA onlu has ratings for RWD 5/7 seat and awd 5/7 seat. No differentiation for MYP. You’d think with a whole new frame design they’d need to resubmit.

Reactions: DrGriz and rhk109
Same here their system makes no sense where people ordering a month ago are getting their vehicle ahead of those ordered back in Oct/Nov
I’m most ticked off about new orders getting out ahead of my four month old one because they’ve paid $12000 more for “FSD”….Among other issues, that wasn’t the understanding when I ordered.
I know there’s nothing in my written agreement saying Tesla can’t set new ciriteria for prioritizing….nor would I have paid $12k for something like that. But there’s a definite whiff of BS about the change.

I’m most ticked off about new orders getting out ahead of my four month old one because they’ve paid $12000 more for “FSD”….Among other issues, that wasn’t the understanding when I ordered.
I know there’s nothing in my written agreement saying Tesla can’t set new ciriteria for prioritizing….nor would I have paid $12k for something like that. But there’s a definite whiff of BS about the change.
It’s like the car dealers who are adding $10K or $15K ADM to drive the car off the lot today instead of placing an order to get a car in 6 months. (That’s the story of my existing Ford order, and no way am I paying that ADM. I’ll sit and wait, thank you.) At least the $12K is going directly to Tesla rather than an opportunistic dealer. Those who pay for FSD are paying for future development and making the non-FSD cars cheaper for the rest of us, so more power to them. I’m not paying $12K for beta software either.

While I agree that it sucks that someone after me gets their order sooner because of FSD, it’s not really new. They just never said it. Now, they are saying it to increase FSD sales. What needs to happen is for those that are trying to add it to get their MY sooner, then remove it, get penalized in some way.

While I agree that it sucks that someone after me gets their order sooner because of FSD, it’s not really new. They just never said it. Now, they are saying it to increase FSD sales. What needs to happen is for those that are trying to add it to get their MY sooner, then remove it, get penalized in some way.

I bought a differnet color ( which is now free) and added the tow package and this was all suppose to move me up in line . Here it is 6 months later and I am still 3 months off..

Tesla is fulfilling new orders because they are making more margin on them . They sprinkle in a few of the older orders that have lower margins . Otherwise they would show less quarterly profits. The price increases screwed us.

As far as FSD goes. IMO its a waste of cash. Its never going to make it out of level 2 without hardware changes. In a couple years I'll be able to buy a 3rd party flir system and have it installed on the tesla

I bought a differnet color ( which is now free) and added the tow package and this was all suppose to move me up in line . Here it is 6 months later and I am still 3 months off..

Tesla is fulfilling new orders because they are making more margin on them . They sprinkle in a few of the older orders that have lower margins . Otherwise they would show less quarterly profits. The price increases screwed us.

As far as FSD goes. IMO its a waste of cash. Its never going to make it out of level 2 without hardware changes. In a couple years I'll be able to buy a 3rd party flir system and have it installed on the tesla
Totally agree with you about FSD. I bought into the Tesla FSD fantasy with my first M3SR+ and back then it was *only* $5000 US (6300 Cdn). Other than enjoying autolane change it was a complete waste of money. Worse was trading it in at Tesla or selling it privately no one offered me any FSD value compared to non-FSD used cars on market. I think you are also right about the long term FSD Level 4-5 hardware requirements. V3 hardware won't make it.

Reactions: advocate8 and KJD

Sounds like a similar story to mine - Grey MY LR with standard wheels and tow package. Ordered 10/29 and current EDD is 6/14 - 7/12!!! My wife ordered a blue MY LR with standard wheels and tow package on 10/24 and she's looking at 5/2 - 5/30.
I hate priority queuing... the FSD line cutting is beyond lame. I'll settle down if the stars align and we both get the new 4680 pack and it ends up actually being a big upgrade for some reason. We're in Wisconsin so increased range or cold weather performance really would be significant. The new mystery variant shown in the EPA tests is worrisome. I'm trying to mostly stay out of all the speculation on the internets. Let's hope we get some clarity in a few weeks!!!

I am right there with you. Our config , -Tow, and EDD have been the same. FYI, I heard a new hardware update for FSD is coming soonish. HW4 I think it was. Pretty sure I saw it in Ryan Shaw’s last YouTube. And 💯 agree with you on FSD, and have no plans on getting

I am right there with you. Our config , -Tow, and EDD have been the same. FYI, I heard a new hardware update for FSD is coming soonish. HW4 I think it was. Pretty sure I saw it in Ryan Shaw’s last YouTube. And 💯 agree with you on FSD, and have no plans on getting

HW4 is coming with the cyber truck and my place in line wouldn be until 2024 but I think I may go with F150 if I can get one

It’s like the car dealers who are adding $10K or $15K ADM to drive the car off the lot today instead of placing an order to get a car in 6 months. (That’s the story of my existing Ford order, and no way am I paying that ADM. I’ll sit and wait, thank you.) At least the $12K is going directly to Tesla rather than an opportunistic dealer. Those who pay for FSD are paying for future development and making the non-FSD cars cheaper for the rest of us, so more power to them. I’m not paying $12K for beta software either.

At least in Tesla's case, any extra money from shipping high-option-cars first goes to the carmaker itself rather than some random dealership owner

At least in Tesla's case, any extra money from shipping high-option-cars first goes to the carmaker itself rather than some random dealership owner
The same dealerships that sponsor little league teams, community events and other ways of investing in the local community? Maybe that's just where I've lived. Haven't seen anything similar sponsored by Tesla in my communities.

BTW, I'm not a fan of anyone exploiting the situation, dealerships or otherwise, and I hope others are taking notes of what companies are going for when things revert back to the mean like I am.

Reactions: JDL@h
The same dealerships that sponsor little league teams, community events and other ways of investing in the local community? Maybe that's just where I've lived. Haven't seen anything similar sponsored by Tesla in my communities.
Thats called direct advertising.

You don't think they do that out of the kindness of their harts do you ? They call them sponsors for a reason....

Reactions: Brolan and CyberGus
Thats called direct advertising.

You don't think they do that out of the kindness of their harts do you ? They call them sponsors for a reason....
Of course it's advertising. The actual point still stands.

edit: It's money earned local, reinvested local and staying local. The seeming tone against a local dealership in favor of a far away corporate coffer thats for investor leagers and not coming back is an interesting one.

Last edited: