Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y - Gigafactory Texas Production

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Of course it's advertising. The actual point still stands.

edit: It's money earned local, reinvested local and staying local. The seeming tone against a local dealership in favor of a far away corporate coffer thats for investor leagers and not coming back is an interesting one.

To me, this is like loving increased local taxes because some of it might go to the community.

Dealers are a middle-man. They do not make cars. They do not provide the car warranty. They take cars from the manufacturer add thousands to the price and then do the incredible service of handing them over to the customers. If the car breaks, the manufacturer pays to have it fixed, not the dealer.

Factory direct is more efficient and better in my opinion. Take the thousands you save by eliminating the middle-man, and spend it as you see fit in your local community... Or go to your local Toyota dealer and be delighted to give them the $10k markup they want for a RAV4-Prime (this specific example is exactly why I'm now driving a Tesla)

Last edited:
To me, this is like loving increased local taxes because some of it might go to the community.

Dealers are a middle-man. They do not make cars. They do not provide the car warranty. They take cars from the manufacturer add thousands to the price and then do the incredible service of handing them over to the customers. If the car breaks, the manufacturer pays to have it fixed, not the dealer.

Factory direct is more efficient and better in my opinion. Take the thousands you save by eliminating the middle-man, and spend it as you see fit in your local community... Or go to your local Toyota dealer and be delighted to give them the $10k markup they want for a RAV4-Prime (this specific example is exactly why I'm now driving a Tesla)

Yup. You can sponsor multiple soccer and softball teams from the 10-15k you save on buying a single car from a non markup dealership. Or you can feed 2000-3000 hungry people lunch/dinner for a community event.

Yup. You can sponsor multiple soccer and softball teams from the 10-15k you save on buying a single car from a non markup dealership. Or you can feed 2000-3000 hungry people lunch/dinner for a community event.
Profit margin on new cars is at most 10% at dealerships so I don’t know where the delusional $10K-15K is coming from. Service departments and used car sales are the primary profit generators for dealers not new car sales.

• Disagree
Reactions: KJD and preilly44
Profit margin on new cars is at most 10% at dealerships so I don’t know where the delusional $10K-15K is coming from. Service departments and used car sales are the primary profit generators for dealers not new car sales.
The $10K+ ADM is a new thing introduced because of the limited inventory at dealerships, mostly due to chip shortages and other supply chain issues. If you haven’t been shopping at dealerships lately, you may be unaware. Here is an example from a local dealership. The ADM is the “Market Adjustment”.

DCC41942-4FAC-4456-9F57-F281AC1ECFBC.jpeg

That was certainly the case years ago but not as of late. Dealers are making record profits from very limited inventory.

Yes, those Dealer Markups aren't really new, but in this environment they are way bigger than they ever have been. Here's $40000 for a RAV4:

Ouch! $40K! The last time I shopped for a new car, pre-pandemic, the MSRP was the upper bound and the goal was to negotiate 10% below MSRP. I was shocked when I started shopping again this year. $10K was typical of what I saw at our local Ford dealer, with $15K or more for in demand cars like the Mach-E. Or you could order, wait 6+ months, and then hope they didn’t decide to tack on ADM to your car anyway when it arrives. At least with Tesla, the ridiculous price is set by the manufacturer at the time of order, plus the $12K donation to Tesla if you want their FSD software.

The market adjustment tack-on is discretionary (which is why I said take note earlier), and per articles I've seen several manufacturers are supposedly threatening to reduce vehicle allocations for those that are doing it. Again, find it interesting that folks are happily paying a 30% margin as long as it goes to the mothership with zero local investment opportunity, and think they are saving thousands, yet a 10% (no idea if the number used above is accurate) margin locally (not talking about ADM gougers) is the devil and an unforgivable rip-off. 🤷‍♂️.

Anyway... back to the AWD mystery model and getting worked up about getting a LR or P car which is spec'd better than it was when we ordered!! Is the general thought now all the cars parked outside people thought were LRs are stockpiled AWDs?

I had a 13K markup on the Rav4 I tried to buy in October , They told me that it was mandated by toyota . They broke it down into a $9,995 Market Adjustment and a $2,995 Addendum.

A 40K car moved to 53k and they wanted a10% non-refundable deposit for a car they would order and have in 4 months.

I told them I just need to make a call. I called another dealer (not local) and asked if toyota was mandateing these two fees. They told me there were no mandates from toyota but that they (the dealer) do add a markup due to market conditions. The local dealer comes back in the room I ask him If I can get that $25 Target gift card they were giving out for coming down today. He gets it for me and I told him I won't buy another car from the dealership. I didn't care too much about the markup ( I would never pay it) it was the bullshit story they told about it.

I had already ordered my Tesla, I was looking to swap out my highlander .

Sounds like a similar story to mine - Grey MY LR with standard wheels and tow package. Ordered 10/29 and current EDD is 6/14 - 7/12!!! My wife ordered a blue MY LR with standard wheels and tow package on 10/24 and she's looking at 5/2 - 5/30.
I hate priority queuing... the FSD line cutting is beyond lame. I'll settle down if the stars align and we both get the new 4680 pack and it ends up actually being a big upgrade for some reason. We're in Wisconsin so increased range or cold weather performance really would be significant. The new mystery variant shown in the EPA tests is worrisome. I'm trying to mostly stay out of all the speculation on the internets. Let's hope we get some clarity in a few weeks!!!
You may actually want the 280 mile AWD if it is LFP 4680. LFP is not affected in cold weather like NCA. It would be better for you than longer range that is crippled in cold weather. And you can charge to 100% all the time and have more usable range.

The market adjustment tack-on is discretionary (which is why I said take note earlier), and per articles I've seen several manufacturers are supposedly threatening to reduce vehicle allocations for those that are doing it. Again, find it interesting that folks are happily paying a 30% margin as long as it goes to the mothership with zero local investment opportunity, and think they are saving thousands, yet a 10% (no idea if the number used above is accurate) margin locally (not talking about ADM gougers) is the devil and an unforgivable rip-off. 🤷‍♂️.

Anyway... back to the AWD mystery model and getting worked up about getting a LR or P car which is spec'd better than it was when we ordered!! Is the general thought now all the cars parked outside people thought were LRs are stockpiled AWDs?
Even at 30% they are saving thousands. If any other legacy manufacturer was able to,produce a car as good as the MY it would cost $70k+. And would be subject to cash grabbing ”discretionary” markups. “Discretionary” meaning how much can we add and people will still buy one? Look at what’s happening with RAV 4 prime and lightning. Solid vehicles but underpriced and instead of FORD and Toyota making that money and being able to invest in more EVs, dealers are making it and maybe sponsoring a couple teams for $2k and pocketing the other $30k to pay for their mansions and massive car collections. Oh, and sponsoring teams is not only free advertising, it’s a tax write off which allows them to keep more of their money. And the 10% number you quote for markups is way under. The Bronco pictured above is $10k on $50k. That’s 20%. The $40k on a RAV 4 is 80%.

You may actually want the 280 mile AWD if it is LFP 4680. LFP is not affected in cold weather like NCA. It would be better for you than longer range that is crippled in cold weather. And you can charge to 100% all the time and have more usable range.

Even at 30% they are saving thousands. If any other legacy manufacturer was able to,produce a car as good as the MY it would cost $70k+. And would be subject to cash grabbing ”discretionary” markups. “Discretionary” meaning how much can we add and people will still buy one? Look at what’s happening with RAV 4 prime and lightning. Solid vehicles but underpriced and instead of FORD and Toyota making that money and being able to invest in more EVs, dealers are making it and maybe sponsoring a couple teams for $2k and pocketing the other $30k to pay for their mansions and massive car collections. Oh, and sponsoring teams is not only free advertising, it’s a tax write off which allows them to keep more of their money. And the 10% number you quote for markups is way under. The Bronco pictured above is $10k on $50k. That’s 20%. The $40k on a RAV 4 is 80%.
For all those waiting on the new 280 mile range AWD LFP 4680 battery model; Where do I sign up to get one ? No where to be found on the Tesla website 😲🤷🏻‍♂️

• Funny
Reactions: KJD and house9
For all those waiting on the new 280 mile range AWD LFP 4680 battery model; Where do I sign up to get one ? No where to be found on the Tesla website 😲🤷🏻‍♂️

Doesn't exist as a product-for-sale yet. Simply a listing spotted at the EPA and in the code.

Somewhat likely that Elon may announce whatever changes that are coming in his April Texas-factory event a few weeks from now.

Nothing you can order today.

Doesn't exist as a product-for-sale yet. Simply a listing spotted at the EPA and in the code.

Somewhat likely that Elon may announce whatever changes that are coming in his April Texas-factory event a few weeks from now.

Nothing you can order today.
The AWD battery is still speculation, right? Haven't kept up on the rumINT.

The AWD battery is still speculation, right? Haven't kept up on the rumINT.

There's a new MYAWD which has been tested and given a (lower) range by the EPA, so -something- exists at least as a single example. However we don't know what kind of pack went into the thing, nor when or how Tesla might bring it to market. Since it's the EPA, we assume the US market. Folks peering at the Model Y software have spotted a "Standard Range Plus" thing which could be it. EPA weight seems to suggest it's not lighter, which argues against it being 4680. So... a new 2170 or prismatic LFP pack? We dunno. My guess is Elon will announce it at the April 9 Texas event.

Stepping back to a longer view - if the MYLR eventually goes 4680 and attains maybe ~350 mile range, there's a nice slot underneath it for a MYSR+ at ~280 miles. I would guess that's where they are headed, but it may be chaos as they make the transition.

I'll add one more thought. If the MYSR+ does come into existence as a "base" Model Y in the US and uses LFP or similar chemistry... that's kinda a cool item. LFP doesn't mind being charged to 100%, ridden hard, put away wet. A 280 "use it from 100% to 0% every day" pack is functionally a strong rival to a 330-mile NMC pack that you try to manage between 10% and 90%, except for rare long trips. Just sayin.

Last edited:
There's a new MYAWD which has been tested and given a (lower) range by the EPA, so -something- exists at least as a single example. However we don't know what kind of pack went into the thing, nor when or how Tesla might bring it to market. Since it's the EPA, we assume the US market. Folks peering at the Model Y software have spotted a "Standard Range Plus" thing which could be it. EPA weight seems to suggest it's not lighter, which argues against it being 4680. So... a new 2170 or prismatic LFP pack? We dunno. My guess is Elon will announce it at the April 9 Texas event.

Stepping back to a longer view - if the MYLR eventually goes 4680 and attains maybe ~350 mile range, there's a nice slot underneath it for a MYSR+ at ~280 miles. I would guess that's where they are headed, but it may be chaos as they make the transition.

I'll add one more thought. If the MYSR+ does come into existence as a "base" Model Y in the US and uses LFP or similar chemistry... that's kinda a cool item. LFP doesn't mind being charged to 100%, ridden hard, put away wet. A 280 "use it from 100% to 0% every day" pack is functionally a strong rival to a 330-mile NMC pack that you try to manage between 10% and 90%, except for rare long trips. Just sayin.
Sounds like the same status as the last time I checked in, thx.

If a 280-mile LFP Iis functionally/practically close to the 330-mile NMC, what would be the value prop for one or the other, except environment it'll be used in (cold favors LFP)?

The $10K+ ADM is a new thing introduced because of the limited inventory at dealerships, mostly due to chip shortages and other supply chain issues. If you haven’t been shopping at dealerships lately, you may be unaware. Here is an example from a local dealership. The ADM is the “Market Adjustment”.

View attachment 782978
You can find dealers that are not adding the additional Markup. My local Toyota dealer is not marking up vehicles. On the other hand it is demand and low inventory. If people are willing to pay it why blame the dealer. There are plenty of people ordering Teslas and then immediately marking them up and selling them.