Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y - Gigafactory Texas Production

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My take is: the 4680 will be in Model Y's AFTER their production is ramped up enough to have satisfied the Semi at their full production levels. So this will take possibly a year out. Rationale is that for the mission (and profits) using 4680's in the semi is highest priority.

It is even possible the 4680's get rolled out for the CT even before M3SXYs
That premise then begs the question - what is now being produced in Austin? Which Elon has stated is based on 4680's.
We cannot know until Tesla announces, or customers take deliveries of 'A' VINs.

For the 2021 MYs, Tesla increased the battery pack capacity and starting using the rear megacasting for the chassis during the model run and did not get recertified by EPA. So perhaps the existing EPA certification for the 2022 MY- LR and MY-P are all that is needed as long as the revised version equals or exceeds the specs. for the already certified 2022 versions.

It’s not a Model Y AWD SR. There’s no SR in the name so it doesn’t go against the “all SR cars will be LFP” statement. There has never been an AWD SR car. If anything it will be AWD MR. Using SR for AWD would be very confusing with their current naming. If anything, it will be exactly as submitted to EPA, MY AWD. And if they ever do the former MY SR again it will be MY RWD. Then there will be LR AWD and Performance AWD.
Interesting thought on the MR. That leads me to think that perhaps a software update is in the works to unlock additional capacity from the 82 kWr battery since currently they are locked to 78. If they were to unlock more then you see a larger difference between the LR and MR capacity.

My take is: the 4680 will be in Model Y's AFTER their production is ramped up enough to have satisfied the Semi at their full production levels. So this will take possibly a year out. Rationale is that for the mission (and profits) using 4680's in the semi is highest priority.

It is even possible the 4680's get rolled out for the CT even before M3SXYs
I feel like they'd put more of an effort into the semi if they thought it was really the key to profitability. Instead it seems to be a low margin product with relatively low priority and low volumes for at least the next couple of years. I mean, there can't be a huge amount of gross profit in a huge vehicle with massive batteries at only ~2x the cost of a S LR.

Fox News says that Hertz model y will have a 330 mile range…that range does not exist on Tesla website.
06B6BBF5-D007-4398-B716-F734BE04AE82.jpeg

Last edited:
Well, apparently the undersurface looks different according to the revised Tesla manual. Next time someone in Austin sees one, they should take a picture of the undersurface.
What's 'undersurface'?

The new MY v2.0 chassis uses a structural battery pack with front + rear megacasts.
The bare chassis has no floorpan. The pack becomes the floorpan. We've seen bare chassis, w/o floorpans, outside the building.
Supposedly all the chassis to be built at Austin are the new v2.0 version.

The jacking points under the car may have changed, but it's very minor. Could be a general change, could be the structural pack, could be a new battery.....all guessing.

Speculation until Tesla reveals anything.

Fox News says that Hertz model y will have a 330 mile range…that range does not exist on Tesla website.
Huh?
EPA rating for the MYLR with Gemini wheels is......wait for it......330 miles.
At least, that what it shows on the Tesla website I can find with a web browser.

Of course, the Tesla website also defaults to 20" wheels for the MYLR, with lower range but subsequent earlier estimated delivery.
You have to select the 19" Gemini wheel option to see 330 miles range estimate. And 2023 delivery....

What's 'undersurface'?

The new MY v2.0 chassis uses a structural battery pack with front + rear megacasts.
The bare chassis has no floorpan. The pack becomes the floorpan. We've seen bare chassis, w/o floorpans, outside the building.
Supposedly all the chassis to be built at Austin are the new v2.0 version.

The jacking points under the car may have changed, but it's very minor. Could be a general change, could be the structural pack, could be a new battery.....all guessing.

Speculation until Tesla reveals anything.
Undersurface of the car. If you look underneath, as you pointed out, the holes for the jack placement are different.