Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y - Gigafactory Texas Production

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The X is more of a luxury car than the Y and has a slightly more usable third row. It is a car that is geared towards the very well off who want the "best" car that Tesla builds. I doubt most of those customers honestly care particular much about the 0-60 times.
I understand all that. just rationally it is not $70,000 better than the Y. Not even close. But rationality isn’t, of course, high on the list of reasons for buying $120,000-$145,000 cars.

The X is more of a luxury car than the Y and has a slightly more usable third row. It is a car that is geared towards the very well off who want the "best" car that Tesla builds. I doubt most of those customers honestly care particular much about the 0-60 times.
"More of" isn't saying much. The only truly luxury features of the Model X is the rear screen, the X-wing doors and the suspension .

IMO if you don't even offer leather seats you don't have a luxury car..

We all have our wish lists for the small improvements from Fremont / Austin MYLR. First on my list would be the better headlights they’re using on the MYP, then the updated trim to inside front doors.... I guess the rear glass upgrade.
Want stuff that’s not been serious discussed more, namely heads-up display and 360-degree view. Just for the life of me cant figure out why they haven’t stuck a couple coders on the 360-view and rolled that into a software update.
I agree. Adaptive suspension is on my wishlist. Seems like at this price range, a nicer suspension should be included and seems to be a consideration within the software.

Reactions: Dayreg
I agree. Adaptive suspension is on my wishlist. Seems like at this price range, a nicer suspension should be included and seems to be a consideration within the software.
$20k battery so really it’s
"More of" isn't saying much. The only truly luxury features of the Model X is the rear screen, the X-wing doors and the suspension .

IMO if you don't even offer leather seats you don't have a luxury car..

The materials and build quality are better. Seats, panels, insulation, rear doors. I agree it’s not worth it’s price but it’s definitely more luxurious than a y by quite a bit. The y build quality is pretty low.

New door panels? What is this?
It has an extension of the dash wood trim. They have been doing this in China for a while. The picture below is from the M3 configurator.

1649122152576.png

Please name another $65,000 300+ mile range EV crossover with adaptive suspension. Mustang with magnetic ride is 260 miles and $68k MSRP.

You can't control springs and shocks with software unless they are specific electric/magnetic shocks and able to be controlled. The standard Tesla ones are not. And I think people put way too much stock into the price and that it should come with X,Y,and Z features because ICE vehicles at that price point do. Forget it. If it was so easy to go from ICE to EV, why are manufacturers struggling so much to prodiuce EVs at similar price points? Look at the original e-Tron. It was way more than a comparable Q5. Face it, they are going to cost more so to keep prices competitive, they drop some features. $63,000 is a lot, but it is an entry level crossover EV for Tesla. They are Premium in terms of EV tech but they are not Premium in terms of interior, comfort features and fit and finish. You want that from Tesla, pay double for the S/X.

It has an extension of the dash wood trim. They have been doing this in China for a while. The picture below is from the M3 configurator.

View attachment 790154

Please name another $65,000 300+ mile range EV crossover with adaptive suspension. Mustang with magnetic ride is 260 miles and $68k MSRP.

You can't control springs and shocks with software unless they are specific electric/magnetic shocks and able to be controlled. The standard Tesla ones are not. And I think people put way too much stock into the price and that it should come with X,Y,and Z features because ICE vehicles at that price point do. Forget it. If it was so easy to go from ICE to EV, why are manufacturers struggling so much to prodiuce EVs at similar price points? Look at the original e-Tron. It was way more than a comparable Q5. Face it, they are going to cost more so to keep prices competitive, they drop some features. $63,000 is a lot, but it is an entry level crossover EV for Tesla. They are Premium in terms of EV tech but they are not Premium in terms of interior, comfort features and fit and finish. You want that from Tesla, pay double for the S/X.
Entry level was $53k so for $10k more there needs to be some additional features.

Reactions: Gt1948

View attachment 790154

You're absolutely right. My mindset is coming from a luxury ICE vehicle that is less than $50k that comes standard with ventilated seats, HUD, adaptive suspension, tow (in our SUV)among other features. So if I am making the decision to switch to EV, then why can't I be wishful that some of those features be included in a 65k vehicle that may have some cost savings/offsets in parts that ICE cars typically need. EVs are the future and I get that, but we should all hope as consumers, realistic or not, that a baseline of standard features were set with ICE cars. I mention the software bc it was mentioned that the feature was found in the code of Model Y but has not been activated (assuming they would one day include it like model x). I don't know what the profit margins are for each Y and what the manufacturer cost of a better suspension is for Tesla, but like I said, it is MY wishful thinking/ wishlist and my opinion. It doesn't change the order I placed. No need to be snappy about it. We're all team Tesla here.

You're absolutely right. My mindset is coming from a luxury ICE vehicle that is less than $50k that comes standard with ventilated seats, HUD, adaptive suspension, tow (in our SUV)among other features. So if I am making the decision to switch to EV, then why can't I be wishful that some of those features be included in a 65k vehicle that may have some cost savings/offsets in parts that ICE cars typically need. EVs are the future and I get that, but we should all hope as consumers, realistic or not, that a baseline of standard features were set with ICE cars. I mention the software bc it was mentioned that the feature was found in the code of Model Y but has not been activated (assuming they would one day include it like model x). I don't know what the profit margins are for each Y and what the manufacturer cost of a better suspension is for Tesla, but like I said, it is MY wishful thinking/ wishlist and my opinion. It doesn't change the order I placed. No need to be snappy about it. We're all team Tesla here.
I can’t recall a luxury SUV that is less than 50k, maybe a base model suv but that’s not luxury Or maybe a car but that’s not a SUV Comparison. For real though, the Volvo XC90 SUV that is 70k is luxury and yeah i can argue that with you that it had ventilated seats and adaptive air suspension and was amazing but unfortunately we are paying for the electric car prices, but i dont think that the model x price is worth it either.

Reactions: advocate8
Entry level was $53k so for $10k more there needs to be some additional features.
Do you understand supply/demand? Do you understand supply chain constraints? Have you tried to buy a regular car for MSRP? Have fun with dealer markups. Have you seen gas prices? Tesla is playing smart economics. They don't owe anyone to make less money on cars or to add features for increasing prices. You want more for your money, convince 200,000+ people to not buy a MY so prices won't continue to rise.

Like Farlasher, please use specific examples when you are comparing. A $40,000 Q3 is not a luxury SUV, not even a luxury CUV. For example, ventilated seats in an XC90 are only available with the $14,000 inscription package. Yes, $14,000. So your base RWD $52k XC90 becomes a $66k car. HUD is $1600. Heated rear seats and steering wheel are $750. Let's keep checking off boxes. And we aren't even in the EV realm. $68,900 for all the features you want.

Now lets talk XC90 PHEV. $1800 for the extended range option, 7.2 kwh additional battery capacity. For the 82kwh battery in the LR MY, thats $20,500. Back to PHEV, $70,000 for all the features and a 35 miles range. You want Tesla to provide 300+ mile range and all those features for $7000-$17,000 LESS?

XC40 Recharge Twin Pure Elctric is $60k, no HUD, no vented seats, no adjustable suspension.

You can get all the features you want in a Q4 e-Tron at about $60,000, but they aren't available and are subject to the dealer setting final pricing so expect it to be a lot higher. Model Y is bigger and has more room. MY is more efficient so costs less to run. These are real world efficiencies. Tesla Model Y vs Audi Q4 e-tron: 2021 group test review | Auto Express

I can’t recall a luxury SUV that is less than 50k, maybe a base model suv but that’s not luxury Or maybe a car but that’s not a SUV Comparison. For real though, the Volvo XC90 SUV that is 70k is luxury and yeah i can argue that with you that it had ventilated seats and adaptive air suspension and was amazing but unfortunately we are paying for the electric car prices, but i dont think that the model x price is worth it either.
Yes totally agree with you. Just because price points are the same doesn't mean you can compare ICE with EV. There is a $10-20k adjustment factor to add to ICE vehicles.

What ICE car under $50k comes with those now? That was before the parts shortage bro. Have you recently checked the market? BMW and Mercedes are saving high end features just for their most expensive models. I am geniunly interested if you can send us a link to a luxury ICE under $50k configurated with these features.

• Love
Reactions: preilly44
Do you understand supply/demand? Do you understand supply chain constraints? Have you tried to buy a regular car for MSRP? Have fun with dealer markups. Have you seen gas prices? Tesla is playing smart economics. They don't owe anyone to make less money on cars or to add features for increasing prices. You want more for your money, convince 200,000+ people to not buy a MY so prices won't continue to rise.

Like Farlasher, please use specific examples when you are comparing. A $40,000 Q3 is not a luxury SUV, not even a luxury CUV. For example, ventilated seats in an XC90 are only available with the $14,000 inscription package. Yes, $14,000. So your base RWD $52k XC90 becomes a $66k car. HUD is $1600. Heated rear seats and steering wheel are $750. Let's keep checking off boxes. And we aren't even in the EV realm. $68,900 for all the features you want.

Now lets talk XC90 PHEV. $1800 for the extended range option, 7.2 kwh additional battery capacity. For the 82kwh battery in the LR MY, thats $20,500. Back to PHEV, $70,000 for all the features and a 35 miles range. You want Tesla to provide 300+ mile range and all those features for $7000-$17,000 LESS?

XC40 Recharge Twin Pure Elctric is $60k, no HUD, no vented seats, no adjustable suspension.

You can get all the features you want in a Q4 e-Tron at about $60,000, but they aren't available and are subject to the dealer setting final pricing so expect it to be a lot higher. Model Y is bigger and has more room. MY is more efficient so costs less to run. These are real world efficiencies. Tesla Model Y vs Audi Q4 e-tron: 2021 group test review | Auto Express

Yes totally agree with you. Just because price points are the same doesn't mean you can compare ICE with EV. There is a $10-20k adjustment factor to add to ICE vehicles.
All true. And honestly ... the short list of additional stuff I’d like, if it were done a la other carmakers, would inevitably come with a bunch of other crap I don’t really want or need but would be charged $3,000 for.
That doesn’t include the 360-degree view which is just a software change and should be doable easily.

Reactions: DrGriz
Wow great, insightful content on this forum discussing Model Y Delivery from Texas...not.
Just wait until we get no solid info out of the Barbecue Party Thursday. We’ll be down to debating the merits of Chrysler adding more cupholders to Pacifica PHEV minivans...

This thread started with dreams, excitement and eyes pointed hopefully at the horizon... and now? Volvo XC90s.
They drive great for comfiness etc... but using them as some sort of example of cost/benefit doesn’t work very well because you can’t buy just one, you need to buy three to be assured of enough spare parts too keep one running.
And I do still lust after x3m, but after that stubby little warranty is done, it is, too. And meanwhile for either you’ve been buying a huge amount of expensive petrol and turning it into greenhouse gas.

Last edited:
So another 4680 Austin production thought, we have been discussing possible cooling issues with the 4680 cells, but what about heating? What happens when the battery is cold soaked and needs to come to temp? How long will you be with reduced regen? How much range hit with the cold? Seems like everything will be worse if there is an issue with cooling.

Reactions: advocate8