Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y - Gigafactory Texas Production

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
All true. And honestly ... the short list of additional stuff I’d like, if it were done a la other carmakers, would inevitably come with a bunch of other crap I don’t really want or need but would be charged $3,000 for.
That doesn’t include the 360-degree view which is just a software change and should be doable easily.
So 360 view actually isn’t as easy as everyone thinks. I think the issue is Tesla’s do have a blind spot. So making it difficult to do a true 360/ top down view.

So another 4680 Austin production thought, we have been discussing possible cooling issues with the 4680 cells, but what about heating? What happens when the battery is cold soaked and needs to come to temp? How long will you be with reduced regen? How much range hit with the cold? Seems like everything will be worse if there is an issue with cooling.

Thats why they should only send them to FLorida ! :)

• Funny
Reactions: advocate8
so, one more $40 camera? or is the blind spot something would it take more hardware than that?
Well thats the problem. They don't want to initialize a 360 View and have a gap . That would show that the car can't see everything and it would be ammo for other manufacturers to use against them in ads. It really isn't a good look for tesla with all those cameras they can't do it . If they could it would have already been done.

When I get my car I am going to get a snapshot from each camera and manually out them together using an overhead shot from a drone and see exactly what it can and can't see.

Last edited:
I can’t recall a luxury SUV that is less than 50k, maybe a base model suv but that’s not luxury Or maybe a car but that’s not a SUV Comparison. For real though, the Volvo XC90 SUV that is 70k is luxury and yeah i can argue that with you that it had ventilated seats and adaptive air suspension and was amazing but unfortunately we are paying for the electric car prices, but i dont think that the model x price is worth it either.
Do you care about money if you can afford Tesla? lol:p😂😅🤣

Here is some speculation on my part that will perhaps start some discussion.

Yesterday's drone video from FREMONT (link below) at around 4:18 notes that "Tesla in a very different mode today. I can hear it, very quiet today". Then starting perhaps 10 seconds later the comment is "Is this even Tesla" ........"Maintenance Mode?".

Perhaps Fremont is now starting the MY production line upgrade for the Ver. 2.0 chassis/structural battery pack/etc. to align Fremont built MYs with Austin built MYs.

Yesterday's drone video from FREMONT (link below) at around 4:18 notes that "Tesla in a very different mode today. I can hear it, very quiet today". Then starting perhaps 10 seconds later the comment is "Is this even Tesla" ........"Maintenance Mode?".

Perhaps Fremont is now starting the MY production line upgrade for the Ver. 2.0 chassis/structural battery pack/etc. to align Fremont built MYs with Austin built MYs.

There was a mystery "insider" a few pages back that said Fremont would start retooling right around this time too 🤔

Last edited:

It's been crickets on new VINS although it was like that in January as well but I figured Omicron and holidays played a role in that.

My SA made mention back in March “if my car did not come in in March then it would not arrive until after mid April.”

Did not think much about that at the time.
SA’s aren’t given info like “we’ll be shutting down a couple weeks to retool for a new version.” Because there are hundreds and each would tell two friends and within hours it would be out on reddit and twitter....
Mine told me last week not to expect a lot of deliveries in April .... but that’s because its always quiet the first month of the quarter.

So Elon said this year will be limited by chips, not batteries. If China is having Covid shutdowns, would be easy to fly a unused box of chips to Austin, Berlin, Fremont to keep overall production up?
He is not limited by batteries, there are plenty of 2170s and 18650s to go around. I would be shocked if they are switching over. Where are all of the 4680’s coming from?

It's my understanding that new MYs from gigaberlin are using structural battery packs with 2170 cells. Perhaps both types of structural battery packs will be used for USA production until gigatexas 4680 cell production comes online and ramps up to meet the battery demand.

It's my understanding that new MYs from gigaberlin are using structural battery packs with 2170 cells. Perhaps both types of structural battery packs will be used for USA production until gigatexas 4680 cell production comes online and ramps up to meet the battery demand.
If this structural battery pack +2170 happens, that should reduce the weight of the car and as a result, increase the range in theory, right?

If this structural battery pack +2170 happens, that should reduce the weight of the car and as a result, increase the range in theory, right?

The whole point of the 4680 structural pack was to literally use the walls of the cells as load bearing members. 2170's are not well shaped or designed to do that, so a 2170 "structural" pack might fit in the right spot, but would likely have to either have additional bracing or be surrounded by a frame which gives up a lot of the weight savings.