Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y - Gigafactory Texas Production

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I agree, this speculation is getting tiring.

Based on how fast Tesla was able to ramp the Shanghai plant Austin should be cranking out 10K cars per month in less than 90 days. At that point we will know more about what is going on.
Yes, too many people here want to change the narrative to fit their agenda. The only thing we can take from yesterday is 1) Elon said Y deliveries from Austin will start immediately and 2) the only Ys that anyone can order right now are the LR and P. Visa vie, until something changes, the only assumption that can be made is that LR and Ps will be coming from Austin sooner rather than later.

If we don't see Austin VINs popping over the next few days, then yes, that allows for a whole layer of additional speculation.

Yes, too many people here want to change the narrative to fit their agenda. The only thing we can take from yesterday is 1) Elon said Y deliveries from Austin will start immediately and 2) the only Ys that anyone can order right now are the LR and P. Visa vie, until something changes, the only assumption that can be made is that LR and Ps will be coming from Austin sooner rather than later.

If we don't see Austin VINs popping over the next few days, then yes, that allows for a whole layer of additional speculation.

Stamp for approval.

Reactions: carpendj
I don't know why this rumor won't die. Musk has stated that there is no contract with Hertz to deliver Model Y. If Hertz is adding Model Y to their fleet they would be placing orders like any other customer, not getting a special Austin production vehicle that they did special contracts with Tesla to obtain.
Are you are basing that on stories from November last year? So forever more there will be no Hertz contract?

Hertz is adding a Tesla Model Y to its fleet this spring that doesn't even exist. Yet.

The rental car agency announced last week that Model Ys will soon be joining the Model 3s that are already at several locations as part of its planned purchase of 100,000 Teslas this year.

Model Y was added to Hertz's fleet this week, news website Electrek reported on Wednesday.

Reactions: SWIPE

Though it states 330 mile range.
Yes, Hertz says they are adding Model Y.

That doesn't mean they are getting them through some off-menu order they did with Tesla, Musk says they have no special contract with Hertz.

Lots of assumptions in here that no effort has been made by me. I have to respond.

Scheduled a test drive in Sept 21. Met a good SA and kept in contact with him during September. Ordered a MYLR on October 1st and worked with him when I ordered it to make sure my profile was all set. He even did the right thing in recommending that I select the Cash option because delivery was 6+ months away. Had no need to contact him until early Feb. (At the time my EDD was Feb 15th 2022). Reached out to him and he responded and said that he no longer worked for Tesla. He responded even though he did not need to. He recommended I call the Austin office. This is where the poor service begins.

Tried to contact someone and found myself transferred to some centralized service. Person was put out that I was even bothering him and was in a bad mood. I gave up with that person. Tried another day and got a different person. I told them that I was looking for another SA so that I could develop a relationship with them. This person was also not helpful.

I received a text in early Feb from a Fremont number asking about my trade in. I do not have a Trade in so I had no idea why I was being asked this and I had done everything I could with my profile. I responded to the text per the request and figured it was all done.
Then a few weeks later I get a call from Tesla at Fremont asking the same Trade in question that I had already responded to. Clearly the Text process did not work. I told this person that my SA no longer worked for Tesla and asked if he could have someone else contact me. He said he would. Nothing was done.

I then tried again to find an SA by using the chat option on the Tesla web site. That person was very helpful and said that they would contact the Austin location and ask them to contact me. She also provided their email address and recommended that I send them an email, which I did.

Many weeks have passed and not a single response to the email.

I have responded to the text chat that started when I scheduled the test drive and ordered the vehicle. Nobody ever responds.

This is my first Tesla and thus far, I am not impressed by the purchase experience.

I have owned many brands and purchased many cars. I have experienced it all buying from dealers. The good and the bad.

I will save my final judgement for the Tesla buying experience until I have taken delivery.

The communication so far has been awful and they give me zero confidence that when I do finally take delivery, its going to be an easy process.

I really think that this is where Tesla is failing and I think it will come back to bite them unless things improve.
As other OEMs start pushing out their own good EVs, people might think twice about a Tesla due to the service they get when ordering a vehicle.

I want Tesla to succeed and I wish we had Tesla employees on this forum who could share why its so bad for so many of us.
This could be a one off, I don't think anyone else has this kind of experience with Tesla. I never even ordered through an SA, yet any question I have had, has been answered. I've also been contacted by a text and SA by email after my order was placed ONLINE.

Reactions: WhiteWi
This could be a one off, I don't think anyone else has this kind of experience with Tesla. I never even ordered through an SA, yet any question I have had, has been answered. I've also been contacted by a text and SA by email after my order was placed ONLINE.

No one else?

Come on now.

These forums are full of similar stories.

For the order I placed currently the SA is reasonably responsive, but I'm still 3+ weeks in waiting for them to fix that the order I placed wasn't associated with my Tesla account and somehow got associated with the email that is tied to Apple Pay which I used to make the deposit. This has included things like emailing them copies of my DL, etc.

I have bought most major auto brands from a variety of dealers over the past 25+ years of car ownership (total of probably 15 or more vehicles in that time) and local customer service oriented dealerships for high end brands kick Tesla's ass on this stuff.

Good thing that Tesla builds a product that sells itself.

Undoubtedly not a one-off. I had terrible communication with no replies to questions. Thankfully, my delivery was quick, but miscommunication also cost me $1000 in price increases during the process., and no responses to that (even from the SA I spoke with on the phone who said “I’m usually pretty good at following up” as if it’s common knowledge about the lack of communication) so I let it go.

But, the MYLR is awesome and I couldn’t be happier with it. About to do the first long road trip.

If a company agrees to buy 100,000 previously unavailable vehicle model from one manufacturer it's a special contract. You need to update your Musk quotes to present time.
Musk specifically tweeted at the end of the year that there was no signed contract. Sure things could have changed but he has never walked back that statement or said anything further about it.

Everything is speculation.

If Hertz is going to be taking delivery of thousands of 280 range Model Ys per week that info will become public very very quickly.

He did not say Fremont deliveries would stop. So you still have no real idea what you will be getting, that is what I find frustrating and unprofessional.

I'm not trying to make a point other than trying to connect the dots. Hertz currently rents the Standard Model Y. Am I wrong to assume they have been made at the Fremont factory? If so, would there be a reason to move manufacturing of a specific model from one facility to another?
I do believe that GigaTexas facility is very flexible and could change trims or battery configuration at a drop of a hat.

Lots of assumptions in here that no effort has been made by me. I have to respond.

Scheduled a test drive in Sept 21. Met a good SA and kept in contact with him during September. Ordered a MYLR on October 1st and worked with him when I ordered it to make sure my profile was all set. He even did the right thing in recommending that I select the Cash option because delivery was 6+ months away. Had no need to contact him until early Feb. (At the time my EDD was Feb 15th 2022). Reached out to him and he responded and said that he no longer worked for Tesla. He responded even though he did not need to. He recommended I call the Austin office. This is where the poor service begins.

Tried to contact someone and found myself transferred to some centralized service. Person was put out that I was even bothering him and was in a bad mood. I gave up with that person. Tried another day and got a different person. I told them that I was looking for another SA so that I could develop a relationship with them. This person was also not helpful.

I received a text in early Feb from a Fremont number asking about my trade in. I do not have a Trade in so I had no idea why I was being asked this and I had done everything I could with my profile. I responded to the text per the request and figured it was all done.
Then a few weeks later I get a call from Tesla at Fremont asking the same Trade in question that I had already responded to. Clearly the Text process did not work. I told this person that my SA no longer worked for Tesla and asked if he could have someone else contact me. He said he would. Nothing was done.

I then tried again to find an SA by using the chat option on the Tesla web site. That person was very helpful and said that they would contact the Austin location and ask them to contact me. She also provided their email address and recommended that I send them an email, which I did.

Many weeks have passed and not a single response to the email.

I have responded to the text chat that started when I scheduled the test drive and ordered the vehicle. Nobody ever responds.

This is my first Tesla and thus far, I am not impressed by the purchase experience.

I have owned many brands and purchased many cars. I have experienced it all buying from dealers. The good and the bad.

I will save my final judgement for the Tesla buying experience until I have taken delivery.

The communication so far has been awful and they give me zero confidence that when I do finally take delivery, its going to be an easy process.

I really think that this is where Tesla is failing and I think it will come back to bite them unless things improve.
As other OEMs start pushing out their own good EVs, people might think twice about a Tesla due to the service they get when ordering a vehicle.

I want Tesla to succeed and I wish we had Tesla employees on this forum who could share why its so bad for so many of us.
My assumptions based on your previous message were incorrect. Apologies.
My experience with the local Showroom and SA were exactly opposite. Always got a response if I called the Showroom. I don't text unless required.
The factory, however, was much like you experience. An impersonal alien dreadnought with full momentum going only their way.
In which case I was able to get my SA to intervene to my benefit.

I took delivery in January (after 7 months wait) of an excellently constructed and very satisfying MYLR. No issues, 2500 miles in, all accessorized and enhanced now.

Reactions: carpendj
Tesla ignores my texts similar to @carpendj , so this kind of negative experience might be more common than you think, unfortunately.

Production sits at 1000 cars a week currently, goal of 10k by end of year. Just trying to post production related information in a production related thread. There were many areas of the factory that were not shown to the public as well as information pertaining to production of other vehicles. I think Musk’s timeline is spot on for next year considering the supply chain issues from raw materials all the way to logistics.

Reactions: DrGriz
Nailed it. The vast majority of their audience and most MY order holders aren't obsessing over MY models and specs they way we are (myself included). I was hoping for more, but in no way expecting more. CyberRodeo was a macro PR event, much bigger than the details about 1 current model.
the full cost of that event in Texas was still less than a single National Commercial produced by GM, Ford, or Stellantis.

The Tesla Internet Marketing Master Class on full display.

In my purchase experience emails get mostly ignored and if you want action you need to get them on the phone where you have their full attention.

An SA is one person. There is no 'them.'

You can bet though that if an SA is inundated with voice demands, the e-communications will suffer. Moreover, if thousands of waiting customers call and expect a long-winded explanation of exactly when to expect delivery, the support system will grind to a halt.

Reactions: WhiteWi and BGOwner
An SA is one person. There is no 'them.'

You can bet though that if an SA is inundated with voice demands, the e-communications will suffer. Moreover, if thousands of waiting customers call and expect a long-winded explanation of exactly when to expect delivery, the support system will grind to a halt.
Sure it's them because I had to speak with at least 3 of THEM to find out about my car and get delivery arranged. It would have been nice to be taken care of by one person but the first SA I talked with blew me off and I had to call back for another.

Reactions: SWIPE