Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y - Gigafactory Texas Production

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone notice the total and perfect lack of even one single customer posting about their new Austin Model Y?

This is what I want answered. Elon seems to have delivered some of the Ys to his employees, but we already know that his employees have been driving the Austin Ys for weeks. So what is new? No customer has reported they got an Austin Y.

I don't know why you guys are still arguing when the thing exists and is shown in the Tesla Raj video. If you watch the video it's showing 53 miles range at 19% charge. Doing the math properly results in 279 mile range (rounded up). It says Standard Dual Motor on the screen with an Austin VIN.

The only question that is left is now is not IF it exists, it is WHY it exists? Why make this thing?
My 2022 MYP is at 18% right now with 54 miles. Just sayin.

I think the 4680 cells have been a flop and that’s why they don’t say anything about efficiency and range improvement anymore. He said it is safer and lighter and easier to manufacture but no mention of improved efficiency or range. I could be wrong but the whole situation is fishy. They say deliveries have begun but no VIN numbers out yet and no change to the online contigurator. Something does not add up.

• Disagree
Reactions: WhiteWi and CaliX
That’s comes out to 300 even.
But the website says 303???

Just kidding. I think people are taking this way too seriously. Until there is a production vehicle confirmed with boots on the ground then we all should just chill. I’ve posted what I know as facts. Maybe the long range will become the standard range? Maybe standard range will be for commercial use only. Who knows. I don’t think it’s worth getting your panties all bunched up though. Maybe also, just maybe the ones that were delivered to the people last night just don’t post here or care. Is there a life outside Tesla motor club??

So you’re thinking 4680 production is low so they need to make these? Because they have to be 4680 cells because of the structural battery pack? I wish Tesla would say what was going on.
Totally agree , I think they are deliberately holding back information to make up for their bad planning or technical issues. I think this is hurting thier image, it will come back to bit them. Sad because I really like the style of the car.

As much energy as they put into the PR video before the live feed started, they def had the bandwidth to explain everything that needs explaining. They’re not explaining anything, though, and for some strategic reason.
Surely the std. dual motor will pop up on order page soon.

I think the 4680 cells have been a flop and that’s why they don’t say anything about efficiency and range improvement anymore. He said it is safer and lighter and easier to manufacture but no mention of improved efficiency or range. I could be wrong but the whole situation is fishy. They say deliveries have begun but no VIN numbers out yet and no change to the online contigurator. Something does not add up.
Not sure if he's an employee but someone posted about taking delivery at Cyber Fest before deleting the tweet.

It's also very possible that there are NDAs involved with the initial deliveries. I agree with everyone above though, the lack of ANY meaningful information last night makes it look like they are trying obfuscate or hide something.
Lol I mean why would they have NDAs? The love the publicity when someone posts online about their new Tesals. They have already announced 4680 MY prodcued at Austin. What is there to hide? Unless there is no viable product yet?

One possible scenario is that they are still not ready to begin customer deliveries but Elon being Elon said something on Twitter and they had to go through with the Gigafest party. He initially said April 1 but then postponed it to April 7. His timeslines have always been too optimistic.

So you’re thinking 4680 production is low so they need to make these? Because they have to be 4680 cells because of the structural battery pack? I wish Tesla would say what was going on.
Yes, they've already said they are only doing 4680 with the structural battery at Austin. If the cell production is constrained then a lower range car with far fewer cells let's them fill more orders in the short term.

Perhaps as 4680 issues with yield, performance, etc., get resolved they will start building all trims there, maybe they already are, who the hell knows?