Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y - Gigafactory Texas Production

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How do we know that the new MIT Model Y has 828 cells? I am seeing reference to this in many posts but dont recall that being stated by Tesla. Was someone able to actually count all 828 cells? Or is this just a guess? Seriously, not trying to be difficult but wondering where this number came from?

You can calculate yourself, since these are 4680 LFP cells

Cell volume compared to 2170:
(46/21)^2*(80/70) = 5.483

LFP has about 80% the volumetric energy as NCA
There are ~ 4400 cells in a 2170 NCA pack rated for 330 miles

Last edited:
How do we know that the new MIT Model Y has 828 cells? I am seeing reference to this in many posts but dont recall that being stated by Tesla. Was someone able to actually count all 828 cells? Or is this just a guess? Seriously, not trying to be difficult but wondering where this number came from?
Battery packs were on display in various levels of completion and they all had 828 cells - 12 clusters X 69 cells = 828. I wondered myself and paused a live stream in a few places and counted. Came up with the same number.

Reactions: JDEWD250
Lot of speculation here. I was at the rodeo and can tell you that most everything I’ve read here is wrong. Elon did give you product info during his comments. Y’all just have your own pre-misconceptions that make you think there’s more to it. He said they’re making model y’s here. And then delivered model y’s made here. All model y’s. It’s that simple. The new SR model isn’t even available to deliver yet, so those delivered were existing trims. “But employees…”. Nope, you’re wrong.

Honestly, you can’t appreciate the sheer size and magnitude of that facility until you get there. They have the capacity to build enough model y’s to meet demand for all existing trim levels and 12 more. 4680’s are still the bottle neck, but not nearly to the constrained level you all are saying like they have to choose to only build one, scaled down trim because of it. Oh man, and the 4680 is far from a failure. Going to be a huge game changer for all trim level model y’s, as is the new construction processes. Existing 2170 model y’s are still generations ahead of competitors, but the new ones truly will be a 2.0 product above that still.

About time we send a petition from members here to Tesla to ask for clarification on what will be built where with what batteries and roughly when! Anybody got a good contact?
Tesla doesn’t owe us anything other than cars that match the specs on the website when you ordered. If you can accept this fact, you will accept your Fremont MYP and enjoy it a lot more. There is no place during ordering that describes battery type or chemistry. You continuing to demand more information is perpetuating the hype blogs’ rumors. Drop it. Enjoy your Fremont Y. When Tesla wants to release the information, they will.

Tesla doesn’t owe us anything other than cars that match the specs on the website when you ordered. If you can accept this fact, you will accept your Fremont MYP and enjoy it a lot more. There is no place during ordering that describes battery type or chemistry. You continuing to demand more information is perpetuating the hype blogs’ rumors. Drop it. Enjoy your Fremont Y. When Tesla wants to release the information, they will.

Moreover, asking for future data that does not exist yet is a fool's errand.
Some posters here remind me of donkey in Shrek. "Are we there yet ?!!? "

Welcome to the ramp.

I don’t know how to like comments, but this is exactly on point.

Stole this from the interwebs, but needless to say looks like the SR is all we’re getting out of Austin for the foreseeable future

0126F57E-4050-43FC-97B4-A4F58BB77A41.jpeg

You say that the "EPA doesn't test the car in any way", and then you immediately contradict yourself and say they do sometimes...

So while a lot of times the data is self reported, in some cases the EPA does the testing themselves.

I should have added a qualifier like "initially" or "normally". The process for getting a car listed with the EPA doesn't require external testing. Later for any number of reasons you could be forced to submit cars for external testing.

Update June 16 2020: The EPA has sent in the following statement: EPA can confirm that we approved a 402 mile range for the updated Tesla Model S Long Range Plus. Tesla has updated the 2020 Model S Long Range Plus vehicle making several changes to the vehicle from the one EPA previously tested. EPA approved the new label value based on a review of the testing protocols and data submitted by Tesla and found it was complete and accurate.

This update is from Tesla Model S officially breaks the 400 mile EPA range barrier | Engadget

But I looked and all the 2021 and 2022 Teslas still say they were tested internally.

The test data used to determine fuel economy estimates is derived from vehicle testing done at EPA's National Vehicle and Fuel Emissions Laboratory in Ann Arbor, Michigan, and by vehicle manufacturers who submit their own test data to EPA.
EPA requires auto manufacturers to change or update their MPG (miles per gallon) values on fuel economy labels (window stickers) if information comes to light that show that the values are too high. See revisions to fuel economy label estimates.
but that page doesn't have a Tesla section.

EPA requires auto manufacturers to revise MPG (miles per gallon) values on fuel economy labels (window stickers) if relevant information becomes available that show that values are too high. EPA oversees the MPG values on fuel economy labels in a variety of ways including:

• Conducting independent testing on about 15% of vehicle models each year. This testing is done on pre-production vehicles provided by manufacturers.
  • Testing in-use cars and trucks to confirm the fuel economy labels are accurate for post-production vehicles.
  • Assessing information provided by consumer groups, the auto industry, and fueleconomy.gov to identify models for further testing.

but the spreadsheets they let you download don't show 15% tested, they show a noticeably lower number.

So between the lines you have to know that the spreadsheet is either initial test or most recent test or otherwise incomplete and there are other tests that aren't being published at Data on Cars used for Testing Fuel Economy | US EPA

Reports on Cars used for Testing Fuel Economy | US EPA only goes up to 1997 so it's no help.

Download Fuel Economy Data has data up to 2022 but it's the efficiency and range data, doesn't say who tested it.

So yeah, I can't point you to public EPA data for a Model S test where the door was left open or where an external tester tested it in any way. Maybe a tesla employee did that test? Maybe the EPA just didn't list it in the public data files?

It would be nice if the EPA had a better test history for cars so you could look up a specific manufacturer and see a list of all the tests done for or by that manufacturer.

Except the part about owing us cars that match the specs on the website. They have no problem pulling features like radar between order and delivery.
Fair enough. I’ll concede that. And we’re all playing the game of trying to get one of the first 4680 MY’s, so we do buy with hopes of newer tech by delivery. BUT, I do still agree that Tesla (and Elon Musk) don’t owe us updates on internal projects not yet released to the public. I’m in the same boat, hoping to get the new generation MY, but some of the comments here just come off so whiny and entitled.

Lot of speculation here. I was at the rodeo and can tell you that most everything I’ve read here is wrong. Elon did give you product info during his comments. Y’all just have your own pre-misconceptions that make you think there’s more to it. He said they’re making model y’s here. And then delivered model y’s made here. All model y’s. It’s that simple. The new SR model isn’t even available to deliver yet, so those delivered were existing trims. “But employees…”. Nope, you’re wrong.

Honestly, you can’t appreciate the sheer size and magnitude of that facility until you get there. They have the capacity to build enough model y’s to meet demand for all existing trim levels and 12 more. 4680’s are still the bottle neck, but not nearly to the constrained level you all are saying like they have to choose to only build one, scaled down trim because of it. Oh man, and the 4680 is far from a failure. Going to be a huge game changer for all trim level model y’s, as is the new construction processes. Existing 2170 model y’s are still generations ahead of competitors, but the new ones truly will be a 2.0 product above that still.
I posted this a couple hours ago, but it looks like it must have gotten taken down or something.

I am beginning to think he may be trolling.... He said earlier he would stop coming here and just take delivery of the MYP because all this speculation was ruining his experience..... And yet.....

Except the part about owing us cars that match the specs on the website. They have no problem pulling features like radar between order and delivery.

Point taken, but Tesla did inform us about the removal of radar upon VIN assignment. Removal of passenger lumbar now was a removal without warning/informing us and relied on customers going to social media to alert us over.